“It's fine, for a Motel.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Abbey Inn

Abbey Inn
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Cedar City
Scottsdale, Arizona
“It's fine, for a Motel.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

We don't come to Cedar City for the accommodations; we come for the Shakespeare Festival! But we are still on the lookout for a place we really enjoy staying. The Abbey Inn has a few things to its credit: friendly staff, comfy beds and clean linens, Bath & Body Works soaps/lotion, and a very convenient location - close to fast food, main street, and SUU campus. The few disappointments: shampoo but no conditioner, pillows that are too lofty and lumpy (no alternatives available), and water restrictors in the shower (slow dribble or hard needle spray). We can see that they try here, but we will look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Korean first
Greeley, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

This is a very comfortable two-story motel with clean, nicely appointed rooms at reasonable rates, convenient to Interstate15 and downtown Cedar City. I stayed here one night while on a road trip to national parks. I arrived later than I wanted, around 10:30 p.m., after underestimating the difficulty of the drive from Bryce Canyon to Cedar City by way of State Hwy 14, an arduous mountain pass just east of town that is better negotiated during the day. (There were a few close calls, but fortunately I did not arrive with a deer plastered onto my car grille.) I had a simple meal at the IHOP next door to the motel before checking in, exhausted, and was very glad to have such a nice room (mine was on the upper floor). The motel reaches back in perpendicular fashion from a relatively narrow frontage on the street, so that traffic noise is not an issue. There are, however, no appreciable scenic views from the rooms. The bed was comfortable, with good quality linens and thick pillows. The rooms are not huge, but mine accommodated two queen beds, a table, chairs, and a dresser while still leaving a modicum of floor space. The interior is decorated with rich fabrics and furniture that lean more toward the elegant than do most lodgings at this price (I paid a total of around $73 including taxes). Little creature comforts such as a partitioned cubby for a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and drinks counter are much appreciated. The free wireless internet signal was consistently strong. Regrettably, I didn’t have time for a swim in the indoor pool. The windowless bathroom is small but clean and outfitted with modern fixtures, decent towels, and nice soap/shampoo products. Hot water in the tub/shower was prompt and plentiful. Breakfast is included in the price of the room. The motel has acquired single-family dwellings on adjacent properties, renting one of them for a family vacation house and using another for a breakfast house where guests can have cereal, breads, fruit and hot dishes self-served with disposable plates and flatware. The staff was professional and friendly. The gentleman at the front desk was very courteous, and check-in and check-out both went smoothly. I would definitely return to Abbey Inn, and hopefully next time I’ll get there earlier in the evening!

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms will eliminate any annoyance from car headlights.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
stuckett, General Manager at Abbey Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Your review of us, is very detailed and has some great information. We are glad that you missed the deer on SR 14. It is a wonderful drive and if you didn't see it in the daylight hours, it is one that was missed. It has beautiful views. The deer and elk can be troublesome at night. Thank you for the comments, made in detail. They are most helpful. You seem to be a writer. I know what you have decribed, as your great stay, will be very helpful to those that visit us in the future.
We are very proud of our staff. They work very hard to take care of our guests. Thank you for noticing. Have a great Summer! We hope to see you soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

Very clean, large rooms. Big flat screen TV. Great beds, lots of pillows. Nice separate breakfast house with a great hot breakfast. They serve scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravy, make your own waffle, fruit (peach, apple & orange).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
stuckett, General Manager at Abbey Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Thank you for staying with us at the Abbey Inn. Thank you for your great comment!. It is very important to us, that you enjoyed your stay. Your comments mean so much to us. You are our best advertiser. We hope to see you again, when you return Cedar City.
Happy Traveling!
Santa Barbara, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

Spent two nights at Abbey Inn on a transcontinental motorcycle trip with a riding buddy. On the way east, the rate was very nice ($66.60 +tax) and the breakfast a pleasant surprise. Two gentlemen at the desk with suits on were pleasant and helpful. We were so impressed we routed our trip west through Cedar City again. This time the two women at the desk were not so friendly, and the rate had gone up to almost $100. At that price, with the less friendly service, the experience was about like other places we've stayed. Turns out the Shakespeare Festival was happening, so I'm sure that's why the rate went up. It's just business - supply and demand. Unfortunately, it erased the glowing feeling we had about the place. Also, it's a crap shoot which personality you'll get.

