“We just used the room to sleep and shower, so it was an ok hotel.”

The Roosevelt Hotel
Ranked #386 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“We just used the room to sleep and shower, so it was an ok hotel.”
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Once arriving in our cab to the hotel the doorman did not help us with our luggage. Instead he asked us if we wanted some help after seeing us struggle with it. Me traveling for 3 years had never seen that I'm use to them just coming up to us and helping us with our luggages. He then proceeded to walk them over to check-in desk which was literally a 1 min walk and ASKED US WHERE HIS TIP WAS!!! Never had anyone do that either. So, another guy takes them to our room and him as well asks for a tip! At this point I'm out of cash so I apologize to him. Last time I checked a tip is optional not mandatory! So, that right there made us feel awkward and we avoided every employee that whole week we were there. The rooms are small but the bed was huge and comfortable! The Shower is also very small with no fan. The hotel lobby was our favorite it made it seem like we were staying at a high-end very expensive hotel. I would just recommend the hotel to train their employees more on customer service. I've never stayed at a hotel where they seemed like they hated their jobs or to never greet their customers! Time square is a few walking blocks away as well as the meat packing district is a short 10 min taxi ride. Maid in manhattan was also filmed at this hotel which we didn't know until our last day of our stay which we thought that was very cool. Overall our stay was OK!

• Stayed January 2013
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Thank you for your comments and review. Our most sincere apologies for any issues you experienced with our staff regarding tips. You are correct, tipping is not mandatory and should only happen after you receive friendly/helpful service. Rest assure your concerns will be immediately addressed. Again our apologies and thank you for your valuable feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,306)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed January 30, 2013

It's not elegant or remarkable, but it's low key and comfortable. The location is convenient if you're in town to shop and sightsee. The breakfast was delicious with lots of choices, and it's a good value with the room. However, the food in the bar is terrible. We tried several different dishes, and all of it was awful. The bathrooms are small and basic and the rooms are average. Although it's nothing special, I would recommend it for anyone who wants to stay in this part of the city but doesn't want to pay for luxury.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments and review. Our most sincere apologies for any issues you had regarding bar food. Your concerns will be immediately addressed. You are correct, our midtown location cant be beat especially for the price at this time of the year. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next trip.
Dedham, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 30, 2013

If you're looking to score a hotel room in NYC that meets the same standards of comfort, value, and convenience you expect in other cities, you're probably going to be disappointed. Remind yourself that you're in an expensive, tourist-dense, high demand location, and I think you'll find the Roosevelt Hotel a good deal and great starting point for your Big Apple adventure. Take advantage of web-based deals so that you don't spend more than $150 a night on your room, print tourist passes ahead of time and consult the concierge before heading out so you don't waste money on hotel internet services, and resign yourself to life with a small bathroom for a few days and you'll find this hotel to be everything you need: a great location, around the corner from Grand Central to make for easy subway travel, walking distance from Times Square/Theater District, Rockefeller, Central Park and 5th Ave, near plenty of eating options, including the dining concourse of Grand Central, reasonable lunch options at across the street at Cosi's or underground at Rockefeller, affordable late-night pubs, tourist-happy spots like Ruby Foo's, Hard Rock, and John's Pizzeria, and upscale pre-fixe theater options. While the rooms are small (it's NYC!), the lobby is huge and beautiful, a welcome sight after enduring the chaos outside. If you're a couple or family looking for an ideal homebase for sightseeing, you could hardly do better than this without breaking the bank. As for the comments about rude staff, let's just say you're trip will be a lot more enjoyable as a whole in NYC if you pack a thicker skin and keep a smile on your face.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and review. You said it perfectly. We do hope to see you again in the near future. Thanks again for your valuable feedback.
New England
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed at the Roosevelt on business and was...disappointed to say the least. I came in with no expectations, but midtown in Manhattan with a ritzy exterior and a really nice lobby, you kind of expect some awesomeness. Or at least old school glamour.
Nothing of the sort.
Check in was fine, lobby was beautiful like I said before. But there's a bank of elevators that somehow still manage to all be full or really slow.
And the room...if i didn't know I was in a 'nice' hotel, I would have thought I was staying at a slightly renovated Holiday Inn.
When i arrived (in January), and called down because I thought my radiator (yes. the heating system is from like 1980) was broken, they informed me that there's just no heat on until 6pm.
What?!?!

