“Disappointing accommodations”

Ranked #289 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Brussels
“Disappointing accommodations”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I agree with what many of the other reviewers wrote. The beds were OK and the room size was adequate (though barely).Very good location (walkable to the theatre district, Penn Station, Empire State Building), but otherwise far from comfortable. Reception staff were neither friendly nor helpful. Room air conditioning was old, and the reception area, elevators, and corridors had no A/C, which was awful in the summer. Our bathroom sink was blocked. The breakfast area was very small and basic, which meant often having to wait for a free table in the morning. The breakfast itself was simple, but adequate. Ice machines, located only on some of the floors, were broken during most of the duration of my stay (5 days) despite reporting it to the reception. The T. V. channel guide in the room was completely wrong. Very long waits for the elevators and often when they finally arrived, they were too full to enter. I frequently walked up and down the four flights of stairs (whew!) The cleaners' cart was parked in the hall just outside our room from afternoon to morning. There were free phone calls allowed to anywhere in the U.S. Also there was a small room in the basement with 3 computers and a printer that guests could use free of charge, and there was also a fitness center downstairs which would be a nice bonus if I had had time to use it.

My mother and I paid around $200 per night for this 2-bed room, so it was no bargain. I wrote to the manager and did receive an apology from him, with an offer to give an upgrade or a discount during our next visit, but I would not stay at this place again.

Room Tip: Our room had no view, just an old dirty building right outside the small window in our room. I have...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Janet W
applecorehotelsstaff, E-Commerce Associate at La Quinta Inn & Suites Manhattan, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Janet W,
Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you were not happy with your accommodations. Our rooms are about average size for rooms in Manhattan, but some are a bit larger or smaller. Our staff is trained to be as friendly and helpful as possible. Unfortunately, it would be very hard to air condition the elevators and hallways.
We try to offer the best hotel value in Manhattan by offering our guests clean, comfortable accommodations, free WiFi, free breakfast, and free domestic phone calls.
We hope that you will give us another chance if you’re in Manhattan again.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I had a good experience staying at this hotel for 8 nights, I stayed in room 1105, my room was always very clean, fresh towels and very welcoming to come back to after a hot, humid day
in NYC. The breakfast was fine, a nice start to the day, the basics, it's NYC and there is so much at your finger tips to try. The view from my room was the Empire State Building, enjoyed the roof top and had drinks with friends, I was thrilled to be back in NYC to celebrate my birthday. I will stay here again in the future. Thanks, a traveller from California.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Diane D
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I was wary about this place because of some of the reviews. I should not have been. Hey folks, you're not staying at the Waldorf. I stayed in room 401 and found it quite suitable. When I go to New York I'm either on business and not in my room, or seeing the city and not in my room. I need a clean, comfortable place to sleep in a safe neighborhood with a full size shower (I am tall) and no bugs of any kind. This place was exactly that, for a reasonable price. Very close to subway stops for just about every subway line. Is the neighborhood glamorous? Nope. Are the trappings fancy? Nope. Are you paying double or triple what you would pay somewhere else? Nope.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Francis R
New York
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Great location, fair price (seeing breakfast is included and parking for downtown NYC is very reasonable). However, both times, on different days, I had to deal with the front desk staff I have yet to see them smile and actually enjoy their job. They made me feel as if I dare ask a question I would disturb them. They either need thorough training on what good basic customer service means, especially in hotels and in NYC or ... be fired if they don't improve their attitude. Rooms are fine, but need to be refreshed (wallpaper was tired !).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Pembroke Pines, Florida, USA
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have no idea why the lady at the front desk is so confrontational and spits so much venom at us everytime we talk to her in person or on the phone. Towels are dirty too even when given fresh towels. Rooms are small. Location is convenient. Baggage holding is nice.

• Stayed August 2012
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

3 Thank Ryanslloyd
Reviewed August 19, 2012

we've stayed at this hotel a few times and always found it good. it's not a fancy NYC hotel but the rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable and it's only 2 blocks from Penn Station. It's also right around the corner from the Empire State Building 10 blocks from Times Square (an easy walk), 8 blocks from Bryant Park and 6 blocks to "Eataly" a super restaurant.
And it's fairly reasonable. And it's right in the middle of K-Town (Korea Town) which is pretty interesting and fun
We'll keep going back

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 7oceandrive
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My daughters and I had planned a trip to New York City to celebrate my birthday. We booked a room at La Quinta Inn Manhattan in advance. The day before leaving for New York, there was a medical emergency in the family which forced us to cancel our plans. As soon as we found out about the situation, I immediately contacted the hotel (21 hours in advance of reservation). We were told that the policy was 24 hours notice for cancellation and therefore we would be charged for the first night (over $260.00). I explained that I called as soon as I found out about the need to cancel our plans & requested that they waive the fee. It was not as if we simply decided to cancel & go to another hotel. The hotel management would not accommodate us.
As a result, when we reschedule our trip to New York City, we will not stay at the La Quinta, simply because of their attitude & their lack of empathy towards our situation.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Kathleen T
Dear Kathleen T,
Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you had to cancel your plans to come to New York City on such short notice and truly hope everything is okay with your family. Our policy of canceling a reservation with 24 hour notice is not uncommon to hotels.
We hope you will give us another chance for your next trip to New York City. Most guests enjoy our convenient location and free amenities, like WiFi, breakfast, and domestic phone calls.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels