“Beware of online reservations”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Manhattan
Ranked #295 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This hotel is very well situated for a sight seeing vacation in New York City. The room was small but comfortable and well priced. However, I made my reservation online and when I arrived to check in they told me I had made 2 online reservations and since it was after their cancellation time (24 hours in advance) I would have to pay for both rooms. I explained to the manager and their customer service person that I had not made 2 reservations knowingly and I only received 1 email confirmation so it would have been impossible for me to cancel a reservation I didn't know I had. I was shunted to different people and told they would look into it but they never got back to me (I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights) and I was charged for the extra room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jenifer A

Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Where in NYC midtown can you find a clean room...king size comfortable bed for just over $200? Nowhere but, here at LA quinta. We are 2 women in nyc for fun...safe area, walk everywhere .....and we did. Only negative. ..smalll slow elevators..but don't let this deter you from staying here. Would absolutely stay here again and again. Two grandmas from AZ

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Djjworld
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel from June 12th-16th. Honestly, I was very skeptical of doing so after reading some of the other reviews. I can honestly say that I am so glad that I went with my gut. The price is really what made me make this hotel my final decision. We arrived to a warm welcome and a gentleman to help us with our luggage. Check-in was a breeze. We stayed on the 4th Floor in the corner room 412. It was perfect size for two people and it accomodated our luggage for 12 days as we were traveling to Jamaica thereafter. The bed was comfy cozy and the breakfast was great and had a variety of things to eat and drink. Our housekeeper was outstanding and she made sure we had fresh towels daily. Now this is the best part of your hotel, the location!!!! It was fabulous, I was a hop, skip and a jump from the subway and local eateries. We also enjoyed the rooftop bar and the amazing views of the city. Overall, with the price and value of this hotel we will make sure we return really soon, thanks for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed here June 16 - 19, 2013 with 3 other family members. Staff was very courteous and helpful. Continental breakfast was very good. I would grade our stay an A overall. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: No info to give on this.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Elliott D
Reviewed June 12, 2013

* The room: just what we needed! A medium size one, obviously renovated perfectly, that could fit our 4 baggages and had space for us to move around.
*The bed: a queen size one. It was HUGE and super comfortable!
No problems with the bathroom or the place where they kept our luggage until it was time to check in.
*The breakfast: yummy, any kind of donuts, toast, baggels. It had jam, peanutbutter, milk, yogurt, coffee, juices and some fruits. What we needed for a full day to follow.!!
*Close to a subway station: 3-5 minute to jump in and out to our destinations!!! One day we returned on foot from Central Park!!
* A lot of frozen yogart shops and pizza places cloze by if you explore the area!!
* We had a ride to the airport by a shuttle arranged by the hotel. We paid 56 dollars for 3 people and 6 baggages and we were there in 30 minutes!!! No taxi could top that!!!
HOWEVER:
The rooftop bar didn't have a good view and it was too small and the music too loud to chat with your company.
The elevators were a bit slow but actually who cares!!!!!
ALL IN ALL IT WAS A PERFECT CHOICE (INCLUDING THE PRICE, THE FREE BREAKFAST AND THE FAST WIRELESS INTERNET)

Room Tip: We were on the 6 floor and had no noise problem!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EvgeniaJo
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed for 8 nights from May 27. The hotel is right in the middle of Korea town and there a lots of Korean restaurants and other styles of restaurants very close. The staff were friendly and helpful. There is a rooftop bar which has great views of the Empire State Building. There is a subway station half a block from the hotel. The is a laundromat in the next block east in 32nd st. which has a wash and fold service. Our room was always cleaned well and was comfortable for what we needed. There is a tour desk in the hotel also. There is a basic breakfast included also.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SalandBrad
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The front of the hotel is a beautiful Beaux-arts style ornate brick and limestone façade with a rusticated stone base. Originally built as an apartment hotel, the Aberdeen Hotel (1902-04), it is now a designated city landmark in the Koreatown/Herald Square area. In 1912, the hotel’s suites were subdivided. That was a shame because this is perhaps the smallest hotel room we’ve ever encountered – even compared to Paris standards.

It looks like it’s been a while since the hotel room has been updated. The décor isn’t up to today’s standards. It was looking a little weary, but it was clean. The lobby is not bad looking and the staff were friendly. There is a small shop by the elevators but it doesn’t have a lot in it other than post cards, trinkets, soft drinks and maps. A pop machine is located on the bottom floor.

That said, we were only using the room to sleep in and the use of the breakfast room. Breakfast was included and had a great offering. All types of breads, muffins cereals, juices, coffee, tea, fresh fruit, eggs, pastries, yoghurt were to be had. You just help yourself and the food is replenished often.

Our room, on the 12th floor, basically consisted of a queen-size bed, and a three to four foot parameter around it. The room was roughly 10 ft x 15 ft. The challenge for two people here is to fit suitcases, clothes and move around comfortably. In addition, there was a fair-sized bathroom with small counter and sink and only a shower. I guess “bathroom” isn’t very aptly named here, as there was no bathtub. Next to the bathroom was a closet with maybe seven hangers, a shelf, and in-room safe. There is an iron and ironing board in the closet, but making room to use it is a bit of a chore. On one side of the bed was a side table with a lamp and the other side just a wall-mounted lamp. Beside the foot of the bed was a two-drawer dresser and above it was a flat screen TV. Opposite was a small desk, chair and coffee maker. The air conditioner, situated between the desk and dresser, was rather noisy and we had it off most of the time - plus we didn’t need it in May. The two windows had no views as they faced grungy neighbouring buildings.

There are two small elevators, but they are extremely slow. There is no 13th floor. Superstition has instead labelled it 14th floor, and that is where the roof bar is located. We could hear the noise from the bar in the wee hours that funnelled down the stairwell to our floor. We ended up closing the hallway doors at night so that at least we could sleep.

The 14th floor (really 13th) has the indoor/outdoor rooftop VU Bar offering a stunning view of the Empire State building right next door. Drinks are expensive here and the seating is limited due to the small size of the bar. Still, it is a great experience at night to see the Empire State building lit up and gazing down at you.

What sets this hotel apart from others is their low room rates for Midtown Manhattan and location, location, location. Restaurants, especially Korean ones, abound in and around the hotel, plus you are steps away from the Empire State Building, Macy's, the Fashion District, Penn Station, and Madison Square Garden. The subway and Times Square is also a short walk away.

Room Tip: Don't go near 12th floor elevators or stairwell. Noise from rooftop bar travels down stairwell.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple