“Tired...”

Ranked #379 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Tired...”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Great location and cheap, but the good stuff stops there sadly. My experience at least was of surly staff and a very tired and shabby (tho clean) room. I didn't want to eat there or spend any more time than was necessary which given the spectacular address was fine as there were 1000 alternatives. However, I would avoid unless you get an unbelievable deal...

Room Tip: Choose another hotel...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for your comments and review. Our most sincere apologies that the Roosevelt did not meet your expectations. Your concerns will be addressed. Again our apologies and thanks for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,281)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Roxbury, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our 1st anniversary. I had stayed here at least three times before, but was very nervous based on the negative reviews. I did not see any bugs or experience dirty linens or any of the like. The front desk, the concierge, and the bell staff were all pleasant and helpful. Of course, the hotel decor is a little dated, but it takes money to make those changes. I was happy with my stay and will continue to use the Roosevelt Hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charles B
Thank you for your comments, review, and continued business. We are happy to hear that our friendly staff made your NYC visit memorable. Thanks again for your great feedback and we look forward to your next visit.
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Fear, trepidation, apprehension, cold-sweat were my conditions for nearly 3 months after reading the online reviews of the Roosevelt Hotel, after hotwire.com finally revealed its identity. At the time, I felt that after all "why else would hotwire conceal the identity of the hotel prior to payment?"

We stayed at the Roosevelt Hotel from Apr 13, 2013 to Apr 19, 2013, in Room No. 685. I cannot speak for the rest of the rooms, only my room and the common areas.

We landed in the hotel lobby on April 13. Opulent, polished, swanky and bustling, as others here have noted. Though beyond this, our experience with the hotel differs from several other reviewers here. I touch on the points raised by others here only by citing my own experience point-for-point.

To the front desk---- Check in was quick, friendly and helpful. Ms. Malika behind the desk endeavored to meet our requests. Each experience with the front desk was courteous and friendly.

We proceeded to the room. The elevators are neither slow nor did we wait 10 minutes for one. There was an ample number of elevators and all worked well.

Into the 6th floor hallway--- the hallway was clean and free of obstruction. The carpet, wall fixtures and furniture were clean and intact. No particular fragrance in the hallway, but certainly not damp and oppressive as others have claimed.

Into the room--- the key-card worked as one would expect. The room was small. But, it was clean and the furnishings were clean, presentable, and intact. The wallpaper also intact. The bed and linens were clean. The mattress was rather soft for my back, but clean and not lumpy. We had a working safe and an approx. 32 inch LED screen with full cable TV. All appliances and controls worked.

Air-Con worked well in both Heat and Cool modes. It does hum, but not like a jet engine as some of the reviews here claim.

Into the bathroom--- again clean and all fixtures intact. Shower was clean as was the water from the fixtures. Towels were clean and in ample supply. Branded toiletries were in ample supply. It was indeed small, but clean and presentable.

To the Bar--- Bartender Eddie was friendly and personable, as were others. The facility was comfortable. The drinks were potent and the prices competitive for the area. A good place to map out the evening.

To the Mad 46 outdoor bar---- just opened for the season. Trendy and popular. Good service, comfortable, and, again, potent drinks.

Housekeeping was daily, friendly, and thorough.

The windows were clean. I could not find anything living or crawling. No bites of any sort.

We did not eat at the hotel.

Check-out was as quick and friendly as was the check-in.

This was the weekend of the Boston Marathon incident. The hotel had noticeable security and police presence, as did the surrounding area.

In sum, we were pleased with the hotel and the outcome; felt it was good value; and would stay there again. It is not a new hotel. But appears well preserved and presented as a place reminiscent of its era.

In sum, we did not feel compelled to avoid being in the room because of the room's condition. Further, we did not get the impression that the hotel felt it could overlook comfort and service because of it offered a central location.

Again, I can only speak for our room. Further, I take into account that during check-in, my specific requests regarding the room were influenced by other reviews here. To what extent those requests shaped the quality of our stay, I can't account. But that being said, I note that my experiences with the common areas of the hotel were at least consistent with my experiences with my room. So, I would intend to give the benefit of the assumption.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor room as elevators can be crowded. Ask for a so-called renovated room. Ask for...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Christopher L
WOW! Thank you for your very detailed review and comments. We are so happy to hear that your stay was flawless and that you would recommend the Roosevelt. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night but the experience was really amazing.Everything is so close to the hotel.It is centrally located.Times Square,Central Park,Broadway,RFC,EB etc. is walking distance from the hotel.The hotel is an old hotel but well maintained.The lobby area is really grand and classy.The rooms are rather small yet cozy.I loved the architecture of the hotel.The staff was helpful and accommodating.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Amit_Mohanty
Thank you for your comments and review. We are happy to hear that you loved your stay. Yes, the architecture is amazing here at the Roosevelt and is just one of our guest's favorite hotel features as is our central location and friendly staff. Thanks again for your great feedback and we look forward to your next visit.
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed here with my 12 year old nephew while celebrating his birthday. We loved the location. We walked to all the tourist spots, plays, restaurants, shopping, etc. We loved being able to walk everywhere within a short amount of time. Felt very safe and never felt unsafe walking even back from theatre late at night. Rooms are small but comfortable and clean. Staff was not very helpful and at times rude but I would still recommend this hotel. It's a beautiful place with a great location.

• Stayed January 2013
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your comments and review. Our most sincere apologies for any issues you experienced regarding unfriendly staff. Rest assure your concerns will be immediately addressed. We are happy to hear that your stay with your nephew was a great birthday experience and we look forward to your next visit. Thanks again for your valuable feedback.
Windham, Maine
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This hotel was convenient with its proximity to Grand Central Station. I liked that it is close enough to Theaters to walk but away from the craziness of Times Square. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. The lobby area was beautiful while the room was functional and surprisingly large for NYC standards. We had a great time and I recommend this hotel,

Room Tip: When traveling into Grand Central, follow the signs toward Track 42... This will lead you to the pas...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MaineJoy2006
Thank you for your comments and review. We are happy to hear that our central location was perfect for you. Thanks again for your great feedback and we look forward to your next visit.
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is really nice and in one of the best locations for getting around. It's super close to GrandCentral and walking distance everywhere. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The receptionists at the front desk were very accommodating and the concierge, Micheal was helpful.

My only thumbs down would be cleaning, certain part of the room did not always get cleaned...like the ice bucket sat for two days. Also, everyday we would have to go ask for face clothes because we wouldn't have any..it was weird.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank MrKula
Thank you for your comments and review. We are so happy to hear that our friendly staff and central location. Thanks agian for your great feedback and we look forward to your next visit.