“Really Nice Place!”

Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 18, 2014

The Shamrock Restaurant in Thurmont, MD is a really nice place. The people are really friendly, and the food is delicious! The fish & chips had a huge piece of fish, and it was fabulous. Its mainly a local place, but those are the best kind. I'd highly recommend it!!

Reviewed August 10, 2014

Passed by this little restaurant many times and finally decided to stop. We were glad we did! We were surprised that there were no Irish selections in a restaurant decorated throughout with green shamrocks, but the food they did serve, though not Irish, was wonderful. Their Maryland crab soup was very good, tomato based and not creamy. The soup and salad lunch selection came with a large bowl of one of the three choices of soup and a big hunk of homemade bread. The bread was so delicious that we had to take a loaf home. The turkey avocado club sandwich was full of roasted turkey, tomato, avocado, and bacon served on their homemade triangular shaped roll. What a different take on a club sandwich! So much better! Dessert didn't disappoint either!
Had a piece of the raspberry peach pie with a crumb topping. Wow! We won't be passing this place without stopping from now on.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

This is my husbands review of the place - he stopped with a friend on the way home from a trip to Maryland and he said he liked this place alot. He ordered a Reuben and said it was very good and service was good. It's always crowded every time we go buy - must say something about this place!

Reviewed August 1, 2014

We saw the reviews and thought we would give this place a chance on the way to Gettysburg. The decor is Irish but the wallpaper is Italian and was peeling near our corner table. My husband had the stuffed fish which was very bland. I had the reuben sandwich which came with no sauce - how can it be a rueben without the sauce - way too much sauerkraut too which didn't sit well with me a few hours later. Prices were on the high side for us considering the quality and taste. I wouldn't return.

1  Thank FoxFamily00
Reviewed July 31, 2014

This restaurant has been around for a long time and just gets better. Its a small place on the highway but GO inside. The atmosphere is welcoming and cozy. In winter there is a large fireplace burning. This is an Irish style atmosphere. The service is wonderful, and friendly. The food is fabulous and the desserts are all homemade and can also be carryout for later !!! OH MY the pie's are to die for. I was there a few weeks ago and I had pan seared soft crabs that were the best I have ever had in a restaurant and I am a true Marylander who was raised on Maryland seafood. They were HUGE and cooked to perfection. You could order the "WHALES" for $1.00 more. I didn't and could hardly even finish my dinner. Oh yes did I mention the small salad bar and HOMEMADE breads !! You will not be disappointed. It does get busy on weekends. Lots to do in the area so go up and enjoy a wonderful meal and of course-dessert ! They also have a bar in a separate room. In the fall is beautiful up there, go spend the day and then have a wonderful meal !