“Brilliant Hotel”

Ranked #91 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, UK
“Brilliant Hotel”
Reviewed May 1, 2006

This was our first time to NYC & we spent ages on this site looking for an affordable hotel that had good reviews & it seems we struck gold.

This hotel is a little gem! From the moment we got there to the moment we left nothing was too much trouble. The receptionist who checked us in was lovely, I had e-mailed the hotel prior to arriving to ask for a high room & that it was a Birthday celebration for both me & my husband & we had room on the 11th floor (1117) with a box of chocs! The room was facing the front of the street & you could hear some traffic but it wasn't too bad. The room was a good size & decorated exceptionally well. The fridge was handy to store drinks in. We booked a bus tour through them which was handled very well.

Breakfast as most people have said was good - huuuuge muffins!!!

The rooftop terrace was lovely - the bar wasn't open as we went at the end of April so we just bought a couple of drinks from the coke machine & sat up there taking in the view of the ESB.

We would definately stay here again & would recommend it to anyone!!

13 Thank SHE2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 1, 2006

My friend and I have just had the most wonderful stay at the fantastic Metro Hotel. The location of this hotel is so central, twixt Macy's and the Empire State Building. The reception staff were so friendly and helpful. There is a ramp up to the main reception for difficult luggage. The entrance was spotless and welcoming with beautiful art deco decor. We were upgraded to a penthouse suite at the back of the hotel so it was quieter than at the front. The room was delightful, so clean and spacious with a lovely bathroom and very comfortable beds. The hotel roof terrace was open with excellent views to the ESB; the only disappointment being that the lights were out on the ESB so we didn't see it's full nightly glory. Bar and music on the terrace in the evening was a wonderful experience. Breakfast was fantastic. Who could grumble at fresh fruit, bagels, muffins, cereals, toast ,juice etc and as much tea and coffee all day long. This hotel is a bargain and so well presented. I shall return and recommend everyone else to do the same. Thank you Hotel Metro for a wonderful unforgettable stay

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 28, 2006

My Partner and I stayed at the Metro Hotel for ten days in late March. The first thing we noticed as we stepped out of the cab with our luggage was no bell boys. The entrance features two double glass doors with a couple of steps. Keeping those doors open and lugging bags was a little tricky.
We found that the reception desk were a little rude, often talking amongst themselves, first when we were checking in and secondly when we had to call them. I didn't feel the hotel had an atmosphere or vibe like many others i've experienced in NYC. I feel it is better suited to families and older couples.
We had a large room with a window out to the street, if you're a light sleeper (like me) than ask for a room in the back section as the noise and the rubbish trucks does filter through.
The decor of the hotel is in need for a touch up or revamp and not to our taste.
Breakfast menu was great, and the all day coffee was convenient.
Location was great for shopping, empire state building, a couple blocks from madison square garden and about 6ish blocks away from Times Square.
Overall, we wouldn't stay at Hotel Metro again, there are better hotels in NYC for about the same price.

• Stayed March 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2006

We spent 5 nights at the Metro over Easter period. Every aspect of the hotel met and exceeded our expectations.

The location is superb being close to Empire State, Macy's etc. Staff were always very helpful and friendly. Internet room provided (free) was very well equiped. Rooftop terrace (bar at night) was just superb with great views to ESB and other buildings of interest. Gym is well equiped. Free continental breakfast was quite good and a bonus as most places it is extra - shame all of the plates and cutlery are throw aways!

Overall loved the hotel (decor is lovely). Could not think of one negative aspect of the hotel in the time that we stayed. Would recommend highly.

7 Thank M_ALondon
Irvine, California
Reviewed April 12, 2006

We stayed at the Hotel Metro April 9 thru 11. I can't say enough about this hotel and the staff. First, the entire staff were extremely helpful, polite, and courteous. They went out of their way to make this the best stay for us. I had mentioned that this is my daughters first trip outside of California, so they set us up in a great room on the 12th floor with a perfect view of the Empire State Building! My daughter(and myself)was thrilled. The gentleman at the door is a wealth of information on the surroundings and super nice. The room was clean and cozy. I normally have a hard time sleeping comfortably anywhere but my own home, but the bed at this hotel was so comfy, that I enjoyed a good nights sleep. The continental breakfast was plentiful with a great variety of breads, muffins, yogurt, fruit and condiments. The ladies in the breakfast area were also very friendly and they kept the place stocked up nice. I loved everything about this hotel and I highly recommend it. The Hotel Metro will be my choice whenever I head out to the Big Apple.

9 Thank sharzi67
Newry
Reviewed April 12, 2006

I stayed at the Hotel Metro at the beginning of April with my Mother and Sister. We had a fantastic trip and it was helped enormously by the choice of hotel and its very helpful staff. The rooms were very clean and not at all cramped. The use of the safe in the room is free, the room also has a fridge. The price of the room includes breakfast which is really great. You have a choice of fruit, cereal, toast, bagels, muffins and pastry. There is also tea, coffee and orange juice. The tea and coffee is available all day! The location of the hotel is excellent with Macys just at the end of the street. The staff were excellent advising us on the most suitable trips for our stay and booking excursions and helicopter ride! The Hotel Metro is fantastic value for money and I have been recommending it to all my friends since I returned home - I will definetely be back!

10 Thank shazz500_8
Cumbria, UK
Reviewed April 9, 2006

What a fantastic hotel - perfectly located, friendly staff & very reasonably priced.

We were lucky enough to be upgraded upon check-in to the Penthouse Suite 1. The suite was a great size with 2 double beds, a large closet with electronic safe, a couch & fridge. The bathroom was huge with 2 sinks, a large jacuzzi & a seperate power shower. We had fantastic views of the Empire State Building from our window (as shown in our pictures). Both our room & bathroom were spotless.

The rooftop terrace is wonderful with amazing views of the ESB & it has plenty of seating - it will be great in the summer.

We found the staff attentive & very helpful, especially the friendly doorman who helped us to get a taxi to the airport. On our first night when we returned back to our room there was an ice bucket & bottle of champagne waiting for us which I thought was a really nice touch. We also were given chocolates.

The complimentary breakfast is very good and really sets you up for the day. There are fresh bagels, muffins, pastries, cereals, fruit & juices on offer. Tea & coffee is available all day.

Thank you to all the staff of the Hotel Metro for making our trip so special, we will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2006