“Management and Security lacking”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Little Rock
Ranked #25 of 63 Hotels in Little Rock
DFW, TX
“Management and Security lacking”
Reviewed October 20, 2007

I am currently writing this from my room at this hotel since I logged into this site to see if there are any crime complaints for this hotel. That's how secure I'm feeling at the moment, in spite of, or rather because of all of the armed guards patrolling around. Or maybe it's the men that have been been congregated outside of my room for the past couple of hours with beers and no shirts on (currently midnight). Or maybe it's the group of drunk guests(?) hanging out by my car in the parking garage. Then again maybe it's the barrage of advisements and warnings about theft and maximum numbers of guests in suites by the front desk. A couple of discreet signs sure, but these signs are practically the decor by the check-in area, which by the way was unmanned for the first ten minutes of our arrival.

Not that I didn't see a couple of employees hurrying by to kick unruly guests out of the pool. One of which, the manager, was too busy putting on a show of what an emergency this was to heed my suggestion that he stop to check in a guest (I netted a blank stare before he ran off). The pool "crisis" would explain why there were women smoking just outside the front entrance, dressed only in their swimsuits while complaining loudly of being splashed. When the manager came back and got through waiting on the person behind us, the "check-in" proceeded in the same less-than-helpful manner.

To be fair there is a high school reunion going on tonight (does not explain the men outside my room...as they are much younger). I just wish the manager would have warned us (especially since I asked several probing questions) that the entrance from the parking garage elevator would take us through a hall completely blocked off by a professional photographer. I really appreciated carrying a baby and helping my two toddlers navigate the camera gear and backdrop while drunk party goers stumbled around them.

By the way, the manager said the $3 parking garage would be a safer place to park the car. Actually it's only two levels and both can be freely walked into from the bi-level parking lot outside. That's a waste of $3, unless you count that it's lit up really well, well enough to see what's in your car.

It's also $10 for the Internet connection, but I am pleased that it's a secure wired connection. I really ought to wait until check-out to give this place a final review, but I'm so disgusted having stayed at many other Embassy Suites during our three-week trip and being very pleased with every one of them until this last one. This is not in the same class as your typical Embassy Suites. Reunion or not, nothing is handled discreetly or with finesse by this management. The room is older and less impressive than what I've come to expect at Embassy, but still nice and the public areas are very pretty. If you like to party, come on over!

I'm not sure the #6 out of whatever rating for Little Rock is really that impressive given that we stayed at the Courtyard in Little Rock at the beginning of our trip and of all of our stays these two were the only bad ones. The best of Little Rock may not be so good, all things being relative. I hope these were just off nights for them.

• Liked — wired Internet connection in room
  • Disliked — management
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank leafppr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 14, 2007

We stayed for three nights, while visiting family. I was impressed with the staff from check-in, bell persons, housekeeping and breakfast staff. Without exception, I sensed their hospitality and genuine concern for our comfort and satisfaction. We paid $169. per night including breakfast. Breakfast includes cooked-to -order omelettes and pancakes plus buffet-style fruit, biscuits, gravy, grits, oatmeal, french toast, hash browns, cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, juices, toast, bagels, pastries, coffee and tea. Everything was very tasty, especially considering the number of people they feed. We were always able to find a clean table available. The atrium at the center of the hotel, typical for Embassy Suites, was beautifully planted and had water features containing lovely koi fish. All in all, it was very pretty and well-maintained. The room was clean and serviced well throughout our stay. You should know that this is a popular place with a number of meeting rooms, so, at times, there are large groups of people arriving and departing for various functions. We had a quiet room on the top floor (9th) so we were not at all affected, and loved the view. This hotel is in the newer west Little Rock area, with many familiar chain stores and restaurants nearby. The drive to the downtown area took about 20 minutes, although we didn't travel during what would be rush hour, when it could possibly be a bit longer. The Embassy Suites chain provides, to me, a step up from many of the more typical hotels, as it has two room suites, breakfast, and a real customer service attitude. I'd stay there again.

Stayed October 2007
pittsburgh, pa
Reviewed July 19, 2007

Embassey Suites in Little Rock was a god send during our vacation. I really needed to relax after driving several days and Embassey Suites provided. The room was larger than most Embassey Suites. We were able to connect to the internet and touch base at home and the kids were able to swim and wear themselves out. And of course, the made to order breakfast the next morning started your day off positively.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Denver, CO
Reviewed May 17, 2007

From the outside, this hotel looks nice. Inside there is a 9-story atrium landscaped with many large plants and a stream with fish going through it. This divides the breakfast/lunch area and provides a nice setting. However, I found the breakfast to be somewhat average. The rooms were the usual, spacious Embassy Suites-size suites. However, there was nothing above average in amenities or furnishings. The staff was friendly. It isn't a bad hotel, but for a $150+ room rate, it was overpriced. $10 internet adds to the disappointment, as do parking charges (which are mentioned in other reviews but weren't confirmed). It appears there are several nearby hotels which might be classed lower but actually provide the same or better amenities for ~$100 - a much better deal. For the price, the Embassy Suites wasn't worth an atrium and an average room.

Stayed May 2007
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed April 4, 2007

Stayed last weekend for 3 nights at the Embassy Suites in Little Rock and was a bit disappointed in this particular Embassy Suites.
Property looks very nice from outside and atrium lobby was nice. Check-in went Ok but we found our room to be a bit worn...not quite as fresh as other Embassy's we have been to. Carpet needed to be replaced,...furniture seemed tired...bedskirt and douvet was sort of thrown on ...pillows were old and smelly...not the new feather pillows that Hilton properties have... and bathroom needed renovation. Looked like newish tile on floor but counters were old fake marble composition and sink was very small. Tub was very concave on botton and was hard to stand up in it. Floor lamp bulb was burned out..telephone in bedroom did not work.

We are Hilton Honors members , so we asked if they had any renovated rooms...we were told they had some with new carpet, but none were available. Large Parking lot was totally full with a convention and when we asked if we could park in garage , they wanted to charge us, but after telling front desk about problems in our room, they finally but reluctantly gave us a garage pass code.

Like another reviewer stated, there is no free wine or beer at reception ( it costs $1.00 per Arkansas law or something) and when we were there the snack trays were empty. Finally met the bar tender, who went out of his way to fix us up.

Breakfast was OK, but nothing special. No free internet in rooms or lobby, and they charge $10. a day for it. We used the business office instead.

We stay in hotels approx. 7-10 nights a month, mostly at Hilton & Marriott properties and are very picky about cleanliness, decor, service and such and this Embassy just wasn't up to par.
Probably would not stay here again until some problems are fixed. We had a rate of $124. a night but would not want to pay more than about $80. for a room here as it is now.

• Liked — Atrium was nice.
  • Disliked — old carpet and smelly pillows
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank tripstakeus

Travelers are raving about these Little Rock hotels

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed September 17, 2006

I stayed here recently, and while the hotel was comfortable, there was no wireless in the room. The business center was so inadequate and outdated that it could not even accept a memory stick to print some basic pdf files. I ended up wasting 20 minutes at their "business center" and then going to Kinkos down the street to do my printing - a grand total of 40 minutes spent to print three files. It's odd because they seem very set up for conferences and business events. Odd to have so little in terms of business facilities.

On the other hand, the staff there are quite friendly and the area is good for food options.

I would stay here again for personal travel, but not for business.

• Liked — Beds
  • Disliked — Business Center
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank Diane C
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 30, 2005

I have loved this hotel since my wedding night. The room was a wedding gift from my cousin who worked for a partner corporation. Me and my wife celebrate by booking a room on our wedding day every year. The room is nice and well cleaned. The bed is comfortable. Room sevice excellent don't have to call and ask about your food order. The pool and spa area are clean. But the actually reason why I love this hotel is the breakfast in the morning. Oh!!! the food is so tasteful. So before I travel to a place I check see if there is a Embassy Suites.

• Stayed April 2005