“Absolutely acceptable”

The Roosevelt Hotel
Ranked #394 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We found the Roosevelt by searching for 4 star hotels in NYC on Priceline. You take a chance, purchasing a no refund hotel (unnamed) in a certain area. Price was good for New York and we were pleasantly surprised.

The outside of the Roosevelt is unassuming, easily overlooked. Check-in was easy, no hassle with the "we don't have your reservation, how did you book it" stuff. Clerk said she gave us a free upgrade.

Ambiance in the lobby was old New York, well preserved. You could see it being used as a back-drop for a 1930's movie. Our room on the fourth floor near the elevator was small but adequate and clean. Same for bathroom, 1980's bathtub, etc but just fine. This is a room for tourists who are out all day and into the night. Slept well. No street noise.They have room service but no coffee-maker in room.

Four restaurants here. I went downstairs in the a.m.to what was probably a bar at night for coffee (Starbucks). They had muffins, croissants, yogurt/fruit cups there and comfortable chairs to read the newspaper (for sale across the lobby).

Lobby filled with tour groups - teenagers, oldies, etc.

Called the front desk and checked out by phone. Easy to get cab on street (Madison Ave). Doorman whistled one in immediately.

Convenient, no hassle place. We'd stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you for your great review. We are happy to hear that your overall stay was great and that you would return. Thanks again for your great feedback and we look forward to your next stay.

Write a ReviewReviews (9,576)

Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband was invited to New York City on for a conference, and the organizers billeted him in this hotel. So it wasn't our choice of a hotel, but we are glad they put us here (and that they allowed me to tag along). We normally wouldn't be able to afford to stay in a hotel in the middle of Manhattan so we're just very very thankful to have gotten to do that.

First off, it's a great location. Just a block away from Grand Central Terminal and walking distance from all the best attractions, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, Central Park, etc. It was very easy to get around from this hotel. We loved the room, it was big, as was the bed. Flat screen TV with cable. A nice big desk my husband could work on. We had good sized bathroom with a bathtub and all the amenities. Everything was clean and well maintained, and we got fresh towels every evening when we got back each night. It had a very "old New York" feel to it which was very charming and elegant.

Just a few of caveats. The lobby is one floor up from street level. So if you arrive/depart too early in the morning or late at night, you will have to haul your luggage up/down stairs from the check-in/out counter to the doors. And there were no doormen/bellboys ready to bring your bags up or down. You can probably call for one, but my husband said not to because if they're not offering, that means you'll have to tip them well and we're not sure how well to tip. Good thing we didn't have a lot of luggage. The elevators are slow but there are several. We were on a lower floor so we didn't have to wait too long for them. Breakfast wasn't included in the room charge. This could go both ways, as you can save by getting breakfast outside the hotel (great selection of food stalls at the Grand Central food court). Or if you really want breakfast buffet (not bad, they had a pancake/omelette station and the staff were nice and friendly) but you'd have to pay an extra $30 (with tip) which, I think is a bit steep for me as I don't really eat that much at breakfast.

But the thing I really wished I had at the Roosevelt was free internet in the rooms. Or even in the lobby. As it is, you have to pay a fee for internet, which I am unwilling to do as you just walk a few meters away to find free wifi at many public establishments. Not to mention even our hostel in Boston had free wifi in the rooms. I don't see why they can't provide this service to their guests. They have a business center in the lobby which you can use to log on to the internet, but again, you have to pay a fee, and it's outside for all passersby to see what you're doing online. It would have been nice to connect to the internet for free during our stay.

But other than these, we had a good stay. I just feel very lucky to have been able to stay in a hotel in the middle of Manhattan and the Roosevelt provided us a place to put up our feet after long days of touring and working.

