“Wonderful hikes, views, and easily accesible”

Catoctin Mountain Park
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Thurmont
More attraction details
Owner description: You can't visit the Presidential retreat of Camp David here, but you can take advantage of the park's 25 miles of scenic hiking trails plus many outdoor activities including camping, fishing and picnicking.
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We were staying in Cunningham Falls State Park, so we visited the Falls, then parked in Catoctin Park, and did a day hike. We did a loop:

Entered the park off of Rt 77, parked at the next parking lot up the road from the Visitor Center. Hiked to Wolf Rock (nice rock face) then to Chimney Rock (great views), then hiked downhill to the visitor center, and back up to our car.

Parts of that loop were strenuous; not really recommended for small children.

Definitely will return to check out the other overlooks on the trails.

3  Thank pdrum

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We loved our hike at Catoctin over Memorial Day weekend. The trails are well marked, the visitor center is welcoming and has all the information you could need, the park staff are friendly, and the views are incredible. The trails were relatively advanced, though, so I wouldn't recommend this park for young children.

2  Thank Sandi D
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My daughter and I made a visiting two years ago and the park was amazing. I've been to a number of State Parks in both PA and MD, but I've never seen the large number of wildlife that we came across that day. Tons of birds, small fish, lizards, deer, rabits, fox and even a young rattlesnake that had caught a fish and was fighting to kill, then eat it. However, the fish wasn't giving up that easy and the small rattler wasn't really sure how to swallow it. It was great to see this life struggle and it was happening right in front of us near the waterfall and stream. My girlfriend and I went back just recently and found that it hasn't changed, great wildlife and a really nice waterfall. Worth the hike!!!!!!

3  Thank J K
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I live in Frederick and go to CMP several times a year. I have hiked all the trails (yep, all), camped out in Locust Grove twice, and seen most every inch of the park. Those who trout fish might spend more time there than I have, but I have always found it to be a great get-away, especially when taking a dog.

2  Thank 2005-travel-lover
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We visited the park in Sept. and while it rained much of the time, we saw many beautiful views and enjoyed hiking.

Been to Catoctin Mountain Park? Share your experiences!