“Metro Hotel was brilliant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Metro

Hotel Metro
Ranked #84 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Gravesend, United Kingdom
“Metro Hotel was brilliant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2005

I spent 6 nights at the Metro with my friend (who also wrote a review, dated 19th June) during mid-June 2005 and I must say that this hotel was just great! It's everything that you need in a New York hotel....excellent location (you just can't fault it), great service and polite helpful staff, tasty buffet breakfast and comfortable rooms.

It's just a couple of seconds from the subway (a main one - 34th Street - with loads of lines going through it) and is right near Macy's, Empire State Building and not far at all from Times Square (10 mins walk max or one subway stop). Our room was nice and large and beds were very comfortable. Also had a big TV with about 30 channels, a fridge, a table, couple of chairs, chest of drawers, phone, lamps and a large complete bathroom with fresh towels everyday. The breakfast is just right with muffins, bagels, fruit, bread (and toaster), yoghurts and fruit juices, tea, coffee, etc. It's not like a full English you could get elsewhere but it was just perfect for the start of your day (we loved it!).

For our first time going to New York and two girls together, we wanted to choose a great hotel with an excellent location and we were not at all disappointed. We didn't have a view (we stayed on the 3rd floor) but we didn't find it a problem as you're out most of the time and everything else makes up for it! I think that overall this hotel is brilliant and is a perfect place to stay while in New York!

• Stayed June 2005
13 Thank jules_foreva

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2005

I have just returned from a 6 night stay at the Metro and can honestly say it was perfect for my friend and I. The location cannot be faulted

- Just down the road is a subway station (we bought the 7-day metrocard and found the subway easy to use)
- 1 minute away is Macy's
- 10 minute walk away is Times Square and all the Broadway shows are within easy reach
- Empire state building and 5th avenue is just around the corner

The view of the Empire state building from the rooftop at night is unmissable.

The room itself was large, clean and the fridge was handy for keeping cold drinks. The beds were very comfortable, which was appreciated after a long day of sightseeing and shopping! We didn't have a view on the 3rd floor, but it was very quiet and we slept soundly every night.

The continental breakfast set you up for the day with muffins, toast, pastries, cereal, juices etc. Tea and coffee is also available all day.

The staff were friendly during our stay. All in all we enjoyed our stay at the Metro and would not hesitate in staying there again for its very central location.

• Stayed June 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2005

My husband and I visited NYC with our two children, 8 and 13, on May 13-16--a time when nearly every other hotel - even the Belvedere, our favorite - was booked up weeks in advance. We were pleasantly surprised with the Metro Hotel. Stayed in a family suite with two spacious sleeping areas...there was plenty of room for all four of us. Bathroom was small (large shower, no tub) but very clean - as was the rest of the room. The free continental breakfast worked out great, and the hotel rooftop was a great spot to have an impromptu picnic lunch with a great view of the Empire State Building. Subway stations were very convenient - as was the original Macys (the wooden escalators were a big hit). The $250 a night pricetag was more than we would normally pay, but for our kids' first trip to NYC it was worth it.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2005

Thanks, tripadvisor, for making reviews available...I did lots of research on-line to get the best place for the best price for our hotel room in New York. We had 2 adults and 2 teens in our party, so value was important. Thanks to your reviews, I was able to eliminate some of my potential choices and to pick the Hotel Metro, where we got a family suite with 2 bedrooms- one for Mom & Dad, and one for the teen-age girls. It was roomy, clean, in a great location; they serve a great selection of breakfast items FREE; and the service we got from the staff at the desk was prompt and very friendly. Also had a fabulous meal at the Metro Grill next door. If you're picking between this and something a little cheaper, this is WELL worth what we spent...we'll go back!

8 Thank carla_m001
Tucson, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2005

We checked out of the Hotel Metro this morning (June 1, 2005) thoroughly satisfied with our 2-night stay. We had excellent service from the desk, and the bellman was friendly and helpful, stowing all 12 of our bags while we romped around the city today after checking out. We stayed in a "family room" which had one HUGE room with 2 queen beds, and then another room with 1 queen bed. Our 2 teen boys shared the big room, and hubby & I holed up in the other (with our own door!). Bathroom was lovely, with marble-type tile, extra-large shower, and lovely bath amenities. TVs in both rooms. The location was great...less than 1/2 block to a subway entrance, 2 blocks from the Empire State Building. The only glitch was that the restaurant wasn't linked to the hotel yet, so had to run and get money to pay for breakfast (I skipped the free breakfast this morning because I wanted oatmeal!). The desk told me that they will have things linked up in a couple of weeks to be able to put meals on the hotel tab. The free breakfast was fine -- muffins/pastries, bagels, juice, coffee. I would stay there again. We had no street noise, no rude service, no problems whatsoever. And like I said, our room was huge.

6 Thank wyf4lyf
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2005

I just got back from NYC today and stayed at the Metro Hotel for 5 nights from Tuesday 24th to Sunday 29th May.

I am proud to say that this hotel is absolutely fantastic! I booked a standard room and having read previous reviews that the rooms can be quite small, looking on the flooring plan for the 5th floor, our room was indicated the smallest but it was certainly big enough for me and my partner along with a queen size bed, table & 2 chairs, chest of drawers, TV with 30 channels, fridge and wall closet to hide your suitcases and shopping bags. I would say compared to british standards, this would be a medium sized room to me, probably known as a New York small to them. Our bathroom was quite small but due to the lack of space it was cute and cosy and certainly makes up for it's brilliant spacious shower with glass doors (can fit 2!), basin, toilet, huge mirror, good lighting, hair dryer, air ventilator, fresh towels and nicely decorated in marble decor. I also love the free complimentary breakfast in the morning with a good choice of muffins, bagels, danish pastries, cereals, fruit, yogurts and unlimited juice, tea and coffee. Plus free tea and coffee is also available throughout the day in the executive louge which was an extra bonus.

The hotel is perfectly located in an excellent location, a quick 5 second walk to the 35th subway, minutes from Macy's and within walking distance to all the shops and surrounding cafe's in Herald Square and 10minutes walk to Times Square.

For a budget hotel, I love the art decor, the simplicity, price and location of this hotel, the staff are very friendly and I'll definently be staying at this hotel again.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
louisville, ky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2005

We stayed at the Metro Hotel May 5 -10 2005. It was our first trip to NYC and booked the Metro based on price and location.

The hotel staff was the amoung the best we have experienced. We did not arrive the first night until after 11pm due to a long flight from the west coast. Upon going up to our room we found we needed more hangers (3 ladies traveling together, we had a lot to hang up) we called the front desk and had additional hangers delivered within 30 minutes. (it was almost midnight) Our iron broke during our stay and when we contacted housekeeping we had a new one almost immediately. Needless to say we felt the staff went above and beyond.

The room was good size compared to what I have heard about NYC hotels. The three of us felt very comfortable and had plenty of room for all the shopping bags we accumulated.

The rooftop terrace was a treat, the view of the Empire State Building is awesome.

The subway station is very close and easy to get to, making traveling anywhere within the city a breeze. Buy the multi-day pass and a nice map and explore the city. The locals are very friendly and willing to help if you get lost.

I will stay at the Metro again and will recommend it to all my family and friends.

9 Thank kymiss