“Great for Shad Roe!”

Fitzgerald's Shamrock Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 28 Restaurants in Thurmont
Cuisines: American, Irish, Bar, Soups
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Frederick, Maryland
“Great for Shad Roe!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

Shamrock is one of a handful of restaurants that serve Shad fish and roe in the spring. It also has Guiness on draft and is a good place for basic Irish fare.

Visited April 2014

Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
“Lunch ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

Very quaint Irish restaurant. Very good food, especially open faced roast beef sandwich and gravy. Place was packed and now I know why. Friendly efficient staff!

Thurmont, Maryland
“Nice Restaurant with Good Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

We recently moved to this rural area, and we are happy to have an attractive restaurant nearby. When people visit from out of town we do not need to travel far if we choose to have lunch or dinner out. The restaurant features Irish specialties as well as other popular American food. The prices are higher than most other restaurants in the vicinity but the food, service and atmosphere are highly satisfactory.

• Visited November 2013
Frederick, Maryland
“Not sure what people see.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

I live near this restaurant and have visited 6 times over the last 15 years and have been disappointed each time. The price does not justify the quality of food served. I have had their seafood platters, corned beef and cabbage, other various dishes, and most recently their famous shad and roe. Starting with my most recent experience: the shad and roe are their annual signature dish. Articles in the local paper have been written about it, their highway sign proclaims the arrival of the shad. I have been thinking about going for this dish for the last 5 years and I finally did. My fish was dry and somewhat tasteless, and the roe was dry as well. The kiss of death for such a dish and for over $20 you would want more. My lunch mates had the corned beef and cabbage - this was a few days after St Patrick's Day (their big event) - the cabbage was not seasoned at all, brownish, and luke-warm. The plates were sent back to be warmed. The green beans seemed to be straight out of the can and the corned beef was just not that good. They offer a worn out salad bar as well. A few years ago I did have a fish and chips that was decent - though other reviews state the fish and chips to be not very good, maybe I got lucky. I did get a Scotch (Irish) egg as an app. and it was good. I have had a good black and tan here as well. The atmosphere is nice. I have never been to Ireland, but I have been to England and it has a nice English country restaurant feel. Our latest server was very good.

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank Roonwit
Chicago, Illinois
“not impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

Eat here on St. Patrick's Day. They did have music and dancing for the occasion but the food is not the greatest. The Irish Hen and Ham is listed as being served in many pubs in Ireland. I do not recall ever seeing it on a menu in Ireland. It was basically half a chicken breast with the wing still attached stuffed with two slices of Virginia ham. No real flavor at all. It came with a lump of what I think was stuffing on the side. The salad bar is very small and not the freshest of choices were available. On the positive side the bread was very good as was the coleslaw. So if you’re in the mood for bar food and beer the Shamrock is not a bad option. If you’re looking for traditional Irish food this is not the place I would go.

• Visited March 2014