“Good localization, good room, but a lot of small issues to solve”

Radisson Martinique on Broadway
Ranked #234 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 5, 2014

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for 7 nights last week, in the Classic Guest Room (the basic one).

At the check-in, you have to pay an extra 100 dollars per night, as a guarantee that you will not break or steal anything, I guess. I already had payed in advance for the 7 nights, but had to pay these extra 100 dollars per night. I thought it was a common procedure in cheap hotels, but not in an expensive one like this. At the end of the period they give back this amount, but it is mandatory that you pay, and there is nothing you can do about it. They also don't give you any receipt or document stating that you gave this amount.

The room has a heater/air-conditioning system, but it is too noisy. You can't control the temperature in the room properly, and you can't turn the device off. It has a thermostat, and if it starts working in the middle of the night, you will not sleep for the rest of the night with the noise. I tried to simply turn it off, but it is impossible. I called front desk, and the person said that she didn't know how to turn it off.

In one of the evenings, when I came back from the street, there was a smell of cigarette smoke in the bathroom. Someone was smoking there, for sure. Oh, and by the way, the bathroom has an exaust fan, but it never worked.

Overall, the room was clean and has good amenities, like hair dryer, cable TV (althought it is impossible to change the TV's volume), safe (didn't work, either - it was displying an "ERROR" message when I tried to use it). The room also has a coffeemaker, which I loved, and the room and bathroom were properly cleaned every day.

The hotel is near from two subway lines (yellow and orange), the localization is excellent.

The staff was just okay. Some of them were very friendly but others could definitely be more friendly and polite.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Superkoji
Write a ReviewReviews (4,791)

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Was the first visit to NYC and this hotel was awesomely located for our trip. Easy walking distance from Penn Station, Empire State, and really not far from Time Square. Easy subway access to Central Park and Wall Street. Major shopping is close. Super staff and again awesome location. Rooms a bit small but you have to REMEMBER you're in NYC. There was a minor incident with the building; however, the staff was very competent. We were well taken care of.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank atlashruged
Reviewed May 4, 2014

It's a business hotel. Room is small but it's NYC so that's okay. The room was clean, starbucks downstair is great. One can get a coffee while stepping out of the hotel.
Everything is walkable distance. Times square is not far either.
Great stay, the staff is really helpful in guiding you for tickets, flights and stuff.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

It's my 3rd time in this hotel , I really like the room it's small but comfortable and clean also the room service very helpful , its amazing location beside the subway , shopping area and attraction .
The elevators r too busy all the time so have to wait sometimes .

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Stayed here for one night on business and enjoyed the king suite room. I wish I had more time to stay since my room had 2 bathrooms and I didn't have time to use both! The shower was great and the heat lamp was a nice touch. The breakfast buffet had a lot of options and the real fried eggs were delicious. My only minor complaint was that you can't pull the blinds all the way closed so the ambient light from the street signs filters in through the sheer blinds. I was only there one night so it didn't bother me but over a few days it might become annoying.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Booked two rooms to stay here for one night with my wife and three kids. We picked the property on the basis of the good location and keen price - I could have had a better hotel for the same money, but with a less convenient location.

Check in was a bit slow and given it was getting on for 11pm this wasn't ideal. We were also given the incorrect F&B vouchers - our rate included breakfast & a drink in the bar - and the receptionist was very defensive when it came to not being able to fulfil the request for connecting rooms.

Given that one of the rooms we were assigned had a connecting door, I remain convinced that far too many hotels - including this one - simply do not want to make the effort of allocating connecting rooms. It's easier just to tell people it's only on request then not deliver.

The rooms had been recently refurbished and the beds were comfy, but the water pressure in the shower was a joke for an American hotel.

Only two lifts worked to serve 17 floors on the hotel - the 3rd lift was out of service. This resulted in chaos in the morning attempting to get down to the lobby.

We had been offered free breakfast, but this was in a slightly shabby, overcrowded room on the floor above the main restaurant (which looked a lot more appealing). The staff couldn't keep up and after a wait eventually the 5 of us were left to crowd around a small-ish table that would have been a push for 4. The food was OK, but certainly not worth the $25 p.p that they print on the voucher.

There were some friendly staff in the hotel, but ultimately this is a tourist grade place. The location is good, but I would have been seriously annoyed had I paid any more than the rate we got, which was around $200/nt including taxes (and that mediocre breakfast and the drink vouchers we never used for the bar).

I'm pleased we were just there one night.

Room Tip: Even high rooms on the inside of the hotel are affected by traffic noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank swisstony123
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Me and my mom spend one night before flying back to Europe at the hotel. Upon arrival the room wasn't ready yet, but we could leave our bags with the concierge. This was great. When we got back to check in later that day we received a bigger room. Two kingsized beds, clean bathroom and an amazing view! We where on the sixth floor and heard absolutely no noise coming from Broadway. The hotel helpt us book a shuttle service to the airport and made a reservation at the restaurant we like for us. The next day, after check out, we could store our bags once again and enjoy our last hours in NYC.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank MIE_JO
TaraWilliams, Manager at Radisson Martinique on Broadway, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Hi Hilversum,

It is wonderful to know we helped make your quick NYC visit a success. Our goal is to make the Radisson Martinique your home away from home, even if only for 1 night. Hopefully you’ll have another opportunity to visit the Big Apple again soon. We’ll be ready to say “Welcome Back”.

Warm regards,