“Been going for years”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This place has been around for years and I have been going to this restaurant since I was a young child. Its a great place for families to gather for events. They serve home cooked goodness buffet style. So if you are looking for some homemade fried chicken, delicious homemade sides (Think Thanksgiving feast), a plentiful salad bar, and a plethora of homemade desserts this is the place for you. The place seems a little outdated and the uniforms have been the same forever but its comfy homestyle and family friendly for a reasonable price.

1  Thank jmesue323

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Been there once. Live in town. But the smells just turn me off. Old smell. Not clean smell. Hard to get past the smell. Food is mediocre at best. Waste of money. That being said the parking lot is often full of cars.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Local resident, and have been going to Mt Gate for 25 years. Nothing fancy, but good eats. The fried chicken is the best. The carved meats on the buffet are okay, if a little dry. The lunch buffet is the best deal in town. Breakfast is not their strong suite.

1  Thank Roonwit
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We were on our way back today and one of the folks in the car said we had to stop here for lunch. Best Buffet going with excellent fried chicken. When we walked in it was like the twilight zone, straight out of the sixties pretty strange. We were seated right away by a pleasant young woman and went to the Buffet. Pretty standard fare, nothing truly appealing. I went to the beef carving station, took one look at a grey overdone piece of meat and decided on the fried chicken instead. The chicken looked good, golden brown and non greasy. I walked through the vegetable section and got green beans with mashed potatoes figuring that would be safe. Numerous breads in plastic wrappers or bins, it all looked pretty amateurish to me.

The chicken had a nice crust but was dry. The mashed potatoes and green beans were heavy and greasy. The meal was sitting hard in my stomach. I went back for some salad, again a very unremarkable assortment of vegetables but at least they were fresh.

All in all the food was unremarkable. I guess there are people who like this kind of food but that would not be me. Very bland and heavy nothing to get excited about.

The staff was on the other hand very friendly, made sure we were okay and efficient. Not sure I can recommend this place at least if you have any taste buds that want something more exciting then cafeteria food. It was pretty expensive for what was presented. $14.95 all inclusive. I would skip it.

1  Thank D4379
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I planned a 40th birthday party for my oldest daughter. The staff was very accommodating when we planned this over the phone. We had a room to our selves, were able to bring a CD player and put out table decorations. No wall decorations were allowed. Having a buffet meant no cooking, clean up and a good variety for our guests. The food was good. Even tho they have a good variety of desserts, they allowed us to bring our own birthday cake, they provided a knife and server and they even gave us candles and a fire starter. They have a nice gift shop with interesting items for sale. They have been in business for several decades. We were charged $16.99 per adult which was tax and tip included. Children 8 and 12 were a lesser charge and the 2 yr babies were free. Would go there again without a problem.It is not a 5 star restaurant but is good home cooking. They even helped us hide a 6'8' surprise who had flown in to surprise his sister!

Been to Mountain Gate Family Restaurant? Share your experiences!