Also, internet service was spotty in the rooms we had. One room it worked, one room it didn't, about 3 doors down from the other room.

Cleanliness was good, and the upkeep for this price level motel was above average.

Room Tip: Go before mid-June when they raise the rates.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
stuckett, General Manager at Abbey Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
I REALLY need to apologize to you. I am extremely sad that your experience with "the two women" was unpleasant. It sounds, by the review, that we were the people that broke your great experience, and caused it to be middle of the pack. We do have a great staff and our personalities are very different. We don't mean to come off rude.
We apologize that the women's personalities didn't suit you. I am sure we didn't feel comfortable telling you that the rates, did go up for the Summer Season. It is a very uncomfortable situation, when confronted about it, especially, if it made you upset. That was never our intent. We have some pretty great ladies that work here as well as our well dressed men. We hope you will give us another chance.
Please accept our sincerest apologies for letting you down. The Abbey Inn is a wonderful place to stay and ALL of the staff is here to help you, with any problems you may have.
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

This review (it starts after the dashed lines below if you want to straight to it) is part of a 'set' of hotels/motels/attractions I stayed in/experienced whilst touring the region in and around southern Utah, aiming to visit the fantastic National Parks there, by hire car in May 2011.

I have created an extensive Trip Advisor 'Trip List' which details the numerous significant attractions I visited/the places I stayed in enroute and includes a tour map and (hopefully) lots of helpful information/Internet/Trip Advisor links.

Trip Advisor haven't (yet ?) properly integrated it for direct access: to get to it you start by doing the required action to see my individual TA reviews/photos/videos (which I hope you will !) by mouse-clicking my profile 'name' located in the top-left corner of this review, below my profile picture of the Giza Pyramids, then mouse-clicking the blue 'Reviews' link from the resulting pop-up window. As well now being able to see my reviews, you can then access my Trip List by looking in the left-hand 'Contributions list (there you can also see my photos/videos direct) and select 'Trip List' - it is entitled 'Las Vegas + South Utah National Parks + Monument Valley, Arizona - May 2011'; click the title link and away you go - easy, NOT ! (TA admin please note !)

For accommodation my price range was $50-$60incl/night (occasionally up to $90incl due to local 'inflation'), for non-smoking rooms in establishments which were best located for visiting the nearby venue (sometimes for several days), that were TA reviewed as quiet/clean and should be well-equipped (eg fridge, wi-fi); I was not too bothered about what eateries etc were in the local area, nor if there were things like a swimming pool, as my days were maximised for visiting the associated National Park/hiking etc, the room being used to reflect on the day/'unwind'/sleep in !

-------------

I originally booked a 2-night stay at the Abbey Inn direct from their website to use as a base for a day-visit to nearby Cedar Breaks NM. However, I arrived having taken advantage of their 24hr cancellation policy and had, easily and without any quibbles from them, amended my booking by phone the day before to just a 1-night stopover, since the Cedar Breaks scenic drive was still impassable due to snow; the cost was $68incl for a twin-bedded room on a Sunday night.

The hotel is located in a built-up/busy area; the smart reception area is at the front, separated from the road by a large car park meaning the side-facing rooms are setback from the road enough to make for a relatively peaceful stay. There is plenty more parking space at the sides, adjacent to the rooms and the setting does mean you shouldn't expect any outside views of any note.

