“Great Location”

Ranked #82 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great Location”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 5 days early September 2013, buffet breakfast was very good, cannot say a bad word about the hotel in any way. Staff were very pleasant, rooms cleaned every morning, would have no problem returning to this hotel for another 5 days

Room Tip: rooms facing back of hotel are very quiet
1 Thank john123g64

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
hampshire
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This hotel was a very reasonable price. Very impressed with the room and bathroom. Very clean. Breakfast was a cold choice with yogurts and fresh fruit. Plenty of muffins and pastries. Excellent view of the Empire State Building from the rooftop terrace which also has a lovely bar. Very friendly staff willing to give any help. Would definitely stay here again. Coffee and tea both available in room and in the lounge area. Also a nice gesture was a few cans of complimentary soft drink in the fridge in the room.

1 Thank chubbly
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I loved my stay at this hotel, being a 3* I was slightly worried about how clean/nice the hotel would be. I am shocked that it is only classed as a 3*, its beautiful. Our room was very clean. The view from our window wasnt best but that didnt bother me one bit as i had read reviews about windows which viewed over the street being super noisy in the morning. The staff on reception and the guy who opens the doors (not sure what they are called) were amazing, so polite and helpful. Breakfast was good, not cooked but this was fine, I dont enjoy starting my day bloated! There was a wide range of cereals (Lucky Charms being my first choice) and numerous flavors of bagels and muffins. There was also toast, yogurts, pastries and oatmeal with fresh juice and hot drinks.
I dont have a bad word to say about the hotel.
Its lovely
Great location, about 5 min walk from Times Square, obviously one block from Empire State, close to shopping, 1 min to Macys (The Worlds Largest Department Store).
Lovely!
Would certainly 100% return!
Wouldnt go anywhere else!
Thanks Hotel Metro!

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed one night for the first time at Hotel Metro in a double deluxe on the 12th floor. We chose the hotel based on the ratings, location, and relative affordability. The room was very nice, clean, and nicely decorated. The beds were pretty comfortable. There was no coffee maker in the room which was disappointing but this was basically the only thing wrong with the room. There is a rooftop tavern that is nice with a view of the Empire State Building. Parking is a short walk away. Although we did not stay past the 24 hour parking limit, we were told that if we returned from out day trip even a minute afterward, we would be charged for an entire day. They kept our bags for us while we were on our day trip which was very nice. The location is excellent, near Times Square in the heart of the theater district. We would definitely return.

3 Thank Travler12345678
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Several years since I had been to NYC. Last stay was at Waldorf Astoria which is a huge hotel (although wonderful) and opted for something smaller this time so booked Hotel Metro based upon reviews. Stayed 5 nights.

Upon arrival - no doorman or offer of assistance with luggage. We had booked a Premier Double Double. Upon check in we were given keys to Room 1014. The room was very small. It only had 2 drawers in the entire room and that was the nightstand; closet very tiny (with 5 hangers total) as was the bathroom. We called the front desk and asked if they had mistakenly put us in something other than a premier room. They moved us to Room 907 which was significantly bigger. It had a dresser as well as 2 nightstands and the closet and bathroom were both significantly bigger. It was a quiet room even though it was located directly across from the elevator. Advice to anyone else is to certainly ask to see the room before you agree to accept it.

Location of the hotel was good. The subway stops were just about a block away. As others have said, it's only a block to Macy's and very close to the Empire State Building. The hotel borders Little Korea and the Garment District.

The first night we were tired from travel and ate in the hotel's restaurant. The food was good and servers were friendly. Other dinner options we tried were Rosie O'Grady's; Samovar (a Russian Restaurant on 52nd St. that was good); Korean food by the hotel (O.K.).

The hotel's continental breakfast was O.K. The salon would get crowded and cleaning tables was not a priority by the staff during breakfast. You would see a lot of crumbs in areas on the tables. Cereal, muffins, toast, bagels, cream cheese, assorted jellies, juice and yogurt. Enough to tide you over although we did get tired of it and opted to go to breakfast one morning at Ellen's Stardust Diner. Fun spot where the servers are singers. Easy to get to on the subway.

Dealt with a Concierge named Jeff who was very helpful with suggestions about when to visit the Empire State Building (best times are early a.m. or late at night) and gave a couple of restaurant recommendations. He was very friendly and personable and suggested a couple of hop-on/hop-ff bus tours. That was a plus - the negative was interacting with Dean who took Jeff's place and would answer questions asked but not volunteer any info. A world of difference in attitude.

Rooms were clean and the housekeeping was good. We did have to call them one time when at 3:30 p.m. our room was still not made up, but calling worked. We had been out for the day sightseeing and wanted a short rest.

Only negative was an interaction one evening when I had taken my own glass of wine to the rooftop deck and was told by the manager (after I had been up there with the wine for 15 min.) that I couldn't have it there because their own bar was open. Now I had no prior knowledge this was a rule and in fact the night before there was no bar open on the terrace. He told me that my if I wanted to stay on the rooftop deck, I had to get rid of my wine (pour it out) or leave. I told him I didn't want to leave so I would get rid of the wine which I promptly did by drinking it in one gulp. I could tell he was not happy but couldn't say anything. I think he could have been much more tactful in how he approached me and indicated I needed to purchase from them when I finished my own and maybe I wasn't aware of the rule. Instead he was pretty abrupt and it was not the best in a service attitude.

Check out was uneventful although I found it interesting no one asked how we enjoyed our stay. This is typically a standard question. Perhaps it was because everyone was focused on the argument the clerk was having with another guest who was also checking out. The argument went on for quite a while and I was surprised a manager hadn't been summoned at that point.

So would I go back? Not sure - just those little tiny things of attitude/bar experience, late housekeeping/no follow-up on stay - enough that when I go back to NYC I might be willing to try Hotel Elysee next time (our other choice).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cheesi
Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed at the Metro for a week, in a double deluxe room on the sixth floor. The room was spacious and comfortable, had everything we needed, and was cleaned and re-stocked every day. The staff were friendly and helpful. The location was superb - just a short walk to Herald Square station, the Empire State Building and to Macys.

The breakfast arrangements were convenient (but not very classy - paper plates and plastic cuttlery) and we found the all-day tea and coffee facility useful.

We loved the rooftop terrace, with its spectacular view of the Empire State Building.

The hotel itself was very quiet, and there wasn't any traffic noise to speak of. But unfortunately we were kept awake by constant roaring noise from air-conditioning plant on a neighbouring building, but that's not the fault of the hotel.

In summary, we were happy with our stay at the Metro and would certainly recommend the hotel to others.

Room Tip: The air-con which bothered us at night was below us on the next building. We were on the sixth floor...
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

What a fantastic holiday my wife and I had at the Hotel Metro in New York, it's superb location, just off 5th Ave, gave us access to all the main attractions, Empire State Building to name but one.
To make the holiday even better, the staff at the hotel were exceptional, our room was excellent and a good breakfast was readily available. I have already my friends how good the hotel was, which in turn let us have an even better than expected holiday.
I can't praise the hotel enough, just to say thank you, seems insufficient.
Don T.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 4th and could not fault it in anyway.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple