“Will stay there again”

Ranked #86 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
“Will stay there again”
Reviewed October 3, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Metro for 6 nights in August. We had booked it because of the good reviews on Tripadvisor. We had spent a long time trying to decide where to stay. But we are very happy we made this decision.
We requested a room on the higher floors and got one just below the rooftop and it was really nice. I think it was a new room. My husband also told them it was my birthday and they had left some chocolates in the room. This hotel is great value for money. The breakfast is good. You get tea, coffee, fruit, bagels, toast, pastries and muffins. Enough to last you until lunchtime!
The location is great too! It’s got Fifth Avenue on one side and Macy’s on the other. Times Square is only 5 minutes away. I definitely recommend doing the bus hop-on-hop-off thing. As you get unlimited rides for 72 hours we used the bus to go downtown for dinner as well. Saved us on paying for the underground or a taxi.
There was one girl in reception who was a bit moody but the rest were helpful enough. I also used the beauty salon and the lady who runs it is really lovely. I had to wait for my nail polish to dry and she told me lots about her life in America. She’s originally from Romania.
Also opposite the hotel a bit further down towards Fifth Avenue, there is a delicatessen store run by a Korean woman. At the back there is a little restaurant type thing which is amazing. My husband and I have lived in Hong Kong and are usually really fussy about our Chinese food but this was really good.
All in all it was a good experience. The hotel is clean, good value for money and in a great location. I would definitively recommend it.

10 Thank Mia1976

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 1, 2006

I stayed at Hotel Metro over the last weekend. Even after reading the raving reviews, I was a bit skeptical since I had received such a low price (about $160/night, due to a special Sunday night discount). However, my room was big enough and nicely furnished, and I had no problems through my stay. The complimentary breakfast was a nice perk, as was the free wireless internet access.

The walls were a bit thin, and the room, while better than adequate, could have been a bit more comfortable. However, since it's in New York I'd say any price less than $200/night for this hotel would be a good deal.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to save a few dollars and still have a nice place to stay; if, however, you are looking to pamper yourself I would look for something just a little bit nicer.

• Liked — Good location, relatively inexpensive with nice benefits
  • Disliked — just a little bit out of the way and not the absolute nicest place ever
  • Tips/Secrets — Book it if it's less than $200, I think that would be a great deal
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
3 Thank zski
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Reviewed September 30, 2006

This is a VERY overdue review. I visted NYC for the first time back in 2003 with my boyfriend and could not fault the hotel. The view from the roof terrace is simply superb. You just sit there in owe of the Empire State Building.

The hotel is ideally situated, Macy's is literally at the end of the road with time square and madison square just a 5-10min walk. The metro is also at the end of the block.

The service we got at the hotel was faultless. Everyone of the reception staff we encountered were very helpful and gave advice on which metro line to get & type of tickets to get along with details on the bus tours.

We were there on B&B basis and there was always a selection of bagles, muffins tea and coffee on offer. Although I was getting a bit sick of bagles by the end of our stay.

We never ate in the restaurant but heard good reports about it.

The hotel was very clean and our room was quiet although our view was onto another building. One aspect that made us smile everyday was on our return to the room at the end of the day, the towels in the bathroom were always folded a different way, triangles, fan, spiral - I never knew towels were so versitile!!

Overall we loved NYC and cant wait til we return. Although we will not be staying at this hotel as we want to stay in a different part of the city, I have and always will recommend this hotel to people.

• Liked — location, location, location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2003, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Soph1981
Flagstaff,AZ
Reviewed September 30, 2006

We booked our stay at Hotel Metro based on the positive reviews we saw on Trip Advisor. All of the hotels in NYC were expensive when we were going and its hard to know which hotels are actually worth the money. I can honestly say that Hotel Metro was everything that we expected. It wasn't a luxurious hotel and I wasn't blown away, but it was exactly what we wanted and nothing was lacking.
The location was great, walking distance to everything but not right in the middle of the Times Square craziness. The free breakfast was convenient and we found the staff to be helpful. The rooms were actually roomy, which I think is rare in the city. This was one of the few hotels where I could actually get a king size bed and be guaranteed a non smoking room. That to me was the worth the price. We requested an upper level floor room to cut down the traffic noise and we were given a room on the 12th floor, perfect. I would recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Liked — large non smoking rooms
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Tips/Secrets — request an upper level floor room
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank getzklein
Luton, Beds
Reviewed September 25, 2006

This hotel is absolutely perfect. From check-in to check-out we could not have asked for more perfect service. Anu ,the concierge, is the most delightful person and she will do all in her power to make your stay memorable. Matthew on the door is always ready with a smile and helpful hints. Hotel is ideally situated for everything. Subway just at the end of the street; Macy's on the corner and the hotel provides maps, details of excursions and also a voucher to get discount on food at The Playright Irish Bar just a couple of doors away. The deck on top of the penthouse is an excellent way to spend a couple of hours just gazing at the Empire State Building. Bar on deck opens in good weather from 5pm - 10pm. Ice machine on top floor if you want to have drinks in your room. Have read in previous reviews that the staff are arrogant - don't know who wrote this but this definitely is not true. The complimentary breakfast is wonderful. Every type of bagel, muffins, fresh fruit, yoghurts, toast, coffee, tea, juice. Sets you up for all the walking you'll do!! Definitely visit O'Hara's bar at Ground Zero. Paul (owner's son) has a photo album of the aftermath of the tragedy which virtually decimated the bar. He is fantastic and we think he should be Prime Minister of the UK !! When you talk to him you'll see why!! His stories will make you laugh and cry - what a fantastic guy. The whole experience was wonderful. Definitely will go back.

• Liked — Situation and staff
  • Disliked — Nothing!!
  • Tips/Secrets — Go there!!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
7 Thank SueMunn
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2006

good
location
v helpful staff
large comfortable room
free wifi

bad
breakfast

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bencb
Newcastle, UK
Reviewed September 18, 2006

Hotel Metro is right in heart of the metropolis of Manhattan so it lives up to its title.
Located on west 35th street off 5th Avenue; it's a 5 minute walk to many local ameneties including a Subway station, major stores such as Sketchers,Old Navy and Macy's and plenty of bars and restaurants.
The check-in was smooth and hassle free. Non-smoking rooms require you to sign a $250 waiver that can be billed to your card if you smoke in the room.
The room seemed fairly "lived in" but was clean. The bed was very comfortable, ideal because when in New York you should only need the room for the 5 S's.
Sleep, Shower, Shave.... I'll leave it to you to decide on the other 2 !
No view from out 5th floor room which didn't really concern us as the room face away from the street and therefore was quiet.
The bathroom was spacious enough, with a large walk in shower that was New York powerful.
The absence of a view was compensated by the fact that the hotel boasts a roof terrace that was open till very late for viewing.
The terrace has a bar on good weather weekdays only between 5pm and 10pm.
During our stay (mid Sept 2006) the 3rd floor was undergoing a complete renovation including bedrooms and decor.

Breakfast seemed a relaxed affair with pastries, bagels, toast and muffins piled high along with juices and tea/coffee free flowing.

If you're after a hotel you want to "hang out" in for the ambience, decor and people watching then forget the Metro, but if you want somewhere central with clean rooms to lay your weary head then it does what it says on the tin.

• Liked — The central location and the roof terrace
  • Disliked — A bit tired looking, but currently undergoing renovation
  • Tips/Secrets — If you are non-US go to Macys visitor centre before you shop, get a tourist 11% off card for free!
4 Thank gst1