The check-in staff were efficient and courteous; this was only the third place I stayed provided handy information regarding the cable-TV channels etc (why can't all places provide such info ? I've got better things to do than flick through some 99 TV channels of, mostly, absolute rubbish !). Directions/times for breakfast at the dedicated dining 'house' located behind the hotel were also provided.

The room was very plush with lots of pleasant antique-style furniture which made the overall appearance a little 'dark'; there was a desk and soft armchair. Towards the en-suite bath/shower room with WC was a cubicle for the fridge/microwave together with a luggage/hanging area. The integrated aircon worked very effectively, as long as you note the instructions on the standard-looking fan unit to ignore the control knobs and use the separate wall-mounted thermostat/switchbox ! Everything was clean, smart and tidy with a comfy bed with no bed bugs (I have never had them in ANY bed in ANY hotel and am of the opinion that reviews which mention them are malicious !). The w-fi also worked fine.

As advertised, breakfast was more than the 'usual' as it included scrambled eggs/sausage as well the usual toast etc; unfortunately the increase in quality didn't include preventing diners having to eat with polystyrene plates/cups and plastic cutlery (yuk !), but you can't have everything I suppose !

I've had little remarkable to say about the Abbey Inn as there is not much to quibble about; for somewhere clean and comfortable to stay in central Cedar City which is fairly reasonably priced you can't really go wrong.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank LPWilliams
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

Located right off of the Cedar City exit on I-15, the sold out motel looked like the best in the city, and it was perfect for what we were looking for.

The room was very clean, and it even included a mini fridge and microwave. The bathroom was spotless, and the only thing missing was a fan in the bathroom (hey, it would have helped!) The flat screen TV made it very modern, and the AC unit worked perfect and wasn't too noisy. It was a little loud next door, but it was full of a bunch of guys (but they went to bed before midnight). The extra fast free WIFI made the evening great.

My wife and I couldn't park outside of our room due to the sold out status, but it was a short walk to the larger lot near the front of the motel. The pool looked good, but we were hoping that it would have been outdoors.

The best part of the stay was the full breakfast that was offered in the small house behind the motel. Eggs, waffles, sausage, oatmeal, fresh fruit, coffee, orange juice, apple juice, and more were great to start the day. Only thing missing were hash browns! (my favorite).

All in all, we did not spend much time there (only one night, checking in around 6 and leaving around 8 in the morning) but it was great for our stay. We will stay again.

Room Tip: Second floor, to avoid vehicle lights shining in.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
stuckett, General Manager at Abbey Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Thank you, for giving us "above par"! We are very grateful that you enjoyed your stay. We are an independent hotel and try very hard to be above average. We are happy to have owners who really care about the property. We try to keep things updated and nice.
We hope you will visit us, again, real soon!
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2011

The hotel is a little dated, but has been renovated. Nice indoor pool/hot tub that was very clean. There is also a nice outdoor patio attached to the indoor pool where you can tan. The bed was comfortable, but some people may find it too soft. The pillows were very thick. If you like a flatter pillow, you may not like these. Nice large screen t.v. The bathroom toiletries were really nice from Bath and Body. Breakfast was very good, not the usual continental breakfast. They had waffles, eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, oatmeal, cereals, fruit, different juices and coffee. We also learned the rooms are a bit cheaper during the weekend versus a weekday. Not sure why, but we were happy to get a cheaper rate. We'd definately stay here again. The front desk staff were awesome. Very curteous and helpful in suggesting places to eat.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
stuckett, General Manager at Abbey Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
We are happy that you liked the Abbey Inn. I am ont sure why your rate was lower on the weekend than the weekday, except that we have been running a promotion. Sometimes our staff will lower the rate because of availability. Nevertheless, that can be a good thing!
We were Built in 1992 and have very concientious owners, who update our properties, constantly. We are ALWAYS in transition. We hope that each time you stay with us, you will find something new! We will work on that outdated look.
Thank you for saying with us and thank you for your wonderful comments.
We hope to see you soon!