“Highly recommended - great hotel & location”

Hotel Giraffe by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #4 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Although I have tried several other hotels near Times Square & Columbus Circle, this was my first stay around the Union Square area. I'll be back. It is so nice to be aware from the tourist hordes in midtown, but still be in an active area full of shops/restaurants with quick metro access to Grand Central, Noho, etc. This hotel first wins your heart with their welcoming staff, and we were really taken with Gabrielle's friendly service. Their lobby doubles as a pseudo-club lounge with complimentary breakfast, all day snacks/drinks and evening wine & cheese. Be warned - it was so nice to sit down to drinks and fruit/cookies after sightseeing that it was hard to leave! We liked our suite which was roomy with lots of closet space/hangers. Being away from Times Square, the rooms were a lot quieter at night too. The free wifi, complimentary mineral water & turndown chocolates were also appreciated.Perhaps the only complaint was the sofa bed which is adequate but not of the standard of everything else.

Room Tip: 1001 was quiet being high, having only one neighbor and away from elevator noises.
1  Thank nagoyafrog
Write a ReviewReviews (3,881)

Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Giraffe as our first night away from our 21 month old.

Our night began with a wine and cheese happy hour and then were provided with a bottle of wine upon entering our room. The room had plenty of space and the bathroom was organized really well. Not super spacious but good counter space and a good shower.

The bed was a bit firm and not super comfortable, but we could have asked for a mattress topper.

In the morning the breakfast was perfect for what we needed (croissants, fruit, coffee) and we were also given wine and chocolates the night prior as an acknowledgement of our night away.

The only downside was that upon checkout we were given the wrong bill and it was approximately $200 less than what we were paying. When we asked how we get that rate the attendant just hemmed and hawed and didn't really answer the question. This just demonstrates that the value for the hotel was not great, but we were treating ourselves to a night away.

Overall I would highly recommend the hotel especially given that we have stayed in many NYC hotels. This was by far the best.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We recently stayed two nights at the Giraffe -- our first stay, although like other reviewers, we have stayed at their chain's other property, the Hotel Elysee, as well. The Giraffe is in a great part of town, with easy access to restaurants and shopping. Noise was not a problem at all. We started out on the 11th floor with a queen size bed and decided we preferred a king. One call to the front desk and they made arrangements for us to move, no problem. They even transferred our luggage while we were out. We ended up on the 8th floor, and again no noise issue. As compared to the Elysee, the Giraffe is decorated in a more modern style and the bathrooms are larger, which was great. We did not take advantage of the breakfast and unfortunately missed the evening reception, but enjoyed some late night drinks (our own wine) on the roof patio. Very nice way to end the evening! It did not matter to us, but some travelers might need to be aware before booking that the hotel does not have a pool or gym, although passes to a nearby gym are available.

1  Thank Michelle S
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I read about the Hotel Giraffe in an inflight magazine on a WestJet flight I had recently taken. The reviews here on TripAdvisor were great and it sounded like exactly what we wanted for the weekend.
The included breakfast was great -- I was able to have a gluten free bagel every day. My husband enjoyed the wine and cheese at the end of the day (I'm pregnant so I enjoyed the cheese & water). The location is great.
The staff is very helpful and they seem totally relaxed.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This was our 2nd stay and it did not disappoint. The staff is excellent, rooms are top notch and the free breakfast and cocktail hours perfect. If your searching for a mid town location this is the place. Don't count on an early checking, this place is busy!

