“Poor service, dangerous old elevators, uncomfortable beds”

Radisson Martinique on Broadway
Ranked #234 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I could not be more disappointed with my experience at Radisson's premier property in New York. On my arrival to the hotel, the check in process took close to fifteen minutes, despite there being only two people in line ahead of me. The hotel imposes an ID requirement for ALL guests, instead of just the primary guest, and takes photocopies of each guest's ID. This is not the norm in the United States, and it slowed down the check-in process enormously.

After check in, we proceeded to the rickety, ancient elevators, and after a wait, boarded one, headed for the 16th floor. The elevator took several minutes just to reach the fourth floor which seemed very strange. Then the numbers on the elevator display began to jump around crazily. The elevator began jerking up and down. I pushed the emergency call button, and was immediately connected to an operator. However, since I knew we were close to the fourth floor, I pushed the buttons for nearby floors, and were able to exit safely. The elevator was taken out of service for the rest of our stay.

Next, I arrived in the room, and tried to connect to the internet. However, there were two different speeds offered, a free speed (a slow 512kbps), and a paid speed ($12.95 per day, 2.5Mbps). I called the front desk to ask whether, as a Club Carlson Gold member, I was entitled to use the faster internet without charge. I was answered very rudely by the front desk employee, who told me "If you want fast internet, you can pay for it," but did not answer my question. I repeated my question again, emphasizing that I wanted to know about the benefits of my Gold status. The employee told me she had no idea, but that she would transfer me to a manager who could tell me whether I would be charged for the faster service. I was put on hold, and the phone rang for several minutes, and then the line dropped dead. A few minutes later, a customer service representative called with a general welcome call, to ask how we found our room. I told her about my internet question, and she again told me she had no idea whether my Gold status entitled me to use the faster internet. I explained about the dropped call, and she assured me that she would connect me to a manager. Again I was placed on hold while the phone rang for several minutes, and then the call disconnected without an answer.

At this point, I gave up on the hotel internet entirely, since the free service was unuseably slow. The room was very dark, with only a single smallish window. The furnishings were updated and looked stylish, but the bed was quite uncomfortable.

On the whole, because of these experiences, I was left with an overall very negative impression of the hotel. Especially because my attempts to talk to a manager resulted in wasting my time with calls that were never answered, I simply gave up on trying to get service, and went on with my life. But I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
TaraWilliams, Manager at Radisson Martinique on Broadway, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Greetings from the Radisson Martinique,

I was aware of and elevator issue earlier this week, but hadn’t realized the extent of the problem. The safety of our guests and co-workers is our top priority. The elevator remained unavailable until an independent contractor could service and test the car prior to its returning to service.

We have also contacted a specialist to test our Manager’s phone extension to identify connectivity issues. Under no circumstances should a guest feel unacknowledged or unanswered. This is in no way consistent with our “Yes I Can” culture.
Please accept our sincerest apologies for your visit and know your comments will help us streamline our services.

Warm regards,

Radisson Martinique Management Team

Write a ReviewReviews (4,791)

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We were walking a lot, close to all main points, and this is the best about this hotel. Room was small, but enough. I paid with my points, in this case it was not expensive. Generally fine hotel in the city, but still a lot to do.

1  Thank Marek M
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I have stayed in the hotel for one night, using one of last year stay one get one certificates. I am also a Gold member of the Club Carlson.

Checking in around 11:00 in the morning, no room are available. Which is a shame, but understandable as it is before the posted check-in time. However, when I ask if they can call my cell when a room will be ready, I got a look as if I was trying to buy the receptionist first born. The look they have gave one another was condensing one as “did he really just requested that?”. Needless to say I have never received any phone. Wouldn’t it be easier to say that we cannot do that instead?

Coming back later in the afternoon, the check in process was a little better. I guess I was upgraded (as the room was on the 17th floor, the executive level). The room was big for Manhattan, including a sofa and a decent size bath. The bed was very comfortable. The room, however, does show its age. The closet door are crooked, the bath room shower head is shaky. But those are little details that do not detract from the comfort of the room and the location.

Internet was free, but extremely slow at times multiple guests are trying to use it. Early in the morning, the speed was much better than the evening before.

There are only 3 small elevators, but at least during my stay, the wait was never excessive.

Despite reports of Gold members receiving breakfast coupons (which are not required for Gold level), I did not receive any coupons, even after a gentle probing at the front desk.

All in all it is a decent choice for Manhattan, only a little more than a block from Penn Station (very convenient to catch the train), and with the free night on points is definitely a place I would consider favorably on the next NYC trip, despite the check in mishaps.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel about six times over the last year and while the physical facility is lovely, the manager has created a culture among the staff that makes me feel unwelcome every time I check in. It took a while to figure out just what was wrong here, because it is very subtle. It's that the hotel has a whole bunch of policies designed to allow them to say no to guests and hide behind rules they have created for themselves, that make them outliers in the general hospitality community.

