“Location”

Ranked #239 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Uk
“Location”
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Just came back from stay at hotel... Location perfect tip: for exiting the subway as there is so many exits use the escalator at end of platform and cross over rd or go all the way on other end of platform to come out where hotel is.. This took me a few days to figure out what exit we need!

Be warned as hotel is huge staff and not very helpful except a few. When I checked in at 1530 my room was still not ready... I had asked for a high level floor which they had but hadn't prepared it for my arrival. Given I had emailed this request months in advance and they had the room not sure why it wasn't prepared. I ended up having to leave my luggage after a long flight and come back after 2 hour. When I came back I was told only the bell boy could get my luggage and he would bring it up for me as he wasn't around - hour later no luggage went downstairs to get it myself had to wait another half hour. Not impressed after a long flight

Overall as a solo traveller location appealed to me just don't expect any good service!

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed four nights at this hotel. We got a room with two beds, and it had a okay size for us two. Not much space for hanging clothes but we managed. Our room had a iron and a iron board, which was very good. Bathroom was small but okay. We got more than enough towels.

One day we found a note slipped under the door that we could not use the water since they were doing some repair of the pipes or something, and that we would be told when we could use it again. All day went, nobody told us anything. Had to go down to the reception and ask ourselves in the evening, and were told that of course we could use it.

The hotel has one big problem and that is elevators. They only have two working, out of three, and with 16 or 17 floors, you have to wait forever and they get overcrowded. I saw 25 people with suitcases waiting once, it seriously took forever.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Our family spent 3 days at this hotel recently, and found the room to be comfortable and large enough for two adults and two tweens (14 and 11) which surprised me considering NYC hotel rooms are usually very small. The bathroom was very spacious. Overall the room was clean and appointed nicely although electoral outlets were in awkward spaces and there weren't enough for our various devices. Beds were very comfortable after a long day of sightseeing. The doormen were pleasant and the concierge was very helpful in answering questions and providing us with the "get ahead of the line" passes for the Empire State Building (which was a quick 10 minute walk). My husband did complain about the thermostat which took awhile to regulate to a moderate temperature, but eventually figured it out. Housekeeping was a little erratic and one day our room went unserviced and was not clean when my husband returned from his meeting after 3:00 pm, but we made our own beds and just asked for clean towels and more coffee. One of the issues frequently mentioned on other reviews was how slow the elevators were; we were on the 12th floor and never had a problem, including during busy hours, so not sure what that's about. Location is fantastic; convenient to subway (which was easy to maneuver and safe during the daytime when we rode it) and within walking distance or short cab ride to Times Square. Definitely recommend Speedys cafe catty corner from the hotel for breakfast; good selection of delicious food very reasonably priced; we ate there every day. Kids split a plate with five pancakes, eggs and bacon for $8. I would definitely stay at this hotel again, we had a great visit!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Stayed here when I was in town for the Super Bowl. Not a bad hotel and I used points for my stay, which was great because rates were higher than normal due to the Super Bowl. I would have given this property four or five stars, but the housekeeping leaves something to be desired. The first morning of my stay, despite having the "do not disturb" sign on my door, I was woken up fairly early in the morning by someone from housekeeping (I think they said something about coffee) trying to enter my room! Luckily, I had locked my door, so they couldn't get in, but it was a very unpleasant way to be woken up. Later in the morning, when I heard someone trying to get into my room again, and this time it was the maid trying to do housekeeping. They couldn't get in because I had locked the latch, and thank goodness, because they could have walked in on me without proper clothing! But how did the staff ignore the "do not disturb" sign and try to force their way into my room? I definitely recommend using the extra locks on your doors to make sure you are not intruded upon. The second day, I left for lunch, and I came back to my room and the maid was sitting on my bed watching television... It was very awkward and she sheepishly finished her housekeeping in my room and then left. The location of the hotel is fine, the front desk staff was very friendly, and overall my room was fine too which is what saved the hotel from receiving a lower rating, but I cannot get over how unprofessional and intrusive the housekeeping staff was. I felt uncomfortable leaving any valuables in my room.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank keegster51
Arendal, Norway
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Stayed at this property for 2 nights in March with family.

We had a rate that included parking. We had to pay an "oversized vehicle fee", however, of $10 per night, because we had a SUV.

The parking garage is across the street and it's not valet so you have to park it and get it yourself (no in/out privileges with the park-and-stay rate though)

Check in was friendly and efficient. I was informed about my upgrade for both rooms in my reservation (we were 7 adults total) and about the benefits at the hotel. I'm a Club Carlson concierge so experiences might differ. The benefits included two boxes of Belgium chocolate, Macy's coupons (in practicality just the -10% you get at Macy's as an international visitor)

Our room was on the 17th floor, which is the executive level together with the 18th floor. On the 17th there is a spacious lounge with work areas, TVs, coffee machine and some snacks and fruits. It was a nice gathering place in the afternoon, considering all 7 of us wouldn't fit in either of the rooms.

The free wifi worked great throughout my stay and I had no connectivity issues either in the room nor the lounge.

I tried the fitness center one of the mornings. It felt crammed but was plenty enough for me. Though I can imagine it can get crowded at peak hours.

The two rooms received two breakfast vouchers each, which was valid for the $24,95-buffet served in the mezzanine above the Martinique Café. The buffet was great and had a delicious spread, varying from hot entrees to fresh fruit, yoghurt, pastry and bread. A great an filling meal. Included in the buffet was also beverages, and my orange juice and tea was served promptly every morning :)

The room itself wasn't huge by any means, but we had enough space to move about in the room. The bathroom was actually of a good size, and included a combined shower/tub, toilet and sink. Everything was clean, though the bathroom itself looked a little dated.

The location for this hotel, is what impressed me the most, however. It practically took less than 2 minutes to walk from the front door of the hotel to the subway "downstairs" It is located at Broadway and 32nd which is right by Herald Square and Macy's. Times Square is probably a good 15-minute walk away, and the Empire State building is almost next door. Perfect hotel location for a Manhattan/Midtown adventure.

I would definitely return here next time I'm in NYC.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Helena, Montana
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

My adult daughter and I stayed here 3-8-14 thru 3-12-14 for a convention at the Javits Center (which we were able to walk to from the hotel.) We weren't sure how it would be after reading so many disagreeing reviews. We were in room 720. Our room faced the Herald Square subway. How exciting for us to view the excitement of the city with people off to work and the numerous taxis ready to deliver people to their destinations. The noise level was surprisingly quiet from the street and we never heard our neighbors if we had any.

Our room was ready when we arrived and we were quite pleased with the size. It was neat and tidy. There were two very comfortable beds, a desk with chair, dresser, and a sitting chair. There was ample lighting also. The towels were soft and plentiful. What a delight to have bottle water upon arrival and a Kuerig coffee maker for that much wanted coffee in the morning!

We were greeted each day by friendly and polite doormen and also an apple. The wait for the elevator was never too long and found the ones behind the front desk to be a little quicker.

The location was so perfect for taking the subway. Speedy's was recommended by others on this post and we agree. They are speedy and very reasonably priced for fresh delicious food.

I highly recommend a stay here as we didn't see any downside to it at all. This was our first time to NY and I would stay again next time.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Kathy R
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed March 19, 2014

A friend and I stayed here this past weekend and I can honestly not find a single thing wrong with our stay. When we arrived our room was not ready; however, they quickly found an alternative and this meant an upgrade. I was not a Carlson Club member before, but was glad to sign up. Although the price of the room seemed a little high, the overall experience was worth every penny.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends