“NO FREE WI-FI”

The Roosevelt Hotel
Ranked #392 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

The lobby of the Roosevelt Hotel sure reeks of old-time New York in an elegant way, but the rooms are a disappointment. The bathroom was small; the bathtub drain refused to work so we wound up standing in 4 inches of water while taking a shower; the wallpaper is peeling in the bathroom; the desk chair feels like the bottom is about to fall out of it; and on top of all that, you have to pay for Wi-Fi here, which is absurd given the room rate.

Would not return.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank El_Pelicano
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Thank you for your comments and review. Our most sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations. Rest assure all of your concerns will be immediately addressed. Again our apologies and thank you for your feedback.

Write a ReviewReviews (9,489)

Reviewed March 26, 2014

A group of 9 of us spent 3 nights at the Roosevelt in March of 2014. We had 5 rooms total. We arrived at the hotel early and they held our bags while we explored the surrounding area. When we returned we quickly got our bags and check in was a breeze. Both the desk clerk and the bellhop were very helpful and friendly.

The room itself was actually larger than I thought it would be for NYC. We were on the 3rd floor which concerned me as I am a light sleeper and the traffic noise can be an issue. We were an inside room (383) which was very quiet. There was no view but I would rather have quiet than view. We had a king bed that was comfortable and well situated in the room. The bathroom was nice sized and my wife and I had no problems sharing it.

The hotel bar was always festive and it was easy to get a quick drink while waiting for the rest of our friends to arrive.

For our purposes the location of the hotel was just about perfect. Right off Madison in between 45th and 46th streets. Grand Central is a 3 minute walk and we hopped on subway right there for trip down to lower Manhattan.

We walked many places and Times Square was about a 10 minute walk due west and Central park about 10 minutes due north. There are many nice stores within minutes of the hotel if you desire to shop.

The hotel is not as new and trendy as some but we would rather have location/value versus a trendy/higher priced experience.

I would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Inside rooms do not have traffic noise.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pompanogator

Thank you for your comments and review. We are very happy to hear that your NYC experience was great and that you will return. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed here for 1 week, the rooms are very small, just enough room for the 2 double beds, you nearly can't get your luggage between the wall and beds. very noisy outside, bathroom very small, and outdated, bath paint was chipped. Staff are friendly though, and is a good location.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank possum2890

Thank you for your comments and review. Yes, guest rooms in NYC tend to be on the cozy side especially when compared to other major cities. And yes, NYC is truly the city that never sleeps. For future reference, our front desk has complimentary sleep kits, which include an eye mask and ear plugs, for our sensitive sleepers. Thanks again for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Nice Hotel with clean and comfortable rooms and big beds, which grate arrangement is very comfortable, because you can walk from hotel to Time square, to Central Park and other sights of the town. But breakfasts are expensive and not very good.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Александр К

Thank you for your comments and review. Yes, our central location and friendly staff cant be beat. Our apologies that you did not find our breakfast to your liking? However, thanks for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

From reception to our room,from bar staff to room cleaners-this was an excellent stay.We were upgraded to a lovely room-considering that it was an Expedia deal and we arrived the night before St.Pats.-this was exceptional.The shower was faulty,reception left an apology and it was fixed immediately.We left a daily tip for the maid but she didn't take them so we saved them up and left them all on the last day!All staff were so friendly and helpfull-they are a credit to the Management, and a special thank you to Mr.Croker.We loved our experience in New York and staying at The Roosevelt made it happen.I do hope that the hotel management read this to see just how good we thought it was.We do not understand why guests on a city holiday do not realize that there is noise at night-cities operate 24 hours.
One tiny niggle,and we mention it only to back up another Tripadvisor review.On the day we left we left the bags with the porter.'Shall we tip you now or later?''we work on a rota-I may not be here' So we tipped.Return for cases.The same man, and I could describe him,swears blind we had not tipped him,and was holding on to bags for another,We did not want to kick up a fuss and spoil a great week,so we tipped again.Mr Porter-you were the only let down to the week, I hope that Management has a word with you,as you let down the standards set by your co-workers.BUT WE STILL HAD A WONDERFULL TIME!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank CheshireSammi

Thank you for your comments and review. We are pleased to hear that your overall stay was fantastic. Yes, such a shame regarding the bellman on your last day. Please accept our apologies. Rest assure your concerns have been noted and will be immediately addressed. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I stayed 1 night at the Roosevelt this past weekend (3/22/14) and I would not stay there again. I'll start with the positives:

The hotel lobby is quite beautiful. The rooms were larger than expected (for a NYC hotel) and they were clean. The bell hops were very friendly and did a great job. The door man was nice too.

The negatives:

The elevator. We got into the elevator from the lobby to head to our room on the 5th floor. The elevator jumped and stopped at the 3rd floor. The doors didn't open and then went back down to the lobby. We were momentarily stuck but then the doors opened. We hopped off, opting to take the stairs instead. There was no evidence of any one working on elevator and they weren't working the next day upon our departure. We heard several other people talk about a scary experience with the elevators so if you do stay there I'd definitely recommend the stairs!

The blow dryer. I had just started blow drying my hair when the blow dryer stopped working. I called down and someone came up to check it out. They took the dryer and said they'd be right back with a new one. No one ever returned. That's just so random to me. So bring your own hair dryer if you go!

Finally, I could have overlooked these things if I hadn't just gotten the rudest customer service. No one was very friendly while we were there (except the bell hops and doorman!), but whatever, they weren't rude, just not friendly. I just called to question a $100 charge pending on my credit card and spoke to someone in accounting. I said that I noticed this charge and wondered what it was for. I didn't have a negative tone or anything because I figured it was just an error or something and everything would be fine. The woman I spoke with (I didn't catch her name) stated "it will go away, I wish people would take the time to read the sign at the desk". I was taken by surprise by the tone of voice she used and told her there wasn't a sign when I checked in talking about this fee. She said she would check and hung up. I am not sure what she is so angry about but honestly, that was my final negative that makes me not want to stay at the Roosevelt again. There are tons of similarly priced hotels in Manhattan and I will use one of those in the future.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank MelissaBiggerstaff

Thank you for your comments and review. Our deepest apologies for any issues you experienced during your most recent stay. All of your concerns have been noted and will be immediately addressed. Again our apologies and thank you for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We just got back from a week stay at the Roosevelt Hotel and it wasn't a pleasant experience. The first room we were given was small and shabby and the tiny closet was in the bathroom. The phone did not work, and although the front desk was told several times-having to call them from my cell, they never fixed it. The toilet overfload without tissue at 6:30AM, so we awakened to a lake on the bathroom floor. No other room was offered to us that morning to get ready to go off and do our work. We were given another room that night as an upgrade. The room was large, but had only one chair, a big empty space with no couch, love seat or coffee table. Strange and not very useful. The heater did not work so we were either freezing or hot, with no in between. The downstairs toilet was filthy and extremely shabby, and smelled worse than any public bathroom. The one high point was a steak at one of the restaurants downstairs, other than that, and the location, which is very good there is nothing I can recommend about the Roosevelt hotel at this time.

Room Tip: Make sure to see the from before taking it.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank lesmad

Thank you for your comments and review. Our apologies that we did not meet your expectations on this visit. Regarding room size, all of our guest rooms are completely different. (ie: some will have a larger bedroom but tiny bath and closet and vise/versa) However, most guest rooms in NYC tend to be on the cozy side especially when compared to other major cities. We do apologize that another room wasn't available for you that morning of the over-flow. If we were sold out the night prior, there would NOT be anything available at 630am. Again our apologies and thank you for your feedback.