“Service is outstanding”

Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 16, 2014

This is an old school restaurant that I really wanted to like more than I did. Our server, Mitchell, was outstanding. Very on top of his game and just cheesy enough to make me really like him. We started with the onion rings, which were very good. Nice and crisp. We also chose the salad bar option, which was a serviceable, decent salad bar with your main salad type stuff, plus some macaroni salad and pasta salad. I should have gone heavier on the salad bar. They advertize the soft shell crabs on their sign, which I ordered sauteed. In hindsight, maybe I should have gone with deep fried. These were fishy and just grease laden, like crab shaped lard. I only ate about 1/4 of the plate. The baked potato it came with was good. My husband got the deep fried crab cake, which he deemed "meh". I did not complian, just because the service is that good. They should be able to clone Mitchell and make him a waiter at every restaurant, ever. If I went back, I would probably pick another option, like the steak. Hit or miss, but with that service, I'd try it again.

1  Thank noreenj31

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Lunch here was quite good. The sign outside said they have the best soft shell crabs west of DC and I believe it. Their VA and MD po boy was delicious! Two soft shell crabs with Virginia ham...yummy. The blackened ribeye sandwich, though a bit salty, was OK. And, their signature crab soup full of chunks of crab is worth your attention. Ask about daily dinner specials during the week.

1  Thank WhereBenhasbeen
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I've stopped at the Shamrock a number of times over the past 30 years and find it happily unchanged. Food is uncomplicated and good, if not great. Service is friendly. Prices are very reasonable. All of which you can find other places. What you can't find is the sense of stepping back into the 1960s or '70s...which the Shamrock delivers in a very nice way. Maybe it's my age, but I find it comforting to think a place like this can prosper these days. Anyway, we made a good meal of Md crab soup, corned beef, salmon, fish and chips, grilled bread, onion rings, coconut cake and peach pie.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stopped in for drinks and appetizers a few years ago when in the area, which was such a great experience, it prompted us to return this trip.

As before, we dined in the lounge area and our bartender (I cannot recall his name) was as gracious and attendance as before. He makes the best mixed drinks (and is one of the few people who makes his own sour mix for cocktails, which makes a difference).

We had the crab dip (which was great, and served with some of the best, fresh bread), and crab balls (which was served with veggies, some of the best Brie cheese I have had, and crackers).

The bartender was gracious to share the history of the restaurant (which once upon a time ago was a country-western bar in which the late, great Patsy Cline once sang).

It was a great experience and glad to have another great experience.

Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

This is like going to Grandma's for Sunday dinner. We love the ambiance at this family owned place. The room is sunny and clean with very attentive servers. The food is definitely comfort type delicious fare. The vegetables when in season are grown on the property. The Irish dishes are authentic and the seafood is terrific. Don't miss the soft shell crabs or the Scottish salmon. We love their pies and iced tea. You really need to stop here on a Sunday afternoon , I know you will revel in the nostalgia of it all.

1  Thank Libby K