“Great Hotel, Great Staff!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Roosevelt Hotel

The Roosevelt Hotel
Ranked #371 of 467 Hotels in New York City
St. John's, Canada
“Great Hotel, Great Staff!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband and I made our first trip to the Big Apple in May, 2013 and stayed at this wonderful hotel. I should point out from the start that the only reason that I gave this hotel a 3 in my rating is because the hotel room had little natural lighting as it was in a "bay" and was directly facing another hotel room. This meant that we had to look up to see the sky to get an idea of the weather, and we kept our curtains drawn for privacy. That being said, one does generally not spend time in NYC to stay in the hotel room when on vacation, so this was a minor inconvenience only.
Upon our arrival, we were met by friendly front desk staff who immediately upgraded our room to a king sized bed. While "The Grand Dame of Madison Avenue" is not in a category of one of the more modern NYC hotels, our room was roomy and impeccably clean. The bed was cozy and comfortable...a great welcome to a weary traveler! The house cleaning staff were quite cordial and very cognizant of security needs (when our room was being cleaned, my husband was not allowed to enter it without having the door closed and having to insert his own card...Good work, girl! We appreciate that!). The Concierge service was wonderful and the front desk staff was fantastic, especially the young lady who helped us in getting our boarding passes.... which brings to mind, my only real complaint, which is probably true for many hotels, from my limited experience. We paid to have internet service at $14.95 USD daily and still had to pay extra through the lobby computer to get our boarding passes printed (You swipe your credit card into the computer and pay by the minute, plus an added charge per paper sheet). I feel that if you are already paying substantial internet fees, the ability to print two sheets of paper for boarding passes should be included. In our case, it ended up costing us a bit of money because we were not familiar with Mac computers.
All in all, our stay at The Roosevelt was quite satisfying. It is very close to Broadway and Times Square, so if you want comfort and friendly service without the noise and bustle of Times Square, this my be the place for you!

Room Tip: If it is important that you have natural lighting, make sure that you make this clear when booking...
3 Thank MsRoadrunner55
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you for your comments and review. Our most sincere apologies for any issues you experienced with printing your boarding passes. Your concerns will be immediately addressed. However, we are happy to hear that your overall stay was great. Thanks again for your valuable comments and we look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,250)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Schenectady, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

We chose The Roosevelt Hotel for its convenient location on Madison and 45th St. and it proved ideal for walking in any direction for popular stores or sites such as Grand Central Terminal.There is easy and close access to bus or subways.Accessing taxies, even with bellhop assistance, is problamatic but no more than any other Manhatten locale.

The rooms were small and showed their age, particularly the bathrooms,with no level storage for our necessities.Radiator heating added to the closeness.The bedroom was tight but allowed adequate drawer and closet storage.The bed,kingsize, was good and the room was clean.The maid service was prompt and thorough.Floor in room AC was adequate but noisy.

We had breakfast 2 mornings in their lobby restaurant. The buffet is very good w/fresh egg dishes to order and fresh fruit,meats,cereals and breads.The price was $28 per person. THe 1st morning we made the mistake of ordering from the menue and the same breakfast as we would have nextday was $45 each.(our mistake)

The front desk and the Concierge were very helpful w/recommendations for dinner.

The room averaged about $350/night and comparably the location can command $400-$500
per night.

In summary the rating was for location and services are adequate and rooms clean

Room Tip: There are many rooms (1000+),floors and corridors.If you are concerned about walking distances note...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments and detailed review. We are happy to hear that your overall stay was good. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.
Binghamton, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stay in NYC several days each month for my job. Last week the hotel our travel coordinator usually books with was full, so I ended up at the Roosevelt. Basically what you're paying for with the nightly rate is a somewhat good location (right beside Grand Central Station in Midtown) and the historic reputation.

Here is what you don't get:

Space - Even for NYC, the room I had was tiny, with barely enough room to navigate around the dresser, bed, and nightstands. I was by myself for one night, so it wasn't too terrible. Several nights and sharing with another person would have been impossible.

Convenience - The bathroom is miniscule. (I'm posting pictures) I kept hitting my elbows on the walls and shower, and stubbing my toes on the shower riser (no bathtub). There is no space to put toiletries other than a small shelf that will fit a toothbrush and mini toothpaste.

Comfort - Bath towels are thin and rough. The five-dollar towels I own from Walmart are more plush than the ones at the Roosevelt. No bathrobe was available.

A good night's sleep - The queen sized bed had only two regular pillows and two decorator pillows (not suitable for use while sleeping). The pillows were lumpy and sweat stained.

Internet - Slow wifi service costs $15 per day *per device*. My connection kept dropping out.

Entertainment - The room had a flat-screen TV, but I had to turn it off and on four times until I finally was able to see the picture, hear the audio, and change channels all at one time. I shouldn't have bothered, as the picture was fuzzy.

Safety - Of course, using the TV is likely dangerous. When packing up the next morning I saw that the TV was plugged into an extension cord (which is not a bad thing). The extension cord had only two-prong receptacles, so the TV cord's grounding pin had just been bent up out of the way. They couldn't spend an extra two dollars and buy a three-prong extension cord? (see photo)

Expedience - There are six elevators, but expect a ten-minute wait for one after pressing the call button.

