“Go for the broasted chicken, stay for the local flair.”

Thurmont Kountry Kitchen
Ranked #2 of 28 Restaurants in Thurmont
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hagerstown, Maryland
“Go for the broasted chicken, stay for the local flair.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

This small town restaurant is quintessential Thurmont. Most of the folks who work there know most of the folks who dine there by name. They have a long list of savory (read as: health-conscious eaters need not apply) sandwiches and entrees but the gold star goes to their broasted chicken. It is the best chicken I've ever eaten--salty, crispy, and glisteningly moist. It is a must-eat.

Virginia
“Good, inexpensive place for lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

We stopped on our way to Cunningham Falls. Typical diner, but with an overwhelming menu. There were so many choices.
The service was prompt and friendly. We all ordered different cheesey hot sandwiches and they were all very good. The sides were just okay. The fruit salad was out of a can.
Good prices!
We drove by it several times before finding it. It is located next to Rube's Crab Shack.

Delhi, New York
“Ok diner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2009

Food was good but a bit over priced for less than normal diner-sized portions.

Annandale, Virginia
“Terrific comfort food, great local restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

I'll confess, I'm from the Midwest and am used to down-home, comfort food. Those places are hard to come by in my area (Northern VA) so when my husband and I travel, we always like to try to find those cozy, local restaurants that serve good, down-home fresh cooking. We have found such a place. On our way to Emmitsburg, MD, we stopped in the Kountry Kitchen in Thurmont. We stopped there based on good reviews on Trip Advisor and other web sites. We were not disappointed! I'll admit, this place doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside it is kind simple, but cute and cozy. Obviously, the locals go there. Everyone seems to know one another. The service is very good and the food is terrific! We loved it. Portions are generous but not wasteful. I had their speciality, broasted chicken, and it was the best I have ever had. We also had corn fritters and fried apple crescents and they come with a good amount of powdered sugar. I don't know of many places that serve that kind of food. They have one of the most extensive menus I have ever seen--anything you want in home cooking or diner type food, they have. The desserts are wonderful too. The waitresses are friendly. We ate in the back of the restaurant, the first time, which is actually decorated nicer than the front part. The kitchen separates both parts of the restaurant. An odd arrangement, but the back room was a much later add-on. We enjoyed it so much we ate there again coming back from Emmitsburg. We tried the hot turkey sandwich with gravy which was excellent and the corn fritters again! The menu has a very extensive list of vegetables and side dishes. I saw some things that I could not get in my area, must be the German or Amish influence in the area. Best of all, it was not expensive. It's not a fancy place, and it is good, fresh comfort food. If you are looking for fine and fancy (and expensive) dining and atmosphere, this is not the place. If you want good, fresh, home cooking, you will not be disappointed! I highly recommend the Kountry Kitchen.

1 Thank VAvisitor
Washington, DC
“Sandwiches are good, desserts are awesome.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2009

My friend and I went in here while we were staying at Cunningham Falls State Park. The restaurant doesn't look like a winner at first, but there is a kind of homey charm about the decorating. That might have something to do with the family pictures the adorn the walls, or it might just be the dark green wallpaper, who can say?

The sandwiches that my friend and I got were good, she's a vegetarian and had just about the only vegetarian sandwich on the menu but she said that it was very good. I had a grilled crabcake sandwich with cheddar on top. Who knew that cheese and crab would go together so well on a sandwich?

The salad bar is a bit sparse, but they do have some great pasta salad varieties there. Being a seafood fan, the crab pasta salad was my favorite, but my friend liked their plain pasta salad, too.

Dessert is a must in this place. While their menu is huge, the dessert menu seems just as large, with all kinds of cake, pie, and ice-cream. We got a double fudge brownie sundae that was really tasty and just what we needed after hiking the trails in the morning.

I'll go back!