The biggest hotel-defined rule is a non-traditional check-in time of 4 PM and check-out time of 11 AM. I take a train from Boston to New York's Penn Station, which is a short walk from the hotel. Two trains from Boston arrive in NYC at 2:45 PM and 3:15 PM respectively. But this hotel has chosen to define a 4 PM check-in time instead of a 3 PM check-in time, which is generally the industry standard. And they mean 4 PM. In the six check-ins I have had, arriving at the hotel between 3:00 PM and 3:30 PM on one of the Boston trains, I have never been allowed to check-in to a room before 4 PM. The clerk that checked me in on my most recent visit admitted that this allowed them to have less housekeeping staff than they would otherwise need, but for me, it is an incredible lack of hospitality, as unless you are very careful reading the fine print of your reservation (and make it yourself instead of using corporate travel agent), an experienced traveler, especially one from Boston, is being set up to have to wait for his/her room. Welcome to the Radisson Martinique!

Another weird aspect of this hotel is the near constant crowds of flight crews and their luggage milling around the lobby and entrance all the time. Every time you try to enter or leave the hotel, there are dozens of flight attendants and pilots and their luggage in the way. The hotel is situated on one of the busiest intersections in New York, so after fighting your way past crowds of tourists outside the hotel just to get to the entrance, you have to fight your way through airline personnel.

Having said this, the front desk staff and bell staff are friendly and to the degree they are allowed by management, helpful. The rooms I have had are clean, with comfortable beds and large, nice bathrooms. The flat screen televisions in the rooms are tiny compared to the size of the room and most hotels these days (another cost-saving measure, perhaps, like the reduced housekeeping staff requiring the hotel to have a 4 PM check-in time). The internet is free and adequate; a heavy user might need to upgrade to the premium paid service as the free internet is sluggish, but not terrible.

The elevators are tiny but there are enough of them that if they are all working, the waits are not terrible.

In general, this could be a great place if they remembered that hospitality means figuring out what the guests want and need and making it available to them, instead of figuring out how to cut corners and then imposing rules on guests that allow them to save money.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank fenwayman
TaraWilliams, Manager at Radisson Martinique on Broadway, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Greetings from New York City,

Thank you for speaking so highly of our Front Office and Bell Staff. We will absolutely share your comments with our team.

Recently I travelled from New York to Boston via train for the first time. It was a wonderfully enjoyable experience. However, I can also imagine your frustration after travelling such a distance and not have an early check-in available to you. We are always able to hold you bags with our Bell Captain, but there’s nothing like settling into your own room. We tend to have pre-check in available earlier in the day, as some previous reviewers have mentioned. I am sorry you have not been able to take advantage of this convenience. As an insider tip, I suggest calling the Hotel directly with your arrival time. While we cannot guarantee early check-in, it allows our team to target an available room in advance.

Regarding our housekeeping staffing, I am sorry there was miscommunication. Between the hours of 2PM and 5PM our property has peak Room Attendant staffing with 3 shifts coinciding. This is to assure the maximum number of rooms are available upon arrival.

Thank you for taking the time to review us; and especially for making us your home away from home in New York City.

Warm regards,
Tara Williams
Radisson Martinique Management

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 days in September.
Location is superb for Empire State,Macy's,and within walking distance to Theatre district.
Easy to get to Met,Guggenheim by Subway which is Close by.
Room was clean and reasonable size. Decor is stylish. Staff are friendly and efficient.
Couple of minor gripes....check in at 4 is inconvenient , coffee maker is hopeless and only 3 sachets is stingy.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We extended our stay for one week and Ana helped us with the reservation. However, when we checked out, we encountered some problems including:
1. The rate quoted by Ana, it did not reflect on the billing that we paid when checked-out and the front desk refused to acknowledge it because we had signed a paperwork in the beginning.
2. When we checked-out, we left a laptop charger and a kindle charger as well as a travel adapter, but until today, no one has turned them in (I would assume the housekeeping). They were non-room amenities and impossible for the housekeeping to miss them while plugged on the wall. Room number was 1239
3. The remote control for the TV and the TV set are not of the same brand, and navigating is not easy with different remote control.
4. There was no pressure from the shower and the drainage is very slow.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank J M

Greetings from NYC,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The Radisson Martinique on Broadway work diligently to ensure any claim is fully investigated. We were able to follow-up with Ana. It seems you were quoted the average rate for your 6 night extension. However, your registration displayed each individual day’s rate. We apologize for any confusion regarding this matter.
While our Security did not locate your chargers within our lost and found log, we have contacted our linen service to search for your items as well. If found, we will reach out to you immediately.
To discuss your stay further, please contact the hotel directly and ask for any Front Office Manager.

Radisson Martinique Management Team

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Spent 4 nights at this Radisson in July travelling with a party of 8. We had 3 rooms between us and all met our expectations. Beds lovely and comfy after a day pounding the streets of New York! Bathroom more than adequate, and room nice and clean and size plenty big enough for the amount of time spent in them. Hotel staff were OK, and the bar was a welcome sight after a full on day of site-seeing!! Only niggle was bar tender blew hot and cold! We didn't eat in restaurant, although it did look nice.
Concierge on our last day was a fantastic help (can't remember his name, although Tony springs to mind - he had a broad New York accent!). As previously stated this hotel is in a fantastic position for everything, great value for money, lovely building and would defiantly go back!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family