“Muy Bueno”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed September 25, 2010

We just had a great dinner there. We have been on the road from Magnolia, Texas for 3 weeks and craving some good Mexican food. The food was fantastic and the Margaritas on the rocks were too. Food did not come out fast because it was not pre-made. The wait staff was attentive and the cook stayed busy. When we pass this way again we look forward to getting our Mexican food fix at La Casa Don Miguel!

There are newer reviews for La Casa Don Miguel

Reviewed July 26, 2010

We visited this restaurant last Thursday evening. I liked the atmostphere - very casual. It seemed to be in an old house. It was busy - a good sign, right? Also, we were able to order beers, which was a nice surprise in Utah.

We arrived at the restaurant at around 6:20, thinking we had plenty of time to get to the Shakespeare Festival performance at 8:00 (just down the street). It took about 20 minutes to get a table inside, which we decided to wait for as we found their outside patio area kind of isolated and dusty. We still thought we had plenty of time. After sitting there for another 20 minutes or so with only beers and chips, I finally got up and found someone to take our order. They seemed quite busy and stressed out. When we still did not have our food at 7:15, I got up and told the woman who seemed to be in charge that I would like to pay for our tab in advance because we were probably going to need to leave immediately after eating. She apologized and said she would check with the kitchen and see if they could speed our order up a bit. I paid for the bill. While we continued to wait for our food, two tables walked out because they felt they had waited too long. We finally got our food at 7:35, after being at the restaurant for over an hour. The food was excellent - it was a shame we only had about 10 minutes to eat it!

I don't know what happened - maybe a cook called in sick or something? Anyway, they clearly seated waaay more people than they could handle. The food just wasn't coming out fast enough.

The food was so good that I would give this place another chance - but I would definitely allow some extra time and tell the server immediately that we had somewhere to be (and ask if they thought we would get our food in time). I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that there were some abnormal circumstances - this couldn't happen every night, could it?

1  Thank CasaGrande_AZCgaz
Reviewed July 16, 2010

I have to say that this is possibly some of the worst Mexican food I have ever had. I love authentic Mexican food (as I have several friends from Mexico who have cooked for me) and this was terrible. I ordered the mole chicken enchiladas and there was maybe two tablespoons of mole on the enchiladas and the rest of the enchiladas were literally saturated with cheese. The rice was very bland and the beans tasted rotten. My husband had the supreme plate and his chicken tasted like it was freezer burned - not to mention that some of his chicken was still frozen! The burrito on his plate was completely watery/soggy and the pepper in his relleno was a pile of mush - I have never seen a pepper in a relleno look like this one did. I should also mention that it took 45 minutes to get our plates of freezer-burned, poorly reheated food. One other table left since it took so long to get their food. The restaurant itself was essentially a hole-in-the-wall. Save your money and go elsewhere.

Reviewed June 29, 2010

We had a large party of 12 and they did a great job of accommodating us. Very good food...authentic and not greasy. Good prices! Highly recommended for a laid-back dinner.

Reviewed June 24, 2010

We stayed in Cedar City, UT in mid-June 2010 to visit Bryce Canyon. We are from Texas where Mexican and Tex-Mex is ubiquitous and like to think we know the good from the really good. The food at La Casa Don Miguel is absolutely fantastic! Really tasty without being overbearing or greasy in any way. I would recommend a cross-country trip just for their food!!!

Been to La Casa Don Miguel? Share your experiences!