“Classic, beautiful old hotel”

The Roosevelt Hotel
Ranked #391 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Great 4 night stay over Memorial Day weekend. Classy old hotel in the heart of midtown. Short walk to Grand Central and Times Square. Room was in great shape. We had a fold out couch for my teenage son and a King bed for us. The fold out mattress was too thin for anyone but a child, but it worked. The room was nice and had separate rooms for the sink and the shower, so we could all get ready at once. Shower pressure was a little weak but expected at an older hotel. Nice pool table in the downstairs lounge and great Manhattan. The roof top bar was kind of a disappointment since that was one main reason we picked this hotel. It was either closed or closing by the time we'd get up there for a nightcap. (The waitress actually got a little surly with us when we showed up 45 min before closing...) Other than that, I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Our first room had two doubles but they were great about switching us to a better room with a King a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dave206
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2012

Thank your for your review and comments. Yes, our classic beauty and central location in mid-town are just two of many reasons guests keep coming back to the Roosevelt. Our apologies for any inconveniences you experienced with the MAD46 staff. Rest assure this will be immediately addressed. Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit.

There are newer reviews for The Roosevelt Hotel

Reviewed June 1, 2012

I booked a DELUXE KING....it was a terrible room, very small for their "now we're talking" deluxe. Come on..and what are they talking about the Renovated? The bathroom was horrible...terrible lighting, scratchy towels, didn't look DELUXE TO ME! Old bathroom from the sixties, and NOTHING Is the room was luxury for the price. I beat hotel that should be ashamed in charging what they do...a farce....the photos seem to reveal that the deluxe were way better than supreme....I cannot imagine...MEDIoCRE...d grade hotel...Will never return...too many options. DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Room Tip: Don't waste your money getting DELUXE not even close to...if you need to stay there get the chea...
2  Thank foodbuzzer

Thank you for your review and valuable feedback. Our most sincerest apologies that your room did not meet your expectations. Every room is different from the next. While some may have a slightly larger bedroom, the baths and closets are smaller and vise-versa. Renovation to the bedrooms are finished the next/future phase will be the guest baths. Again our apologies and thank you for expressing your concerns.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

this is a really good hotel. I don't know why other reviewers complain about it being old. From what I saw all rooms have recently been refurbished and you can tell. The bed is specially comfy. Ok, it's a little small for the price, especially the bathroom, but then again this is NY and the location is wonderful.

1  Thank Ranatan
Reviewed May 30, 2012

This hotel is great if you want to walk to major attractions like Times Square and Grand Central Station, but if you are going for luxury or a nice vacation I would not recommend it. We arrived an hour early and we were not allowed to check in until 20 minutes after check in time because the rooms were not cleaned yet. Parking is not complimentary with your stay and the parking they do offer costs about $50 per 24 hour period, so we had to park our car a couple blocks away from the hotel for $30. When we asked the tall blond lady at the concierge desk for parking assistance she was too busy talking with the other staff member about her weekend to assist us. She seemed annoyed at the question. The lobby of the hotel is beautiful and the bar tender in the restaurant is very friendly... even though the drinks are quite pricey. The rooms are abnormally small... it feels like the wall is right at the foot of your bed... the carpet in the room was not very attractive either. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean. Our view was looking into a big office that looked like a call center of some kind. There is no tub, only a shower. No complimentary breakfast... and I don't think they even had a coffee machine. They definitely need to figure something out about their parking situation. I know its New York, but when people are staying at your hotel parking should not cost you $50... get a grip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not in front of a call center.
Reviewed May 29, 2012

OK, its dated. Neat old style lobby. The hotel has a older feel with the elegance of a year gone by. Our room was comfortable although amazingly small. Everything in the room worked as it should and was sufficient for our needs. It had older panache but was well maitained. Comfy bed and sheets and fluffy bath towels. The whole reason we stayed there was its excellent proximity to Grand Central Station and the ease of access to anywhere else we wanted to go. We didnt pay top dollar for the room and thats pretty much what we got. Our attitude is simply that you go to NYC to see the sights, not to stay in your room. So we had money to spend in other places. The staff were very busy all the time and yet willing to help- as was almost anyone else we met in the city. Impressive. The concierge might have been a little sweeter, but all things in context- he was swamped. Jennifer Lopez will not be in the room next door to you (although she did make a movie in this hotel). Stay there again? Sure! For all the reasons above. So go see the Big Apple- You deserve it!! It was my wifes choice and I had the Blast!!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inner "courtyard" are quieter, till it thunders! And we liked that too!!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1shoelace
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed here only because of a business function happening in the hotel. It's an old hotel and the room I was in was small (only a couple of feet clearance at the end of the bed). The bathroom was also very small and cramped. My window was off-kilter and open at the top... so I could never shut it --- so the room was warm from outside air and I had to listen to the sounds of the city (sirens, people, traffic) all night long. Fortunately for me, I didn't have much time to spend in the room except to sleep and I sleep soundly. Otherwise, this might've been a big problem. Main restaurant wasn't open and didn't look like it was EVER open so I ate in the bar one night; service was slow, food was mediocre and overpriced. All in all, this was a less-than-satisfying experience at $260/night. At $150, it'd be an OK value for NYC, but this place isn't nice enough to be charging $250+.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I just stayed at the Roosevelt for a quick stop over before heading out to Europe and got a grate deal on Priceline. Since I love learning about old hotels, I had read about this one before, and I had walked by during past trips to NYC, but this was my "first contact" with the inside. It really makes you feel like you are stepping into times past--the revolving door that is still manually operated brings you into a little foyer from which a rug-covered marble staircase leads you up into the hotel's main lobby--and THAT could really be out of a movie. Big chandeliers, more marble, carpets that make all sounds there a tad muffled, a (cigar) bar on one side, a restaurant on another, and a space half a staircase further up that obviously serves as a gathering place for functions such as wedding receptions make you imagine all kinds of stories set in this place. As a 21st century accommodation, it is not one of the most stunning places I have been to, but everyone was extremely friendly (even though my priceline-negotiated rate could certainly have made me one of their less "desirable" guest) and the atmosphere was definitely unique. The somewhat older charm of the hotel continues into the hallways and guest rooms, and even though I had a fairly small room directly opposite the elevators that beep every time the elevator stops on that level, I was still very well put up. It was a great experience for someone interested in the history of New York hotels, a perfectly fine accommodation for my purposes, and since the hotel is just three blocks away from Grand Central, the 7 train and the Shuttle to Times Square, it was also fairly easy to get to places from there. Highly recommendable if you are not looking for sleek design, all kinds of extra amenities in your room but for a real traditional and imagination-inspiring New York experience!

Room Tip: Try not to get a room across from the elevators if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo