“Location Location Location!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #280 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Jerusalem, Israel
“Location Location Location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is a great hotel - and seriously, the location can't be beat. It's not overly fancy, there is no big comfy lobby, no doorman, and other amenties you might find a more expensive place, but for the price i paid (125$ plus tax) you get a comfortable clean bed-bug-free room, in a nice property with a free (albeit carb-heavy) breakfast. The hotel also has a roof top bar (I didn't check it out) and a gym.

THe hotel is within walking distance to Penn Station, Herald Square, Times Square and loads of other NY attraction. there is a subway stop about half a block away. There are dozens of great little Asian restaurants right around the hotel, as well as the usual chains (Starbucks, and the like) so you won't go hungry.

The complimentary breakfast is typical of this type of hotel - lots of hot fresh coffee, cold cereals, toast, bagels, pastries, yoghurts, etc.

They don't allow late check out (unless you are willing to pay an extra 50 $ an hour) but they do allow you to store your luggage in a locked room in the lobby. There is also a shuttle bus service to the airport from the hotel - I didn't use it but it would be very convenient if you are using it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Easthampton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

After cancelling some reservations at other hotels around the areas based on reviews here, I ended up picking this hotel and I am so glad I did! This hotel is located in such a perfect part of the city! Only a 5 minute walk from the subway that takes you right up to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and Central Park or down to Chinatown! Just a 5 minute walk from the Penn Station too! There is a Hmart two stores down to pick up some cheaply priced water and other goods that are fairly priced than around the city.
I brought my mom here for her first time to NYC and we were in room 614, which was facing the road. I was a little worried about that but it was actually really quiet once I put the AC on. We got the king size bed and the room was so clean and just the perfect size for the two of us. Check in/out was super fast and we were able to store our luggage for free when we got into the city (10am) and after we checked out until we had to catch the train back home (5pm).
The staff was able to give us quick, pleasant and accurate answers and everyone we spoke to (luggage holder/house keeping) were extremely friendly and polite.
The breakfast was great and worth the 5 minutes of struggling with getting food with 20 other people. We had to eat in the lounge area because the small dinning area was full (8am) but that was alright because again, the selection and food was great! And free!
Elevators were pretty busy during the morning so we used the stairs. It's pretty expected and we were only on the sixth floor so that was alright for us! Good cardio!
My mom and I don't drink but we took advantage of going to the bar on the rooftop and saw the Empire all lit up! It was pretty amazing! We also looked at the menu and their prices are pretty amazing, cheaper than they are at home!

All in all, this was one of the best hotels I have stayed in for the price. I am totally coming back here for when my friend visits NYC for the first time this winter! Can't wait!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was in town with my boyfriend for an overnight stay while attending the Muse concert at Madison Square Garden. Not only was the location great (Only 2 blocks from Penn Station and MSG), but upon arrival, the woman was very pleasant and welcoming. She made a great suggestion for dinner and was very personable. We got to the room, and while it was a small New York style room, it was clean, modern and functional. I would definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: High floor is helpful to avoid city noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SF Bay Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

This hotel was very comfortable and convenient to the Metro. The room wasn't big, but it did have 2 chairs which is more than I can say for some more upscale hotels I've stayed at. And the air conditioning worked beautifully!! Unlike some hotel A/C units that never seem to get down to the temperature you set on the thermostat at, this one did. It was loud, which doesn't bother me in the least, but you might want to keep that in mind if it is an issue for you. The elevators were relatively slow. The rooftop bar had a great view of the Empire State building ... it's literally right there.
I'd stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Found a very good price on this hotel and are very pleased with our stay here! We arrived very late (had called to tell them of our late arrival) and when we checked in we were upgraded to a king bed. Nice. The room was of adequate size and the bed was so comfy.

I like La Quintas because of the free wifi and continental breakfast. The breakfast is plain and simple, but a bowl of cereal and cup of tea is enough to get me started in the morning -- quick and easy. The breakfast room was often crowded and we ended up taking breakfast back to our room when we couldn't find seats.

The location of this hotel is very good. You're 1/2 block from a subway stop that we used nearly every morning. You're close to the Empire State Building and Penn Station. There are restaurants all around, although we didn't eat in any of them.

Sometimes we had to wait for an un-full elevator. This is common when you have a lot of people staying in one place. We never had to wait more than 10 minutes (and we never took the stairs -- always grabbed an elevator).

The street noise didn't bother me even though there were people out at night and trash trucks, etc. My British neighbor was very loud and a call to the front desk helped with that. She was so loud I could hear her through my ear plugs! The next night my other neighbor just stood in the hall and screamed at her to shut up. This added a bit of amusement to our stay. Never did hear any other neighbors, just this one loud person who thankfully seemed to check out in a few days.

Overall I would say I'm very pleased with this hotel. Would recommend to others and would stay here again.

Room Tip: I asked for a room with a bathtub as I had heard some rooms only have showers.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family