Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Free Museum

NativeFloridian1960
Central Florida, Florida
via mobile

All reviews arkansas history inaugural gowns civil war battle beautiful building free admission quilt exhibit donations accepted musical instruments great history interesting exhibits love history lots of history favorite exhibit worth a visit bill clinton temporary exhibits second floor
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Seeing and walking through the historic building was very interesting. However, the exhibits left a lot to be desired.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This museum is next door to the Marriott hotel so we just walked over. Gorgeous grounds, very nice museum and it's free! My favorite exhibits were the Arkansas First Ladies Gown exhibit and the African American Quilt exhibit. Check it out - the architecture is beautiful and there is a lot of Arkansas history.

Reviewed October 7, 2018

Free Admission but donations accepted. The museum itself is just fascinating. Full of history. Easy to follow. Staff very helpful. The exhibits are well thought out and presented nicely. The ladies were setting up the Miss Arkansas exhibit as we walked through. They let us have a sneak peek. Very nice There are steps involved but there is an elevator. Bathrooms on first floor. Very clean. Parking is on the street with meters or at the hotel next door for a fee. I never did find free parking.

Reviewed September 6, 2018 via mobile

Where do I begin? First of all it’s free, but donations are welcome and deserved. The Old State House Museum is gorgeous inside and out. The building itself is enough reason to just stop in. But, there’s more...

There are so many small, unique exhibits such as the African American Women’s Quilting Exhibit, the Cabinet of Curiosities, a gun used by Bonnie and Clyde, an elephant leg bone, and so so much more. It’s all eclectic but very relevant to the unique history of Little Rock.

There is a small train and dress up area down stairs for children, but honestly once you leave that room the kids will probably be bored. So while I went with my little ones, others may not want to spend long there...but I recommend stopping even with small children for however long you can manage because this place is fascinating if you love history, architecture, and unique stories. Would definitely go again in the future!

1  Thank Hannah R
Reviewed August 12, 2018 via mobile

I really enjoyed my visit. I am glad they included an exhibit on quilts to showcase the creative labor of black women and told the story of important black figures in Arkansas' history. However I felt that Native history was underrepresented with only a few artefacts and little to no information on the indigenous people from that area. Instead there were just a few generic objects from well known tribes that were not from Arkansas. In the future I hope they will include more about settler colonialism.

What I enjoyed the most was talking to the women working at this museum. They were so warm and insightful that they breathed life into the history of Arkansas and gave me great hope for the future of this museum.

Reviewed July 25, 2018

Went here during my granddaughters TaeKwanDo tournament. There was an African American quilt exhibit which was wonderful. I stayed to tour the rest of the museum and found it quite exceptional. Highly recommend. It’s free!!

Reviewed July 23, 2018 via mobile

This is worth a visit. Very friendly staff and a lot of interesting exhibits. There was a special exhibits about quilts when we were there. And a murder was committed here during a legislative session ......

Reviewed July 22, 2018

We visited thr old state house museum while the miss Arkansas pageant was taking place outside om the front lawn
The museum is free to enter with a donation box of you wish yo contribute.
Hilary Clinton's red dress is on show but there is no sign of Monica's " black " dress.
This is the State Capital building that William Jefferson Clinton stepped out of when he first became president of the USA.
Plenty of things to see inside including old bones and birds eggs and quilts and of cause American history.
Greeted with a friendly welcome .
take note of the cannon balls on the front lawn,The cannon balls in the outside grounds are too big to fit in the cannon !!

Reviewed July 9, 2018

I have not been to the OSH since I was a child and wasn't expecting much on my last visit, but when I took my young son to see the exhibit, I was pleasantly surprised. The staff was knowledgeable and helpful, and the exhibits were varied and interesting. Keep up the good work!

Reviewed May 26, 2018

Excellent place to study Arkansas history. They have done a great job of keeping the place in great shape. The staff was very friendly and very helpful. The exhibits were choked full of info. Several videos that were professionally done and full of info. My only disappointment was that many of the first floor exhibits were closed. Other than that, it is worth a visit. Admission is free.

2  Thank travelfanarkansas