“Lived up to the high expectations”
Review of The Iron Gate Inn

The Iron Gate Inn
Ranked #1 of 12 Cedar City B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is my first time trying a B&B, but even with that limited experience, I won't hesitate to rate this place as "excellent."

From the time we arrived through breakfast the next morning, Susan was an awesome host. She even offered us a free upgrade to a larger room when we arrived. We ended up declining because we liked the coziness of our room, the Ruby G, and its view of the garden outside. Also, the Ruby G is literally right off the dining area. I saw that as a plus because we'd definitely know when breakfast was served by the noise outside (breakfast is promptly served at 8:15am).

Speaking of breakfast, it was like a home-cooked meal and it was delicious! It certainly helps that the weather was terrific. We were able to enjoy our quiche, peaches (presumably picked from their trees), danishes, bacon, coffee, and OJ outside on their garden patio.

I think that's the allure of the B&B. It's more like you're a guest at someone's house, not unlike the experiences I've had so far with CouchSurfing. As a result, all of the other guests are friendly as well.

Oh and the proximity to SUU and the Shakespeare Festival is definitely a plus. It's a quick 5-minute walk--just a small block away--to the Randall L. Jones Theatre.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank thedlr

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I booked a number of rooms for a large family, and they adored staying at the hotel. They also pointed out that Susan was extremely helpful while they were there. But that is not all: since I had booked those rooms months in advance, over the following months I kept pestering Susan with questions regarding things to do, information about plays, recommendations for restaurants, and other odd requests. She was always extremely helpful and went out of her way to help me make this a memorable visit to Cedar City for the family. This is what really sets apart her B&B from other "very good" places, it's the "extra mile" she puts in that makes the Iron Gate Inn the best choice in Cedar City.

Room Tip: If you are with a large family, take the carriage house...and/ or get Susan's advice - and trust...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Franzi F
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I found this amazing place on a cross-country drive from Los Angeles to Colorado. Actually I found it by accident through yelp as I asked Siri on my iPhone for the best local hotel as I drove in. I almost stayed at the Comfort inn down the street and am so glad that I chose this place instead. It was Immaculately clean, well designed and thought out, a truly beautiful restoration and an amazing bed-and-breakfast! The owners/hosts are incredibly warm and inviting and the breakfast was wonderful. I would recommend this to anyone traveling between Los Angeles and anywhere if you're on the road and you're in Cedar city Utah stop here, it's a great place and I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank JohnMzenGTR
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I plan to come back and stay in the same place again and again. I attended an academic conference at the university, and this B&B is just a couple blocks from campus (which means it's also just a couple of blocks from the theaters). It was not only the perfect location -- but also the perfect level of comfort. I slept WELL (which is saying something, since I rarely sleep well in hotels), and found the shower to have good water pressure (something I tend to be picky about), and the decor was -- as described -- not too frilly, but just right. The breakfasts were delicious and both mornings I ate them on the gorgeous outdoor patio. Susan and C.R. were both wonderfully knowledgable and helpful -- sincerely kind people. We also enjoyed a quick tasting in the winery on the premises. (That seemed like a cultural anomaly in Utah -- and all the more fun for it's rarity.) We also used the sitting room to do work on our computers one morning, and found it quite comfortable. This B&B has a homey family ambiance, but yet feels both professional and decadent. I also appreciated the maid service each day.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Emma Jane, which was on the back side. Seemed very quiet, but I assume that all of th...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jay M
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I went to Cedar City to see the Monument but when I arrived, it was hot and overcast and I decided to postpone my trip for a few hours. I fell into a deep sleep in my wonderful room at The Iron gate Inn. I didn't want to leave the bed but just to look around at all the wonderful extras that my hosts had put in the room for my comfort and interest. I was happy to explore the town even if I didn't take advantage of the Shakespeare or Neil Simon Festival. the next morning at breakfast, everyone was cheerful, informative and friendly, talking about the previous night's performance at The Festival. I even got to meet one of the costume designers. I was sorry to leave.Good choice reviewers! Thank you. Next time I will plan a longer stay and enjoy Shakespeare as well.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank grannynanny
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This house was built in the late 1800's but renovated a few years ago. Rooms are named after late aunts and grandmothers which adds to the nostalgia, but I could not even tell you the name of our room! All rooms have their own bath. We were in a king room, which was very spacious with a large shower with three sets of faucets, and two sinks, which was great--you have no idea how my husband can hog a sink! The rooms were amazingly quiet. This should be your choice for lodging when you either attend the Shakespeare festival or you are just visiting. Blew my previous unfavorable vision of B&B's right out the window. Owners were helpful but not annoying. They pretty much left us alone to attend the theater events and see the sights. but they were completely knowledgeable about day trips and other things to do when asked. Breakfasts were great and served at 8:15. I had a little issue with the wifi, but honestly, decided not to work anyway. Oh, and there is a winery on property--that was a great touch. Restaurants to try would be Milt's Stage Shop--casual but good, Centro Pizza is fabulous, and the Depot Grill (don't let the boring but pretty ads fool you) was tremendous. We will definitely go back!

Room Tip: We chose top floor, but wanted a king bed. There might have only been 2 room options for king beds...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ChelleFromVegas
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This is such a lovely place and in a perfect location. We were so close to the Utah Shakespeare festival - about a block away. And we were a very short drive to the most beautiful national parks and monument so that we were able to hike in the red rocks during the day, come back to rest iin our beautifiul room in the afternoon and then see fabulous theatre in the evening. As an added plus, there is a winery behind the B&B where we could sample delicious wines after the shows.

The breakfasts were terrific and our hosts could not have been more gracious and helpful. This is the place to stay in Cedar City! Don't miss it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple