“Good food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mountain Gate Family Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 28 Restaurants in Thurmont
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Greenville, Ohio, United States
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

If you are passing by and have a big appetite stop by here. The food is good and the homemade breads are great. All kinds of dessert are available. If you go away hungry you have no one to blame but yourself. We have eaten here 4 times on different trips and have always had good food and good service. Even this past time with eight of us in the party.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Diana S

Frederick, Maryland
“Always Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stop several times a year at the Mountaingate. great food, quick service and with over 30 pies and cakes, it's a family favorite.

Visited May 2013
Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
“Not the best buffet on the block”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

I went 2 or 3 times hoping it would be better but I finally give up. They only offer a few entrees on the buffet. It's mostly sides and pies. My last time there the staff decided to have dinner all together at one table while customers were in the dining room. They were extremely loud and completely ignored all the customers while they were relaxing. I almost went up to the soda machine myself to get a refill after waiting about 10 minutes before I finally had to yell "excuse me" and hold up my glass to get the servers attention. I'm never going back there and If I am in the mood for a buffet in Thurmont I'm going to the Cozy right up the street.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hanover, Pennsylvania
“Selection was poor, service was adequate”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Our family group (16 people) stopped here on our way back to Pennsylvania from funeral inFrederick. About the only positive was that the place was empty so we could all sit at one very long table.
We got the buffet for a good price $7.95 since it was considered lunch time. The only thing edible from a meal standpoint was the fried chicken which I will say was quite good and still hot when I grabbed mine. Other choices were a sad looking meatloaf, a battered fish and some type of sliced sausage. They did have sliced ham lunch meat at the end of the buffet.
None of the food items were labeled which I found to be a bit strange. OK, I admit, I knew the fried chicken was fried chicken, but what was the sauce on the sausage? what kind of fish was it? they had some fritters on the buffet, I guessed right, they were apple. I got my monies worth of the chicken so thus the average rating overall. Not an organized place and looking quite worn..... we will try the Cozy next time I guess

Hayesville, North Carolina
“Better than most buffet's”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

We were visiting visiting family in the area and decided to go here for soup and salad. Only one had soup and salad, and the other three went for the buffet. I was pleasantly surprised that it was a pretty good buffet. I tried the turkey, which was one of the specials that nite. It was fairly good as was the fried chicken. Their breads are home made, and I really enjoyed their raisin bread. The boston creme pie was okay, and all the dinners came with free ice cream. This was not a fine eating place, but for a buffet, I thought that the food was a step above most of the others. Besides the basic meat and vegetables, that night they also offered a taco bar. All of us managed to find something we liked. I had eaten here quite a few years ago and did not remember the food being this good.