“not what it used to be”

Cedar City, Utah
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“not what it used to be”
Reviewed March 20, 2012

This used to be my favorite Cedar City restaurant. The fish was once the best around. Fresh and really good quality. Their 10 lb chocolate cake was fabulous--rich and dense with a homemade from scratch quality and really good fudge-like butter frosting. The salads were excellent and the ambiance of the old house and mature garden quaint and lovely. Over the past 2 years my family and I noticed a steady downhill trend. My son said the prime rib wasn't as good as it had been in the past. The fish was old and freezer burned and dry after cooking. The cake was a sponge cake instead of the original 10 lb cake and it had a very inferior chocolate sauce poured over it instead of frosting. It had been warmed before serving with ice cream I imagine to disguise how truly mundane it was. The ladies' restroom had one of the thickest blooms of orange mold I've seen anywhere in the ceiling tile which was sagging ominously. The restroom in general appeared dirty. I returned for dinner a few weeks ago because some friends had decided to go there. I had the cobb salad with shrimp. The greens were limited to a few types of the dark green type and were bitter. They were limp even for that type of lettuce greens. The shrimp appeared somewhat translucent making me wonder if they had been cooked sufficiently. Two of my friends ordered the dinners that came with sweet potatoes and were served rice without any warning. The waiter replaced the rice with sweet potatoes when they requested it. However what they were served were 3 small pieces of overcooked sweet potatoes unceremoniously dumped on their plates. A trip to the ladies' room was astonishing. The moldy tile was still sagging there after 8 months however the vibrant orange was now a dismal gray color with borders of faded and darkened orange. Unbelievable. The only change in the ladies' room was now the door stuck very stubbornly and required much effort to close it with a loud scraping sound that caught the attention of the diners in the adjacent dining room. At least I didn't get sick after this visit. I did get sick 36 hours after the summer visit. Perhaps a coincidence. But maybe not.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank Vicky P

Utah
“The Finest Prime Rib I've Ever Had”
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I've eaten prime ribs from New York to San Francisco and I have to tell you this place provided the finest prime rib I EVER ate in my life to date. The owner comes around to the tables to check and make sure all is well. Service is amazing, and the atmosphere is wonderful. I rather think ideal for a adult couple especially. The menu was vast enough but if you're there for dinner you simply MUST try the prime rib. I'm not kidding it's amazing. We stayed at a little bed and breakfast place across the road from here and the owner there recommended this place. Glad we came and you will be too.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank dcisive
Utah
“Lunches are great”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

More upscale restaurant, nice setting; more intimate. Lunch is a good value for the money and the sandwiches are unique to normal fare found at restaurants.

Visited December 2011
Cedar City, Utah
“Alway's a treat !!”
Reviewed November 22, 2011

This is my favorite restaurant in the Cedar City area. I work in retail and often get asked where to go for a good dinner in Cedar City. I always recommend The Garden House. I have not had one person come back to me and say they did not like their visit. The food is always fresh. The little old house is fun to dine in and the atmosphere is perfect. Our wait staff was spot on. Yes there is NO alcohol but that to me is a plus! You will leave with a smile and a full belly !!!

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank cedarcitydave
las vegas NV
“Good Food, warm and inviting atmosphere.”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

great food close to Shakespeare Festival and main street cedar city.

• Visited October 2011