Room Tip: It think rooms on the lower floors don't need to wait as long for the elevators to arrive.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments and review. We are very happy to hear that your overall stay was memorable due to our central location and friendly staff. Regarding wifi fees, we frequently price shop other mid-town hotel's fees to ensure we remain competitive. Thanks again for your great feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

stayed there april. 26 and 27. decent room. right outside elevator. would have preferred higher floor but didnt think to ask. would have been nice if they asked me. bathroom a bit dated. reasonably clean. check in and out very efficient. held bags at check out day no problem. came from grand central very nice location

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for your great comments and review. We are happy to hear that your overall stay was great. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel several times in the last few years. Yes, it's dated, but I always had a decent stay....but recently I was sadly disappointed. I noticed a major negative change since last year. The staff were not as friendly or as upbeat; the housekeeping was lacking; and my room was not in the best condition. In fact, upon checking in, I noticed there were stains on the sheets, and I immediately called to have them changed. The front desk person seemed to be annoyed that I was complaining, and no one ever came up. The next morning, I asked again and nothing happened. In fact, when housekeeping arrived, the maid just re-made my bed, (which is really hard for me to believe....) Finally, someone arrived at my door at 9 p.m. the second night to change the sheets. What a joke. Also, the service at the lobby bar was very poor and slow. Perhaps there are some management changes that are not going well, but the staff does not seem very happy to be working here. Look elsewhere for a hotel. There are so many amazing new hotels in NYC -- some very close by and with lower rates, too.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you for your comments and review. Please accept our apologies for your less than perfect stay especially since you have stayed with the Roosevelt before and had great experiences. All of your concerns will be immediately addressed. Again our apologies and thank you for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed here on a recent business trip because they were offering a good rate and I was on a budget for the trip. I wouldn't stay here again, especially because there were nicer hotels in the area. I had an awful time actually getting into my room--it was down several corridors and was a long walk from the elevator and my key failed to work not once, but twice. I went down to the front desk three times to ask for a replacement, and they finally reissued a new key and sent a manager up with me the third time. At the time, I was sick, coughing up a storm, and dragging all my bags down the long corridor again. You'd think that a manager might offer to help me with my bags? Nope, not a single offer to help.

Anyway, we finally reached my room, and I tried the key once, and the manager very rudely tells me I'm doing it "wrong." Now trust me, before I went down to the front desk the earlier times, I definitely tried the key in every direction, at least a few times and it did not work. So I didn't really appreciate his condescending attitude that I did not know how to use a simple key card.

On top of the less than hospitable welcome, the room was small, and the bathroom was small and dingy. I don't mind a cozy space, given that it's Manhattan, but I've stayed in much better kept rooms than this. It was also very noisy, and incredibly hot in my room. I wound up turning the air conditioner all the way up to drown out the noise and try to control the heat. Bottom line...there are better, cleaner, more updated hotels in the neighborhood. Stay somewhere else or be prepared for a mediocre experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments and review. Our most sincere apologies for any issues you experienced especially regarding rude staff. All of your concerns will be immediately addressed. You are correct, guest rooms and bathrooms in NYC tend to be on the cozy side especially compared to other major cities. Again our apologies that the Roosevelt did not meet your expectations. Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed here during a brief 1 day trip. The location is great, close to Grand Central and Park Avenue. What could be improved was the registration, I arrived in the evening and there was a queue of people awaiting registration and only two people at the registration desk. It took over 20 minutes to register.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments and review. Our apologies for the long wait to check-in. Your concerns have been noted and will be addressed. We are happy to hear that your overall stay was good. Thanks again for your valuable comments and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Returned last weekend from a great Girls Weekend in the City. We shopped til we dropped and this hotel was close to it all. Grand Central is a very short walk with luggage if you are coming in on a train and we were also able to get around with the help of the Concierge directing us which subways to get on to get to where we were going. The staff was very helpful and respectful. Upon checkout and while on the train out of the city my daughter discovered she left her headphones in the safe in the room. I was instantly sick about this as they were a very expensive brand that all the kids want! I called the hotel and spoke to Lawrence (the security manager) and he asked for my information and what room we were in. Once he verified it he went up to the room and called me for the safe combination and they were still there. You always hear of the horror stories of people not getting what they left in a hotel room. Well The Roosevelt saved alot of tears and shipped them back to me asap! They also provided great storage of our bags after checkout so that we could continue our shopping spree until late in the day before catching the train on the way home.
Overall the hotel was impressive and had a great location. With the Boston issue that was happening we felt very safe in the hotel area as they had increased police presence right outside the hotel as well. The room sizes were average and I have stayed at another older hotel and the bathroom size was bigger in this hotel. The only real issue we had was a slow drain in the shower. We did get the room on Hotwire and I feel we did get a great deal for what we paid for it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Thank you for your comments and review. We are happy to hear that your girls weekend was great and that disaster was adverted with the return of your daughter's head phones. Thanks again for your great feedback and we look forward to your next visit.