“Is this the dirtiest hotel in NYC?”

The Roosevelt Hotel
Ranked #392 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I had the misfortune of staying here while attending a work function. The room was very poorly kept with paint peeling from the ceiling, a heater that didn't go below 95 degrees and a bathroom that is quite possibly the most disgusting I have ever seen. It was all topped off by a front desk staff that couldn't possibly care less. The only way to maintain a reasonable temperature in the room was to prop the window open with my trash can. The tiles on the bathroom floor were cracked, there were wires hanging from the vanity and the tub looked as though it had never been cleaned. I felt like I needed a to take a bath in a giant tub or Purel sanitizer after just looking at this place.
3 positives; the location isn't bad, the lobby is very grand (though full of questionable characters) and the housekeeping staff seemed friendly. If only they cleaned the rooms...

Room Tip: Rooms not at the hotel are best.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Thank you for your comments and review. Our deepest apologies for any issues you experienced during your stay. All of your concerns have been noted and will be immediately addressed. Again our apologies and thanks for your feedback.

There are newer reviews for The Roosevelt Hotel

Reviewed March 23, 2013

The place is very clean and their customer service is good too. Its close to everything in walking distance. When we arrived the lady in the front desk upgraded our room since we were planning on staying there for a week.She also gave us a refrigerator at no charge. On a bad note it never made it to our room until i called the next day. The one they installed was not working. They fixed that problem right away. When we would call for things they responded quickly. The bar employees were very friendly. We did have a ghost encounter since that place is hounted. Overall I recommend this place.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for your comments and review. We are so happy to hear that our central location and friendly staff made your stay memorable. However, we must admit that you are our first ghostly encounter report. It seems that ghost or not, your overall stay was great. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed in a room with two double beds so enough room for two of us. Very clean and made up very well each day. Beds were very comfortable. Only two minor issues (window was VERY stiff to open and there were no drinks making facilities) but otherwise very good. The location, just round the corner from Grand Central, was excellent and within walking distance of Empire State, Rockefeller Centre, etc. and the subway.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments and review. We are so happy to hear that our central location and comfortable beds made your stay memorable. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I was a bit sceptical listening to all the rewies, but this was a great place to stay. We have a double suite and the view was awesome and the service was excellant. The loaction was very good and you can get anything in the loacl area.
If I was to stay again, I would be going back here.

Room Tip: Get the largest room that you can afford. Call ahead and ask fro one with a good view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Marshall L
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Thaank you for your comments and review. We are so happy to hear that your stay was made memorable by our central loaction, friendly staff, and clean and comfortable room. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

The series of unfortunate events at the Roosevelt on 3/20/2013
1. Spent half an hour on the phone making a simple reservation.
2. When I arrived, there was no reservation made on my name.
3. They managed to find me a room, but when I entered it not yet been cleaned and the bed linens spread all over the room.
4. When I went back to the front desk, they gave me a new room instead. A smaller and run down room that had no maintenance.
5. I even discovered the toilet was dirty.

No attention to details, too big to please.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments and review. Our most sincere apologies for all issues you experienced during your most recent stay. Rest assure all of your concerns have been noted and will be addressed. Again our apologies and thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I paid $112 for a Sunday on St. Patrick's Day on Priceline. I'd say that is a pretty good value. On to the room... upon walking in, it smelled like someone had sprayed a can of lysol as room freshener. I didn't find any pubic hairs, gum, food, mold anywhere in the room - it seemed fairly unlike some other reviews. After a few minutes in the room, I got use to the smell. I was only there for a night, so it wasn't a big deal. I did read a lot of reviews here, so maybe I was freaked out - but i did feel like something was biting my leg while asleep. I'm sure it was just my imagination. I woke up with no bites, no bed bugs from what I can tell.

The location: It's pretty good depending on what you are looking for. It's perfect walking distance to some 5th Ave. shopping and to Grand Central Station. I would recommend this place for a quick trip (2 night max!). Bell service seemed quick and professional with our bags, the front desk lady who worked with me wasn't the friendliest of people, but maybe that's just a NY thing. Then again, she did give someone a room key ahead of me at 2 pm and told me to come back as my room wasn't ready.

For the price, i was satisfied with the room. No thrills, good location is the bottom line. Rooftop bar was closed due to weather.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for your comments and review. We are happy to hear that your overall stay was great and that our central location help make your stay memorable. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Our first impressions of the hotel was fantastic very friendly staff at reception they could not do enough For us .Our bedroom was a decent size very clean,walk in wardrobe , desk,chair all acceptable . We were on the 18th floor it was very very quiet not a great view but that didn't matter. Even though it was St Patrick's weekend the hotel coped very well and we did not hear any rowdiness or noise it was a great atmosphere. The doorman were very full of knowledge and experience they were great at getting taxi,s, telling you what restaurants to go to they were great help.Would love to stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so happy to hear that your NYC stay was made memorable by our central location and friendly staff. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.