“Cockroaches and Bed Bugs....”

The Roosevelt Hotel
Ranked #386 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Cockroaches and Bed Bugs....”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed in room 1583 on June 22nd, 2013, for one night and I DO NOT recommend this hotel!!!

I have to say that the lobby entrance and the room itself initially looked nice, but when I went into the bathroom there were cockroaches (both in the evening and in the morning...)
Immediately after I checked out, I started to get terrible itchy legs and now have about 20 bed bug bites that are very itchy and infected.
Also, there is an EXTREMELY loud generator at about the 5th or 6th level that I could hear from the 15th floor --- I didn't sleep all night.

I am not a "picky" person, but this is really ridiculous for a 4 star hotel. Be careful -- this appears to be a clean place, but it obviously is not -- you do NOT want itchy legs like I have today.

Trust me, don't do it!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ivanova7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,305)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed at many city centre hotels around the world and this was pretty much on par.

Pro's:
Great location
Safe in room
Room was clean

Con's
Ridiculous wifi rate. $14 a day per device!!!!! Go there with 2/3 kids for a week and you are looking at a serious bill. Come on this is the 21st century. That's just plain profiteering!!!
Very old and noisy AC unit in rooms. Take earplugs!!!
$67 for a breakfast for 1 person!!! use the cafe over the street.
No tea/coffee making facility in room
Starting to look tired around the edges
While not rude the staff weren't exactly friendly. Sorry guys I know the general public are a pain in the [--] but hey we do pay your wages.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bill S

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Miller Place, New York
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Upon check in, I was quickly dispatched to my handicap room. Eager to get dressed and out to our dinner restaurant my wife and I decided not to try to have our room changed so we said nothing and decided to 'just suck it up.' After a great night out we arrived back at out handicap room and found that the TV was not working. It was late and the last thing we wanted was a repair man to come up to the room so we decided to 'just suck it up.' I told my wife that I would metion it to the front desk clerk at check out. 'This is The Roosevelt,' I said surely they will make good for it I thought to myself.
Fast Forward to check out...I was waiting for the standard line of 'How was your stay Mr. Ryan?' It never came so I awkwardly brought up my concerns. Un-interested is the best way to describe the response. She just said, 'OK I'll let them know.'
The funny thing is that I booked the room through Hotels.com and paid $239.00. I checked the Roosevelt website and they had the room for $239.00 also so it wasn't like I paid a lot less. If I did then I would expect to get a less-desirable room. Not the case.
I left The Roosevelt very disappointed to say the least. If you find yourself checking into The Roosevelt and they offer you room 1202 run away!

Room Tip: Don't stay in Room 1202!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank robertryan08
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your comments and review. Our apologies for any issues you experienced with your room. The Roosevelt is very busy and we must utilize all of our guests rooms when sold out. This is true of our handicap rooms as well. At times these type of rooms are all that is available upon check-in and has no bearing as to how a guest booked their reservation. We do wish you had taken a few minutes the night of your arrival to inform us about your concerns. It may have been possible to relocate you to a different room. Thanks Again for your valuable feedback.
Virginia Beach
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is a classic old building, nicely renovated. The room was smallish with a big comfortable bed. However, the closet was tiny, there was no safe in the room. No way to make coffee and no lobby coffee service, except for a bar with NYC prices for Starbucks. It's in a great location, right next to Grand Central and a few blocks from Times Square and the Theater District. But there are better values in the neighborhood. The air conditioner was very noisy and the cover was broken. We had a leaky faucet in the bathroom that needed repair.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments and review. Our apologies for any issues you experienced during your most recent stay. All of your concerns will be immediately addressed. However, we are happy to hear that you seemed to enjoy your overall stay. Thanks again for your valuable feedback.
Monument, Colorado
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I'm not sure what people are complaining about in some of the reviews.

The hotel is old and historical and the amazing lobby has been kept to look like the original lobby.

The rooms are nice and look exactly like the pictures. The rooms are spatious enough and the closets are a good size if you happen to have a lot of luggage. The hairdryers supplied seem to be brand new as the coords would hardly unravel from their spring like form.

There are a bunch of elevators and we never waited more than a mintue or so for one.

Also the location is great for many of the big attractions!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sacramento
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is our 2nd stay at the Roosevelt, and once again, I was pleased with the service and the room. For NY, I consider these rooms very "generous" in size, compared to some of the matchbox rooms I have stayed in for the same cost.
This hotel is walking distance to lots of main "attractions" and just a block from Grand Central Station. I will come back and recommend this hotel to my friends and family

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments and review. We are so happy to hear that your NYC experience was made even more memorable by our friendly staff and central location. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.
Coronado, California, United States
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Roosevelt is well located for many things you want to do in NYC. Near a FedEx Kinko's, Starbucks, J. Crew, subway, Penn Station, etc. I was there just before Memorial Day, and it was pouring rain most of the time. They even loan you an umbrella, which came in handy. Ate dinner the first night at their lobby bar, and the chicken/pasta dish was very tasty and filling. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments and review. We are happy to hear that your stay was great and that you will return. Thanks again for your great comments.