“Great location, great hotel”

The Roosevelt Hotel
Ranked #397 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Don't get me wrong, this hotel is not the Ritz. The lobby is nice, but the rooms are showing some ware. We did have a small problem with the toilet, but they sent someone right up. I have heard they are remodeling, and would like to stay again. The lobby bar is a nice place to grab a drink, and the lobby has been redone and looks good. The front desk staff was nice (especially if you tip) and the experience a good one. It is also a great hotel close to Grand Central, so you can get right on the subway. Twice now I have stayed in the double double, but I believe it was the deluxe, because the room was quite a nice size. I did see in the "cozy" one queen, and there is barely room for the bed, so upgrading is worth it.

Room Tip: It's always fun to be up high, but try to get a deluxe, there is a LOT more room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Thank you for your comments and continued business. Its great to hear from repeat guests and we see that you do love our loctaion and friendly staff. We look forward to your next visit and thank you for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband and I haven't stayed at the Roosevelt in 10 years or so -until this past weekend. The good news is, it is still as wonderful as we remember! The staff is very friendly, the rooms clean and the bed very comfortable. The rooms (although small) are not too cramped as in some other NYC hotels. We love the location; close to everything but not too close to the Times Square tourist madness.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CeeBee72

Thank you for your review and comments. We are happy to have you retrun and its wonderful to hear that our friendly staff, central location, and clean rooms help make this visit memorable. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

IT fascinates me that American reviewers are by far the most critical on Trip Advisor, yet I am yet to stay in a really good hotel in the US.

The Bad - the room was small, the A/c unit on the floor and so loud it was pretty much unusable. The bathroom was old, and decor generally desperately in need of a makeover. The good - staff were friendly and helpful and the location was perfect. At the end of the day, that surely is pretty much all that matter on a brief stay in Manhatten - I slept ok and was close to everything. The walk to Central Park to about 20 minutes, the walk to Grand Central not even 2. I would go back for the location and the location alone.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for your comments and review. Yes, guest rooms in NYC tend to be on the cozy side especially compared to other major cities. We are very happy to hear that our central location and friendly staff help make your stay memorable. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had 4 girls on this trip to NYC to shop for wedding dresses in November, 2012. We stayed Thursday-Sunday. The service at the hotel was great, especially the bellmen, who were very helpful when it came to storing our luggage before and after checkout; but they also gave excellent recommendations for restaurants & even hooked us up with some deals! They were awesome! The hotel bar in the lobby area is great. The food was wonderful and the service was exceptional there, too. One of the best chicken quesedillas I've ever had! Our only complaint is that the TV connection in the room was bad and kept going in and out and making awful noises; but we were only watching at night & while getting ready, so it was not that big of a deal. Also, all of our room keys stopped working one evening and caused us to have to move our dinner reservation to later. While security was pretty efficient in getting up there and letting us in the room, they never sent us new keys. Instead, we had to stop by the front desk to get them when we got back from dinner. Overall it was a great experience. Great deal for the price. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SC_traveler5678

Thank you for your comments and review. WOW! Sounds as if your "GIRLS TRIP" was a major success. We are so happy that our central location and great staff help make your stay memorable. You are correct, our lobby lounge (Madison Club) has fantastic service, food, cocktails, and a very festive enviroment. Our apologies for any issues with your room keys. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

My just completed stay at the Roosevelt was in a King Deluxe room which lacked bedside table and lamp on one side so you could not read or have a place to put items (e.g., water, clock, etc.). Other than a desk chair there was no where else to sit, and there was no chest in which to place clothing after unpacking. Do not be mislead by the room photos on the website. Overall the hotel is in need of significant renovation, and I could not recommend staying there.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Polarine

Thank you for your comments and review. Our apologies if the size of your room caught you off-guard. Guest rooms in NYC tend to be on the cozy side especially compared to other major cities. However, I see by your ratings that your did enjoy our central location, staff, and overall cleanliness. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I am writing my second post in two nights and I will also place a post on trip advisor. I am on my third room and I have only spent 1 night. The condition of the rooms from a maintenance and housekeeping standpoint has been inexcusable. I spoke with Elsa this am who was the hotel manager and I explained the challenges i have had had and showed her the photos from the previous rooms 940 and 1104 and she moved me again which was fine. Upon my return to the hotel today I found hair on the bed next to my pillow, hair on the bathroom floor and wall, and mold around the soap dish....I just do not understand how these things get missed...I work in the hotel industry and I can say there is a lack of attention from a preventative maintenance standpoint and a lack of standardized cleaning procedures from housekeeping. Elsa comped last night when I reported the issues in the new room but the issues reported should never had to result in a comp. I unfortunately will look for another hotel the next visit to NYC....

Room Tip: Not sure how to help here....3 rooms in 1 day....not good
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank phxaztraveler

Thank you for your comments. Our most sincere apologies for the mention issues you experienced during your stay. We are happy to hear that our manager did try to resolve the issues mention. Unfortunately, it does not sound as if your were statisfied. Rest assure we do take your concerns seriously and they have been addressed. Again, our deepest apologies and thank you for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We booked into the Roosevelt for the 25th-29th October 2012. However the Hurricane arrived and we had to extend our say until the 3rd November as there were no flights.
The hotel were wonderful, they sympathised with our predicament and offered us a very attractive rate. They could have taken advantage and they did'nt. The staff were very helpful particularly Annie in the restaurant who must have been very stressed at times particularly when she tried to accommodate guests for meals late on Sunday night when the hurricane struck. Tomaz |(the waiter) also deserves a special mention.for all his help. We had a wonderful stay and hope to come back another time. I have already recommended the hotel to colleagues where I work. Thank you to The Roosevelt Hotel and staff.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank bakdeb
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Thank you for your comments and review. Yes it was so amazing to see guests and staff coming together and making the best of a very difficult situation known as Hurrican Sandy. Thank you for recognizing our amazing staff's hard work and compassion. Thanks again for your wonderful feedback and we look forward to your next visit.