“Must stay Boutique Hotel in Manhattan” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Giraffe

Hotel Giraffe
Ranked #3 of 478 Hotels in New York City
Boston
“Must stay Boutique Hotel in Manhattan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

Second stay at this small, quiet, friendly, boutique hotel-my excellent impression on my first stay was no fluke. Arrived early (11:00am) on Sunday for anniversary prior to brunch reservation at Mesa Grill, checked bags, walked to restaurant and returned with room keys waiting and luggage in room. After dinner, returned to find complimentary bottle of Prosecca in room to celebrate anniversary. Great complimentary breakfast daily and evening wine (including Prosecca) and cheese daily except Sunday in lobby. Access to rooftop garden on 12th floor. Ask for a deluxe guestroom on the 12th floor. Quiet and reasonable location on Park Ave. close to 5th Ave. shopping, Madison Square Park, and Flatiron district (refreshing walk or short cab to Grand Central Station and Times Square). Eating tip-Blue Smoke around the corner on 27th St. is a small bar/restaurant joint (jazz downstairs) with great barbecue that is not going to "break the bank."

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KeukCP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
Huizen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

We had a very pleasant stay at the Hotel Giraffe. Location perfect for going around town, nice restaurants in the neighbourhood (e.g. Tabla at Madison Sq.Park, or the Mexican restaurant next door). Room was beautiful, big for NY standards, nice king-size bed and nicely decorated, windows can be opened, A/C didn't make too much noise. Also free wifi in the room. Our room was opposite the elevator, but doors are "soundproof", didn't hear a thing. Complimentary breakfast was very good, nice coffee! Only thing about the breakfast: there are not many tables, and because it is so nice to sit there with a newspaper or your laptop, people tend to have breakfast longer than usual, you have to find the right time to go down... They serve wine and a small thing to eat during weekdays around 5 p.m., very nice when you come back from work or shopping/sightseeing! Employees were all very friendly and relaxed. Hope to come back next time when in NY!

charleston, sc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

This was probably one of the best places I have stayed in New York. Great size rooms for the city, ideal location and great rates. I loved the breakfast in the morning and the wine receptions seemed to be a hit. Everyone was friendly and I would stay there again next trip.

Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

I stayed at Hotel Giraffe with my parents during Easter Holidays. We chose this hotel thanks to Tripadvisor's reviews. Staff was very kind, our room was spacious enough for three, very clean and comfortable. We had the Superior One Bedroom Suite, one of the best rooms with view on Park Av. South. There was one bedroom, a full size sleeper sofa and a wide bathroom. Breakfast was very good but the little things that made us appreciate our stay were the free internet connection, the free aperitif every evening with a live piano player, the lady who brought us chocolates every night at our room... Furthermore on the last days the hotel had issues with water and they refunded us with 50$ for this inconvenient. I recommend it for everyone!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
World Traveller
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

Look out for the small print associated with the lowest "pre-paid" rate....make sure your plans are fully baked or you won't get your money back. I used to like this hotel but the management is making it hard for me to continue to do so. My assistant made a reservation for me but my plans changed at the last minute and I ended up having to cancel but found out that I couldn't! This is because she selected the lowest rate on the screen offered and it turned out to be a "non-refundable" rate. I called and spoke with the hotel manager who responded that despite an innocent mistake by my assistant (who does not understand these things well) they would be unable to cancel the reservation and make a refund. I also explained that I am a small business owner and avoidable expenses like this are very painful to a start-up.
I have been a fan of this hotel since the opening and stayed there at least 3-4 times and would love to choose it every time I am in NY. My recent experience with the management however leads me to hesitate - they seem to be more concerned about their refund policy than keeping good customers coming back.

• 1 of 5 stars
5 Thank SmallBiz
HotelGiraffe, General Manager at Hotel Giraffe, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear SmallBiz,

We have recently decided to take the opportunity to contact some of our past guests, like yourself, who were not fully satisfied with an aspect of their stay. We are happy to update you and the TripAdvisor Community on the changes we made to our procedures involving our Prepay and Save (Prepaid and Non-refundable) Rate Plan, since your experience at our hotel.

The Prepay and Save rate is our most popular rate plan because it offers the very best value to those travelers who are able to truly guarantee their stay. We do this because firm bookings are so important to us, as it can be difficult for our business to resell rooms that are cancelled at the last minute. In order to keep this mutually beneficial option available to our guests who enjoy it, we looked for ways to ensure that travelers, like yourself, could more clearly understand the terms of what they were booking, thereby helping to ensure that each guest chose the plan that best suited their own needs.

First, we have included the phrase (Non-Refundable) in the name of the rate plan so that it is more clear, even for those who disregard reading the rate plan description. Second, we have made the Prepay and Save Plan not the first rate plan that appears so that bookers will have to take a more active role in selecting the plan. We believe the differences in the plans will then be more readily apparent. Third, our current confirmations highlight that the rate is prepaid and non refundable 5 times on the confirmation so it can’t be missed. It even appears in red. Travelers are told in the confirmation that if this is not the right cancellation policy for them, we recommend they consider one of our more flexible plans. If someone, like yourself , has an assistant book for them and they select the wrong rate plan, as long as the reservation is not for that day or the next, we will help those who contact us within 24 hours to convert their reservation to a rate plan better suited to their needs with no penalty to the guest.

I hope this has helped to explain how we do all that we can to provide for the needs and desires of our guests, while also protecting the needs of our business. If anyone has any questions or concerns about this practice or any other, I am always delighted to hear from TripAdvisor members. Please feel free to call or email me at peter@hotelgiraffe.com

Peter Velk
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

Very friendly staff and atmosphere with free breakfast and wine in the evening in the lobby.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

Very nice place to stay - friendly, easy access to many things, and comfortable. The only thing I could say that would be negative is the cost of the room.....as I was checking in, people who walked in off of the street got a cheaper rate than I received, having made a reservation in advance. I don't think that customers should have to haggle the price. If there is a less expensive offering, it should be made available to all. Thanks again for a great stay, and I would definitely stay again, and recommend it to friends and colleagues.

• 3 of 5 stars