“Hotel Metro - Worth a stay...”
Review of Hotel Metro

Hotel Metro
Ranked #96 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 2, 2006

As this was a surprise trip for my partner, I wanted something affordable but still good quality. After months of looking on Trip Advisor, I decided on the Hotel Metro.

When we arrived at the Hotel, the man on the desk would not let us check in until we gave him a "voucher" that we could have got through the company we booked the hotel through. Although we had ten pieces of literature that I had printed off, evidentially I didn't have the "voucher" needed! After travelling a long distance, the last thing you need was to be told you couldn't check in and would need to contact the company ourselves and get a voucher faxed over!?!?! Luckily I remembered reading that the Hotel has an Internet connection, so asked if I could use the PC and look for the Voucher (I had to suggest this!). Finally we sorted it out and I found the Voucher and presented it to them.

Before arriving at the Hotel, I e-mailed them several times requesting for a high floor room. When we got into the room, we found it was on the first floor facing the road. (brilliant!!). As this was a special trip for my Girlfriend, I decided to stay where we were and see how it went (instead of making a fuss and asking to be moved). In the end, it didn't matter too much as we were never in the room and I only got woken up a couple of time by traffic outside (your so tired with working all day - you sleep through anything!).

The Room was a good size, with the decoration good taste. Also included was a fridge and Safe, which both came in handy during our stay. The bathroom was of a good standard, although the toilet did overflow once....although the maid cleared it up within half an hour which was good.

Breakfast was 1st class and settled the day up well. Could have as much as you want, ranging from muffins, toast, fruit and cakes. We often went back time and time again for a refill!!

Location is the best part of this Hotel. 10 minute walk to Times Square and 2 minutes to Macys! (which my Girlfriend loved!). The Subway is around a minute walk also, which gives you access to the rest of the City.

Free Internet access (although limited to 30 mins) was handy and we used it several times for booking an excursion for during our stay.

The Roof Top Terrace was nice and I can imagine in the Summer being popular.

Overview:

You get what you pay for. We enjoyed our stay at the Hotel and found it exactly what we wanted. Would we stay here again? Maybe. First would look for what else was available. All in all though, was worth the money I paid.

13  Thank Gloryhornet25

London, UK
Reviewed February 28, 2006

Great hotel to choose. The breakfast is plentiful and served until 11am. The reception staff were really helpful. Although the location is great for midtown shopping like Macy's etc.. if you want to hang out in the village it seems a bit far and we ended up catching cabs quite alot. Hotel is near the subway and the rooms were clean with great comfy beds.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 27, 2006

Reading other people’s reviews I can agree with both the positive and negative statements. I would probably have given 3.5 if that had been possible on the review.

Firstly the good points: in general the staff were very friendly and responded to problems quickly, the décor was very sympathetic with the art deco theme, the free breakfast was basic but a very welcome added bonus and the location was ideal, near to Macy’s and the Empire State Building. Reading the other comments about room sizes we ordered a larger “double-double” room and were upgraded to a family room which had both a “standard” bedroom adjoined to the room with two double bedrooms (plenty of space!).

The downside was that being an “historic” hotel the plumbing could have been better, once our toilet overflowed. Also the room décor was very slightly “tired”. The next comment may seem churlish but the upgrade did allow us to compare rooms. If you want some space go for the “double-double”, the extra cost of this does mean though that one cannot then regard the hotel as a “budget” one. Finally make sure you get a yellow cab back to the airport ($45 against the $75 for the car that the hotel would have booked – the receptionist was slightly snooty when we refused (lost commission?)

Would I go back? Possibly but I would want to check whether I could get a better deal elsewhere first.

Stayed: February 2006
7  Thank DaiC
London
Reviewed February 27, 2006

You get what you pay for at the Hotel Metro. For NYC its good value and I've stayed in a few. We got:

A big room for NYC standards (go for double deluxe)
A clean room with fresh towels daily
A serve yourself eat as much as you like breakfast
All day tea and coffee
A great location in Midtown close to the shops and sights.

The service is fine in that authenticate New York fashion. Yes some of the rooms are a bit tired with a bit of worn out carpet or tiny bit of peeling wall paper but I've found them to be clean and everything works. Who spends much time in their room anyway? The hotel bar next to the lobby is good for a pre-dinner drink or night cap and the food is ok too.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 22, 2006

This hotel does not live up to some of the rave reviews I read on this site and it is expensive for what it delivers. The rooms are adeqaute but old-fashioned, bordering on the shabby. Nobody at the front desk advised me on arrival that there was a free breakfast, and I therefore did not avail of it - indeed these staff, though not discourteous, are not exactly pro-active. The exception is the excellent hall-porter, who is cheerful and efficient and who was coping splendidly with the conditions of Great Blizzard of February 2006. Free Broadband access is only through two terminals in the "business centre" and users are limited to 30 minutes per session - very inconvenient for anybody needing longer access for business communication purposes. I will not be coming back to this hotel, despite its central location.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
8  Thank Isidore
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2006

Stayed at the Metro from 25 Jan to 31 Jan. I really cannot fault this hotel at all. When I have stayed in other hotels in New York you can usually find something to fault, but not here.

Great location, large clean rooms, friendly and helpful staff, free coffee 24 hrs a day, and a fantastic free breakfast.

Best of all is the rooftop terrace with a stunning view of the Empire State Building. When I return to New York, I will definitely be staying at the Metro again.

• Stayed: January 2006
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 17, 2006

Chose this hotel on the basis of the reviews on Trip Advisor.Excellent location near Penn Station,Madison Square Garden, ESB,Macey's and Times Square.Coffee on tap 24 hours was welcome after a days sightseeing and leaving for the early morning flight back!The buffet breakfast was adequate for our needs.Our room at the back was not a great view but that mean't it was quiet.Would certainly stay here again.

Unlike many large hotel's, this one came across as small and homely with the added bonus of a night view of the ESB from the roof terrace.

6  Thank mickd23