So I asked for an extra blanket - and the one they gave me looked and felt like one of the ones you get on an airplane. repackaged in the plastic wrapper as well.

The room is dated, the decor is from 1980, the bathrooms are small, the TV is small (and not HD - not that that really matters but I mean...it's 2013).

And from a business perspective - there's ONE plug near the desk available if you want a lamp to work by.
There's ONE plug near the bed if you want an alarm clock plugged in.

Oh and internet is $14.95 a night. per device.

Definitely avoiding this place next time. There are better hotels for the same price throughout the city. This place needs a facelift.

1 Thank blazin_blasian
Thank you for your comments and review. Our deepest apologies that the Roosevelt did not meet your expectations. Rest assure your concerns have been noted and will be addressed. Again our apologies and thanks for your valuable feedback.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

McLean, Virginia
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I make a point to write a review everywhere I visit or eat as to ensure this community can decide with the right info. This grand dame of Madison Avenue has a beautiful lobby and this is where it stops. While I understand that it is classified building it does not change some facts, the bathrooms are tiny just enough for one, you need to run the hot water from the shower and the sink for 15 minutes (according to the hotel guest service)in order to get the hot water work. How can they keep their 4 * is beyond me. The room were redone partially wallpaper and new carpet. The staff is fairly courteous at the front despite the 15 minutes wait at 1:00 pm on a Saturday?! They had two staffers at the front desk. The ceiling has cracks on it and the security eye is so old that you can't see who is at the door should the need rises. I have to run the A/C for health reason and no matter what I could not make the room cold even after running it all night.The concierge staff is very good especially Irene .I spent three nights in this establishment which could well be good enough if you are a tourist and certainly not the case when you are a business traveller as I am.

Room Tip: Avoid room 389, 1501, 1502 as these are across the elevator
1 Thank Marc O
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your comments and review. Our deepest apologies that the Roosevelt did not meet your expectations. You are correct, guest rooms in NYC do tend to be on the cozy side especially compared to other major cities. However, we see that you were able to check in early and a smaller room may have been all that was ready at that time? Rest assure your concerns regarding the ac and water will be addressed immediately. Thanks again for your valuable feedback.
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Roosevelt Hotel is mooching on its history and great location. The lobby is beautiful and impressive and that’s where your good impression ends. Once you meet the rude receptionist that tells you that there is no place in the whole hotel where you can get online for free and who seems bothered by any other questions you have, you know you are not welcome there.
The bell boys and the cleaning staff were very friendly, but receptionists, concierge and person that answered the phone when the water turned completely brown in the bathroom, were very rude and unfriendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments and review. Our most sincere apologies for any issues you experienced with rude staff members. Rudess is never acceptable and rest assure your concerns will be immediately addressed. Again our apologies and thank you for your valuable feedback.
Boulder, Colorado, United States
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I had to stay in the city at the last minute when my flight was late and the trip to my buddy's place in NJ seemed pointless given my early state back in NY the following morning.

Found a good price online and, to be quite honest, was braced for yet another crappy hotel experience. I think I may have Post Crappy Hotel Experience Stress Disorder or something, because after years of business travel, I just expect the worst.

Turned out I had a nice room, comfy bed, and except for lacking free wifi (anywhere, even in the lobby!), was overall really pleased with the stay.

The people who checked me in were in a good mood, I ran into Jamie, one of the managers the following afternoon, and all the staff were generally helpful.

I would totes stay here again, although I'm curious to try some of the better-reviewed hotels when I have client travel to NY again.

3 Thank ajjpape
Thank you for your comments and review. We are so happy to hear of your overall great experience and hope we have eased your "post crappyhotel stress disorder". (very funny) Thanks again for your great review and we look forward to your next visit.