“Okay but quality not worth the price”

Fitzgerald's Shamrock Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 29 Restaurants in Thurmont
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We saw the reviews and thought we would give this place a chance on the way to Gettysburg. The decor is Irish but the wallpaper is Italian and was peeling near our corner table. My husband had the stuffed fish which was very bland. I had the reuben sandwich which came with no sauce - how can it be a rueben without the sauce - way too much sauerkraut too which didn't sit well with me a few hours later. Prices were on the high side for us considering the quality and taste. I wouldn't return.

1  Thank FoxFamily00
There are newer reviews for Fitzgerald's Shamrock Restaurant

Reviewed July 31, 2014

This restaurant has been around for a long time and just gets better. Its a small place on the highway but GO inside. The atmosphere is welcoming and cozy. In winter there is a large fireplace burning. This is an Irish style atmosphere. The service is wonderful, and friendly. The food is fabulous and the desserts are all homemade and can also be carryout for later !!! OH MY the pie's are to die for. I was there a few weeks ago and I had pan seared soft crabs that were the best I have ever had in a restaurant and I am a true Marylander who was raised on Maryland seafood. They were HUGE and cooked to perfection. You could order the "WHALES" for $1.00 more. I didn't and could hardly even finish my dinner. Oh yes did I mention the small salad bar and HOMEMADE breads !! You will not be disappointed. It does get busy on weekends. Lots to do in the area so go up and enjoy a wonderful meal and of course-dessert ! They also have a bar in a separate room. In the fall is beautiful up there, go spend the day and then have a wonderful meal !

Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stopped here on a trip back from Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania, and had a wonderful meal. I hardly every order crab cakes outside of the Baltimore area because they just don’t do them as well elsewhere; however after seeing reviews on Trip Advisor, we thought we would take a chance. They were excellent with nice lump crab meat and no fillers. I personally like a little more old bay seasoning in mine, but we still enjoyed them immensely. Their crab soup was very tasty also. For dessert we had a gigantic piece of coconut cake, also delicious. This place has been around since 1963, and now I can see why. Their food is nothing fancy but very well prepared with good ingredients.

Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

We couldn't decide which was more amazing. Lump crabmeat with almost no binder, sweet and light, or flaky homemade crust with fresh peaches, cherries, and blueberries. We are glad we had both!
Don't miss this best example of a wayside restaurant that is worth going out of your way! The Irish themed gifts are a pleasing plus. Attentive staff members clearly take pride in their work.

1  Thank ChooseToThrive
Reviewed July 15, 2014

The Shamrock Inn offers a nice dinner but:
* The salad bar is very plain more like a standard chain restaurant
* The service was indifferent- the bottle of wine that was ordered came ten minutes after the main entry was served and that was only because the waitress was reminded.

I would not rush to return.

1  Thank Stephen11000