“Cunningham Falls State Park, Manor Area Camping”

Cunningham Falls State Park
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Thurmont
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the Catoctin Mountains, this park is well-known for its history, scenic beauty and various recreational facilities including campsites, hiking trails, picnic areas and fishing piers.
Baltimore, MD
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Cunningham Falls State Park, Manor Area Camping”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I would have given this camp ground 3 out 5, but for a very neat surprise while walking around right before leaving. What was the surprise? Go to Youtube, search for "The Urban Hippie Experimentalist", and look for my review of Cunningham Falls, Manor area.

This campground is nestled in among the tall, mature trees, and has a secluded feel. Each camp site is nicely situated away from the others. So why would I have given this campground only 3 dots? Because the campground is close to Route 15, and you hear a constant drone of highway traffic noise, even late at night.

Other than that, the campground is generally excellent! The bathrooms are clean(but without hand soap!), and it has a nice quite feel.

The Rvers where a little noisy while we were staying here, but we sleep in a little guy, silver shadow, so we were able to sleep just fine.

The middle row, and some closer to the highway have electricity.

At this campground there is a very nice, and innovative children's play area made out of recycled tires. It took a creative mind to lay out this play area. It is very unique an innovative. They have a castle for the kids to play in, tire swings, and even a dragon made out of tires! The has a layer of chipped up tires on it, and is very soft, which would prevent kids knee injuries. Both from jumping onto the ground, and falling, and skinning knees.

There is also a Predator bird aviary. Owls, hawks, and falcons. In addition to a turtle pond, with the largest snapping turtle I have ever seen!

Overall, even with the traffic noise, and excellent stay! What I saw the last day entirely made the trip! Something I haven't seen in over 40 years of living in southern PA/Northern Maryland!

Mark :)

1 Thank markcas123

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Gorgeous!!!”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

These are gorgeous falls with amazing photo opportunities! We hiked up the face of the falls which was physically demanding, but so much fun! It was definitely worth the work out!

Note: there is a small fee to get into the park (per person, except for children in car seats)

Visited May 2013
Silver Spring, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Some good things...some not so good things...”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

In the last four months, I have visited Cunningham Falls State Park twice. Once I rented a camper cabin in the Houck campground. It was an unseasonably cold and windy April weekend. The cabin was not even remotely airtight. I could feel the wind coming into the cabin. Thankfully I had packed a portable heater to combat the cold. There were a lot of stink bugs in the cabin and I even saw a couple of roaches (yuck). I would probably not rent a camper cabin again. On a more positive note: the bathrooms were clean, water was easily accessible in the camping loop, and there were some cool rock formations around for the kids to climb on. We enjoyed taking the trail to the falls.

The second time, I camped in my popup at the Manor campground. While we did have an electric hookup, the overall feel of the Manor area is more primitive than the Houck area. The campsites are not as well kept and many of them present a serious challenge in backing a camper into the spot as there are several large trees right next to the narrow road. There was a wasp nest in our electric box, and there were a ton of ticks and other bugs in the shower. Apparently bears and venomous snakes area more frequently seen in that part of the park, too, and there is poison ivy everywhere. The Manor Campground does not have a dump station, either...you have to go all the way to the Houck campground for a dump station. Not sure I would camp again in the Manor area, but I would try an electric site at the Houck campground.

While I didn't love the campground, the aviary is pretty cool and we had a great day at the lake and taking the trail to the falls and the guided trail to the Catoctin Furnace. So two thumbs up for the day use areas, but the campgrounds could use some improvement.

1 Thank D M
Maryland
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Our favorite place to visit”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Whether you plan a day trip, regular camping, or camper cabins, this park has everything you need. There is even a camp loop that accepts pets. We use the camper cabins, they are set up for 4 or 6 people and all are nice. Yes, you have to walk to the bathrooms but it's fun and an adventure. Nothing like sitting around the campfire talking and toasting marshmallows. There is a lake for boating and fishing. Trails for hiking and a waterfall.

Visited October 2012
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor at the manor”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Stayed at the manor. It's not close to the main campgrounds and difficult to find. Sites are very small. Campers cut through sites to get to restrooms/showers. Seems to be the forgotten part of the park. It's a mess with cut trees, overgrown sites and cinder filled places to set up. Drainage is poor and algae covers everything making it dangerous to walk. We won't put this on our favorites list and will try hard to forget the experience.

1 Thank 3schroeder