“Convenient”

Ranked #386 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Staten Island, NY
“Convenient”
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Went to the theatre and stayed overnight. Bar area not large enough for all guests after theatre. Rooms nice, however, bathrooms could use updating. Breakfast buffet good but overpriced. Overall was good.

Stayed January 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,318)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ashford, Alabama
Reviewed January 12, 2014

My husband and I were here for 5 nights right after Christmas. We found a good deal for the room, liked the location, but we were skeptical after reading some of the reviews. However, I am happy to report that we were more than satisfied with our choice. For our vacations, we are normally on the go and need a comfortable, clean room to come back to after a day of sightseeing. The Roosevelt Hotel met all of our needs. The only negative was the traffic noise (we were on the 4th floor) - but it was not bad enough to keep us up. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Globby10
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Perfect spot for city visiting...located centrally for theatre and Rock Center...bus routes...only thing is grab breakfast oit...little pricey..but drinks and accomomdations are good. Book superior rooms the others are tight.

Room Tip: Book superior for sizd
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I stayed for almost ten days at The Roosevelt in New York. This is belated review (I was there in 2008).

I do love the Roosevelt although its an older hotel and a bit tired at some spots. It's a classic with lots of history and has authentic old New York charm. The location is fantastic, almost around the corner from Grand Central station and only a few minutes walk to Times Square, Bryant Park, NY Library and shopping on Madison and Lexington Avenue, and Central Park.

I've stayed at the Roosevelt four times. My rooms have all been clean and all right for the price. Check-in and front desk, the bar, information desk have always been friendly and nice but some other services have been so and so. I have to admit the service and attitude goes down when they hire non-American staff. Room service has not been the best. I'd advice you not to order food to your room unless you're too tired to go downstairs. Reason being that I have never been served hot food with room service. It's always been cold on arrival. In addition, the server (from India) did not tell me that service charges is included in the price - which is not common in the U.S. It annoyed me that he conveniently left that small information out and collected additional tip for cold food, poor, unprofessional and slow service.

On my last visit the wall socket for the internet cable was damaged and I was unable to connect. They promised to repair it. But nothing could be done until Monday or Tuesday. I complained Friday evening. A nice guest service staff gave me a voucher for free lunch in the restaurant at the hotel. Fair enough, but I was there for business and desperately needed continuous use of the internet as I had work to complete, so that did not help me much at all. The bell staff can be excessively greedy for tip for the most minutest help. For example, you're carrying your own luggage all the way and they step in to just help lift it into the elevator and suddenly want a $5 tip! I mean, get real...

As much as I like Roosevelt for its classic features and location, there is one thing I seriously warn travelers of: on two separate business visits to the hotel I ended with "surprise" charges applied later onto my credit card. If a mistake is made once I can understand, but two separate visits?? A bit suspect. It has never happened to me on any of my travels around the world and I travel twice a month.

The last time this happened I was not happy. When you check-out all charges are applied to you right there and you get a detailed bill. There should be nothing more to add. But sure enough, one week later when I was not even staying at the hotel came added charges by The Roosevelt Hotel of several hundred dollars onto my credit card bill! I inquired to justify these charges with the accounting department. The bill was not accurate at all and claimed I had used phones for international calls, the wetbar, restaurant and bar tabs - it just went on and on. I never used the phone even once nor the wet bar. I always pay my tabs for bars and food then and there and don't add it to room charges so this was not accurate either. I demanded to see my signature on all these charges. They couldn't procure any signed bills so the hotel eventually gave me a refund - but I was astonished to find a few months later that the accounting had apparently blacklisted my name for future visits! So, if they scam you repeatedly, you get blacklisted. How about that?

So keep that in mind: be careful what credit card you use at The Roosevelt Hotel and pay your bills there in cash or you could end up like me, with surprise charges on your credit card several days after you returned home. Roosevelt lost a regular customer.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the lift.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank candidreview
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 10, 2014

my husband and i have been travelling around America on our honeymoon and were having the time of our lives but all of that changed when we arrived here. the front desk staff are so rude and unwelcoming. they barely acknowledged us and failed to tell us about the ameneties or how the wifi worked. furthermore she was talking to her work collegue who was also serving a customer in another language. then we went to the bar and the bar staff kept making eye contact with us but chose to ignore us and not serve us. i spoke to a manager who was unapolagetic and lacked empathy and compassion and ended the conversation with "what do you want from me?" if we hadnt already paid and it wasnt for the location i would be leaving. would never return or recommend.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank lucykate85

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Punta del Este, Uruguay
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed here for 8 or 9 nights. Perfect location, the staff is really nice, we got a great price on the web for it, they have free wifi for your iphone, its a bit crowded but its New York! its meant to be crowded. There's a starbucks right on the hotel lobby and a nice French coffee round the corner, but really...location is everything when you want to tour NYC. They also have a great service of giving you your correspondence! we had purchased some staff on line before arriving there and the guys were super nice (much nicer than the ones at the reception desk that sometimes can be a bit overwhelmed by the large volume of work).
I'd stay here (provided a godd rate of course) in a heartbit!

Room Tip: We got a room in the second or third floor if I remember correctly which was great as the upper floo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Thank you for your comments and review. Yes, our central location can not be beat. We are perfectly located for sight-seeing, shopping, and the theatre. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next stay.
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Amazing location and for the price it was perfect. We were able to walk everywhere and it was close to the subway. Our experience of the hotel was marred right from the start though as the lady who checked us in was extremely rude. We wished we had taken note of her name so we could have complained to the manager, she barely spoke to us and was unwelcoming to say the least. I went to take a nap during the day and when I pulled the sheet down, noticed what appeared to be a bloodstain, we called reception twice before they came to change the sheets. On the upside we made a phone call which cost 1.00 and they didnt charge us for it. The bar was expensive but with so many great places around the hotel there is little need to go there. There are no guest laundry facilities so we had to put our washing in a suitcase and go and to find a laundromat. The best thing is the location that rest needs improvement.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travellingbears2013
Thank you for your comments and review. Yes, our central location is one of our guest's favorite amenities. We are happy to hear that your overall stay was good. Our apologies for any issues you encountered regarding unfriendly staff. Your concerns will be immediately addressed. Again thank you for your valuable feedback.