“Big disappointment since my last stay - keep looking.”

The Roosevelt Hotel
Ranked #397 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel several times in the last few years. Yes, it's dated, but I always had a decent stay....but recently I was sadly disappointed. I noticed a major negative change since last year. The staff were not as friendly or as upbeat; the housekeeping was lacking; and my room was not in the best condition. In fact, upon checking in, I noticed there were stains on the sheets, and I immediately called to have them changed. The front desk person seemed to be annoyed that I was complaining, and no one ever came up. The next morning, I asked again and nothing happened. In fact, when housekeeping arrived, the maid just re-made my bed, (which is really hard for me to believe....) Finally, someone arrived at my door at 9 p.m. the second night to change the sheets. What a joke. Also, the service at the lobby bar was very poor and slow. Perhaps there are some management changes that are not going well, but the staff does not seem very happy to be working here. Look elsewhere for a hotel. There are so many amazing new hotels in NYC -- some very close by and with lower rates, too.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you for your comments and review. Please accept our apologies for your less than perfect stay especially since you have stayed with the Roosevelt before and had great experiences. All of your concerns will be immediately addressed. Again our apologies and thank you for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed here on a recent business trip because they were offering a good rate and I was on a budget for the trip. I wouldn't stay here again, especially because there were nicer hotels in the area. I had an awful time actually getting into my room--it was down several corridors and was a long walk from the elevator and my key failed to work not once, but twice. I went down to the front desk three times to ask for a replacement, and they finally reissued a new key and sent a manager up with me the third time. At the time, I was sick, coughing up a storm, and dragging all my bags down the long corridor again. You'd think that a manager might offer to help me with my bags? Nope, not a single offer to help.

Anyway, we finally reached my room, and I tried the key once, and the manager very rudely tells me I'm doing it "wrong." Now trust me, before I went down to the front desk the earlier times, I definitely tried the key in every direction, at least a few times and it did not work. So I didn't really appreciate his condescending attitude that I did not know how to use a simple key card.

On top of the less than hospitable welcome, the room was small, and the bathroom was small and dingy. I don't mind a cozy space, given that it's Manhattan, but I've stayed in much better kept rooms than this. It was also very noisy, and incredibly hot in my room. I wound up turning the air conditioner all the way up to drown out the noise and try to control the heat. Bottom line...there are better, cleaner, more updated hotels in the neighborhood. Stay somewhere else or be prepared for a mediocre experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments and review. Our most sincere apologies for any issues you experienced especially regarding rude staff. All of your concerns will be immediately addressed. You are correct, guest rooms and bathrooms in NYC tend to be on the cozy side especially compared to other major cities. Again our apologies that the Roosevelt did not meet your expectations. Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed here during a brief 1 day trip. The location is great, close to Grand Central and Park Avenue. What could be improved was the registration, I arrived in the evening and there was a queue of people awaiting registration and only two people at the registration desk. It took over 20 minutes to register.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments and review. Our apologies for the long wait to check-in. Your concerns have been noted and will be addressed. We are happy to hear that your overall stay was good. Thanks again for your valuable comments and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Returned last weekend from a great Girls Weekend in the City. We shopped til we dropped and this hotel was close to it all. Grand Central is a very short walk with luggage if you are coming in on a train and we were also able to get around with the help of the Concierge directing us which subways to get on to get to where we were going. The staff was very helpful and respectful. Upon checkout and while on the train out of the city my daughter discovered she left her headphones in the safe in the room. I was instantly sick about this as they were a very expensive brand that all the kids want! I called the hotel and spoke to Lawrence (the security manager) and he asked for my information and what room we were in. Once he verified it he went up to the room and called me for the safe combination and they were still there. You always hear of the horror stories of people not getting what they left in a hotel room. Well The Roosevelt saved alot of tears and shipped them back to me asap! They also provided great storage of our bags after checkout so that we could continue our shopping spree until late in the day before catching the train on the way home.
Overall the hotel was impressive and had a great location. With the Boston issue that was happening we felt very safe in the hotel area as they had increased police presence right outside the hotel as well. The room sizes were average and I have stayed at another older hotel and the bathroom size was bigger in this hotel. The only real issue we had was a slow drain in the shower. We did get the room on Hotwire and I feel we did get a great deal for what we paid for it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Thank you for your comments and review. We are happy to hear that your girls weekend was great and that disaster was adverted with the return of your daughter's head phones. Thanks again for your great feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel is really well located, near timesquare and grand central. Rooms are spacious and convenient, I believe is a good option staying at midtown. Several places to eat near the hotel and there is a Duane Read store across the street. I recommend getting maps at the front desk and avoid the concierge.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments and review. We ra ehappy to hear that our central location and friendly front desk staff made your stay memorable. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Great Location: The Roosevelt Hotel in midtown Manhattan easy to get to everything including Grand Central and Penn Station. The hotel shows its age a little but still has dignity. Very nice restaurant and cocktail bar in the lobby but tons and tons of eating options within a five minute walk. Staff was nice and check in was easy.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments and review. You are correct, the Roosevelt's "old world charm" is just one of our guest's favorite features. We are happy to hear that you also enjoyed our central location, friendly staff, and our busy lobby lounge. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel does exactly what a big city hotel should do: it's big, it's in the heart of mid-town Manhattan and everything in the hotel is set up to give you what you need when you need it. But at a price... it's not cheap and the extras (wifi, drinks in the bar) come at a price too. On the other hand, the rooms are functional and comfortable and the staff are always helpful and, especially if like me you enjoy hard-boiled New York humour, friendly. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Peter v
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you for your comments and review, we could not have said it better. Thanks again for your great feedback and we look forward to your next visit.