Room Tip: Excellent wireless speed, rooms starting to show minimal wear & tear.
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my family in a suite style room with a pull-out couch which was much appreciated. The beds were comfortable. The extras were great, continental breakfast, and coffee, tea, espresso drinks and fruit available in the lobby all day.
It is definitely a leisure hotel. The service was very friendly, but we were staying with a car which was valet parked by the hotel. The hotel promises that you will have your car within 20 - 30 minutes, however, we had to wait a full hour on one of the days. The elevators are really slow, and we chose to take the stairs most of the time because the wait was just too long. This hotel would not be a good place to stay if you are in a rush to get places.
It wasn't all that clean. The toilet in the room had old urine stuck to the side of the bowl.
Other than the above mentioned issues, it was a very decent hotel, in a good location.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
HotelGiraffe, General Manager at Hotel Giraffe by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear Niki500,

Thank you for your review about your recent stay with us. We so greatly appreciate you letting us know what you enjoyed about your stay, and what you noticed could use some extra attention. It is wonderful to hear that you liked the Suite for your family; we agree that having a separate living room with a sofa bed is a great option for travelers with children. We are so glad to know you enjoyed our amenities including our continental breakfast and all day snacks, as well as the service from our wonderful staff.

It is just terrible to hear that you were told a different wait time for your car than you actually experienced. We do always try our hardest to be very accurate with any and all services that we provide, but we realize that this was missed here. We have seen some longer wait times for cars especially on the weekends during the summer. Some of the reason for that is due to the very popular Street Fairs every weekend, and the Summer Streets festival that takes place on several Saturdays in the summer. We suspect that your longer wait day may have been a result of the festival, but we hope you will let us know which day specifically, so we can direct this inquiry to the garage that we work in partnership with. Thanks to your feedback, we are also going to ask our front desk staff to let our guests know that wait times can be longer than 20-30 minutes, and advise guests that they may want to give us an hour notice just to be sure their car is here when they need it to be. Driving and parking in New York is famously challenging; that is not something that is exclusive to one hotel. For that reason, we recommend to all the TripAdvisor community that while in New York why not live like a New Yorker and take full advantage of the subways and taxis as well as the most popular option, which is walking. It is truly the way New York City is meant to be experienced.

In regards to the bathroom, we are shocked and embarrassed that this was not cleaned properly for you. Although our housekeeping staff does clean the toilets every day, even for our guests staying over as long as they would like service, we are just mortified if this was missed in your room. We have already spoken to the housekeeper who was working on your floor at the time of your stay, and have asked her to please make sure to be extra attentive since this has happened. Our Director of Housekeeping will also be watching this closely.

I am relieved that despite your wait times, that you enjoyed your stay and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. I would also like to hear more details regarding your valet experience, and I hope you will feel welcome to contact me at peter@hotelgiraffe.com, at your convenience.

Peter Velk, General Manager

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed here recently with our boys, 8 and 10. I wasn't immediately impressed with the hotel but it won me over on all levels pretty quickly. Contrary to what I'd read elsewhere, not all rooms have balconies; our did not. This, although a little disappointing at first, didn't really bother me and we saved by booking a non-balcony room. The room was clean, comfortable and spacious. I had read another guest's comment prior to arriving about the glass in the bathroom door. It is just transparent enough that you don't feel like you've got complete privacy in there. A bit weird but hey, we're all family! We were on the second floor and it was very convenient to use the stairs instead of waiting for the elevator.
One of my favorite things is the free breakfast in the lobby. I don't eat a lot of grains so most continental breakfasts are not very appealing to me. I was happy to find a large bowl of fresh hard-boiled eggs each morning and fresh cut fruit. That was enough to get me through a solid morning of sightseeing and a considerable expense saver. The 24hr self-serve Cimbali espresso machine was also a big plus for me. Great coffee.
I was very happy with the location of the hotel, away from some of the madness of other locations and walkable to some great attractions and shopping. Access to the #6 subway line is close by (28th) for easy jaunts up and down the whole length of Manhattan.
For family-friendly eats nearby, I would recommend Blue Smoke for ribs and Shake Shack in Madison Park for burgers (line-up was long at times... we went on Sunday and it was short).
We we enjoyed our visit to New York and I credit Hotel Giraffe for much of the enjoyment. The staff were friendly and helpful. The lobby is quite small and you begin to feel like you're returning "home" each time you return for a break.

Room Tip: South side room on 26th did not have excessive street noise. No problem sleeping. Wait for elevato...