“Single Doesn't Mean Second Class”
Review of Milts Stage Stop

Milts Stage Stop
Ranked #7 of 121 Restaurants in Cedar City
Cuisines: American, Diner, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: A steak and seafood house located 5 miles east of Cedar City on Highway 14. We have a rustic cabin atmospher in a beautiful canyon setting
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I had been traveling for some weeks before passing through Cedar City and, though I tried not to let previous experiences influence how I was Milt's Stage Stop, it was hard not to have negative feelings. I'll start by saying that, for the most part, I was traveling the country by car, by myself, and in that time, I found that many restaurants seem to treat single visitors a certain way. Repeatedly, I was lead to tables in dark corners or next to the service station or kitchen while perfectly good tables by windows or in bright, beautiful areas of the room stood empty. Waste of space? I don't know, but it was fairly consistent. At Milt's I finally asked if I could have a nice table by the window while they were shoving off into a corner of a relatively uncrowded dining room. The host told me that he had a reservation for a window table and that he reserved that one for another party. Fair enough. While I sat there, numerous other window tables became available and were clearly given randomly to other parties. There was never a time after 5 minutes that there was not a window table. In the meantime, I noted the menu to be very overpriced, (one fish special was $39 and even the waitress winced at that one) but figured the food might be extraordinary. The bar, however, was very reasonable, (a martini was $4.50, but it was precisely measured and small. Still, that's fair. I ordered the filet and a baked potato. The filet was tender but nearly devoid of any flavor. The potato was dry (as though made earlier and reheated or had been sitting around for hours) and luke warm. In the end, for what I paid to sit in a dark corner and eat mediocre food at a premium price, I can't say Milt's is a very good value. Of course, I was only there one night and value is relative. Perhaps, compared to other places in town, Milt's IS a gem. I try to buy local when I travel and avoid the chains, which is why TripAdvisor is such a Godsend, but frankly, I would have been much happier at an Outback than at Milt's, and that takes a lot for me to say that.

3  Thank nm8rdave

Reviewed August 2, 2010

During a recent stay in Cedar City, my husband and I ate at Milt's. The desk clark at the hotel recommended it to us, and we were very pleased. It is located on the Utah highway that goes to Bryson Canyon, and is called the Canyon Highway. Milt's is only a few miles from town, and is an easy, picturesque drive. We noticed while we were there that this is a place locals like, which counts for a lot in our book. Our server was prompt and friendly; made recommendations that were absolutely great, and we enjoyed our meals very much.

The decor of the restaurant is log cabin, which is extremely appropriate for the setting and the town.

Reviewed August 2, 2010

Excellent steaks in a killer location. Food is fine but nothing really noteworthy. I can recommend the petite fillet. Service was first-rate for a casual dining place.

Reviewed July 24, 2010

Granted, there aren't very many good restaurants in Cedar City, but Milt's reviews are a little over-zealous. We thought this would be a classy place. Instead we were faced with vinyl tablecloths and rickety chairs. The prime rib was overcooked and the vegetables were hardly cooked at all. And prepare to shell out a few bucks for no atmosphere and less than mediocre food.

Reviewed May 13, 2010

It was our first trip to milts but wont be our last. We travle through Cedar two or three times a year. This trip the girl at the front desk recomended Milt's. WE LOVED IT. The food was great and the log cabin atmosphere was beautiful. We enjoyed our meal sitting next to the firepalce (which was nice since there was a foot of snow out side). We split their New York Strip and each had a salad from their salad bar. It was the best food we have had in a really long time and we eat out alot. Can't wait to get back.

Been to Milts Stage Stop? Share your experiences!