“Nice small town restaurant”
Review of Garden House of Cedar City - CLOSED

Garden House of Cedar City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Garden House has a very large menu with reasonable prices. The atmosphere is cute. Service could be a little faster. Close to the theatre. Small rooms so there is not a noise factor. All in all a nice place to eat.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

This restaurant is on a quiet street in an older home...which I find lovely and cozy. If you're seated in the main room near the windows I imagine it stays lovely...however, we were seated in a windowless back room on old church pews. I love the idea...however...the lighting was too bright and detracted from the experience. The cushions are a good idea but should be upgraded to something more substantial that stays in place. The portions are large...and while we enjoyed the food...the presentation was lacking (somewhat sloppy with the soups and the caprese salad). In many ways it was a problem with too much of a good thing. For instance...the dessert was tasty but was HUGE with WAY too much whipped cream and far too much cinnamon...a dusting would have been subtle and really added to the taste but this was a dousing. It seems weird to say it but smaller portions done with more flare would have been preferable. I still recommend this restaurant...but would suggest calling ahead for a seat near a window...and, perhaps, splitting the meal even if there's an extra charge. A lot of potential here I think...would have loved to have seen a richer palette in the napkins, more refined silver...and fresh flowers and lit candles on the tables...with dimmed lighting overall.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

The Garden House is one of only two fine dining restaurants in Cedar City. It's a very relaxing place for my wife and I to eat. We can walk there from our hotel and then walk to see our Utah Shakespeare play.

We've been eating there every year for the last seven years. While it's not as consistent as it used to be (sometimes the steaks/chicken are overcooked and dry), we usually have a good experience. We specifically ask to sit outside when the weather permits. Our waitress this year was very nice and attentive.

As far as the food, it was more "eh" this year than usual. The house soup was the best part of the meal. The pear salad was good. . .but we had to send it back for the pears! The desserts were also nothing to write home about. Again, it was more about the very relaxing outside atmosphere. Also, they are a Utah Public Radio MemberCard business so we were able to get one entree free.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

The food is delicious and the service excellent--we always plan dinner at the Garden House when we visit Cedar City for the Shakespeare Festival. Worth the prices.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Excellent service, excellent soups, good selection salads and entrees. We fell in love with the atmosphere. It's in an old house and you are seated in different rooms. The food and service are good and if I lived anywhere close I would be a regular at this place.