Assistance - I had to carry my luggage up a long flight of stairs to get from the ground-level entryway to the reception desk. There might have been an elevator to get there, but I didn't see any signs directing toward one. No signs to point out where the reception desk even was. Several doormen were standing around, but none of them bothered to open the door for me or offer to handle my luggage.

I didn't have to deal with any hotel staff other than the front desk clerk, so I have no horror stories similar to others who have posted reviews. All in all, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the work travel coordinator doesn't book me here again. I certainly would not choose this hotel if paying for it myself.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for your comments and review. Our deepest apologies that the Roosevelt did no meet your expectations. All of your listed concerns have been noted and will be addressed immediately. Again our apologies and thank you for your feedback.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Coral Gables, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Roosevelt Hotel in NYC for two nights this month. Great location in mid-town. Easy access to Grand Central Terminal. The room, even tho' billed as a 'cozy queen' was certainly larger than many rooms in NYC and had a very comfy king-size bed. Nice surprise.
The bathroom was clean and updated. Staff were very accommodating and the Concierge was well-informed and very helpful. One of the best things is the period lobby and bar. Very comfortable and super-friendly.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments and review. We are happy to hear that our friendly staff and grand lobby help make your stay memorable. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your return.
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Our family stayed in two rooms May 19, 2013. Our four kids (ages 19, 14, 12, and 10) stayed in Room 353 (two double beds, tight quarters, small bathroom, $179). We had requested an adjoining room for my husband & me, but after first telling us they would have to place us on a separate floor, they gave us a handicap room (Room 302, 1 queen bed, spacious enough for a wheelchair to maneuver, large bathroom & shower, $209) on the same floor. Unfortunately, we were right across the hall from the elevators - the incessant chiming and elevator doors opening would probably bother most people (we were just so tired we slept through it). The rooms were decently clean (and no bed bugs). The bathrooms were old and need refurbishing. Our expectations, especially after reading other TripAdvisor reviews, were for cramped rooms. The rooms were smaller than most hotels, but this is NYC after all. We didn't come here to hang out in our rooms! We really enjoyed the beautiful lobby area. The vintage decor and gorgeous chandeliers make it a very pleasant location in which to lounge. The service staff were pleasant and polite. The doormen were helpful with directions. After we checked out we stored our 10 bags with the Porter for the day so we could do some sightseeing. We stupidly had no locks on our luggage (won't make that mistake again) but everything was accounted for - found out later my kids had stored a Mac book, Kindle Fire, passports, etc. (good thing I didn't know until afterwards) but everything was returned intact. We valet parked our car, which was $55 per day, but we didn't feel that was unreasonable for NYC.
We were able to walk to everywhere we wanted to go on this brief trip. We ate dinner at a really cool pizza/ Italian restaurant called John's, near Sardi's restaurant. John's is in a restored church, and the large building is gorgeous - I can imagine that when the sun shines through the stained glass windows, it is even better. The pizza was fabulous, and we all recommend the blueberry lemon cheesecake.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your detailed review. We are happy to hear that our central location, friendly staff, and grand architecture help to make your NYC experience memorable. You are correct however, rooms in NYC tend to be on the cozy side especially compared to other major cities. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed for one night, a last-minute booking after a medical crisis. The hotel is well situated just off Madison in mid-town, just a couple of blocks from Grand Central.It is huge and historical (about 1924), well-refurbished with an amazing period lobby (you have to climb stairs to get to it, though there are elevators at the side). A comfortable room on the 12th floor, plenty of elevators to get there, so no long waits. The room (2 doubles) was surprisingly spacious by New York standards, not too noisy (though there was builing work nearby), the beds excellent, reasonable storage space. The bathroom was small in comparison, but adequate. Good supply of towels. Safe in wardrobe.
This hotel is much used for conferences and meetings of all kinds, consequently the lobby is always very busy, with queues to check in and out. However service was friendly and helpful. There is a large bar serving drinks and light meals in the lobby, useful if not quick nor particularly cheap. We paid well over $300 for our room, so it's no bargain, but not extortionate either. A good place to consider for a short stay in mid-town.

3 Thank 234Edward
Thank you for your comments and review. You are correct, the Roosevelt's central location ensures a busy lobby. However, we are happy to hear that your overall stay was great. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Roosevelt for a long weekend this March. It was our first famly trip to Manhattan and we had a wonderful time. The hotel was walking distance to all the things we wanted to do midtown (museums, Times square, Broadway etc). Our room was clean and comfortable. It wasn't huge, but we didn't come to NYC to sit in the hotel room, so our 'cozy double' was more than comfortable for my family of three. It felt like a wonderful old time urban hotel rather than a cookie cutter room like many chains provide. The lobby was particularly wonderful. Our only complaint was that in the morning, when many guest were leaving, it was difficult to get an elevator. On our floor, car after car would arrive completely full by the time they reached our floor. We solved the problem by using the stairs, but sime older guests might find this an inconveniece.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Alex J
Thank you for your comments and review. Our apologies for any issues you had with our elevators. However, we are happy to hear that your overall stay was great. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.