“Excellent base hotel with added extras”
Review of Hotel Metro

Hotel Metro
Ranked #90 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, UK
“Excellent base hotel with added extras”
Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as a couple in May 2013.
The hotel has an Art Deco feel to it & fits in well with the Empire state area. It has 12 floors plus the penthouse which also shares it floor with the gym & the terrace. There is a fire exit style door which seperates the rooms from the public area. There are 2 lifts also.
On arrival the doorman was very friendly and the staff at reception were very efficient. We were checked in within minutes & we're given an upgrade to a penthouse room as it was my husbands 40th birthday.
The room was at the back of the property PH04. It was extremely clean and had a king size bed, air con/heating, TV, fridge with complimentary water & cokes plus a coffee maker.
There was an iron & ironing board as well as an electronic safe which was also free to use.
The bathroom had 1sink with a hairdryer and a pull out shaving/make up mirror. The walk in shower had 3 jets and plenty of clean towels were provided daily as well as complimentary toiletries.
Breakfast is provided at this hotel. On offer were a fresh choice of bagels, muffins, bread, Danish pastries, fresh fruit, cereals, yogurts, butters, cream cheese & jams. Coffee & tea were available as well as orange & apple juice. Everything was self serve and an adequate start to the day.
The location of the hotel was perfect. on leaving the hotel and turning left, it was about a1-2 minute walk to 5th avenue at the end of the road. Turn left here and walk for 15mins & you will find Tiffany's, Saks, The trump tower, The public library, The Rockefeller centre plus more.
Turn right into fifth ave and you will be at The Empire state building within a few minutes, carry on further to find Madison Square & The Flatiron District.
Leaving the hotel & turning right, it was less than a minute walk to the end of the road where you can find the subway. Cross 6th avenue and you will come face to face with Macys. Turn right onto Broadway and walk the 15 minute walks to Time square & 42nd street.
I would definitely recommend this Hotel and will book it again on my return to the city.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank mumsangels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
riverside california
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have stayed at Hotel Metro several times over the last few years. After the first stay, I have been treated very well as a returning guest and always been upgraded to a very nice room and otherwise treated quite nicely. And have told everyone I know to stay at this great hotel. Not so much this time even though I was staying for a week so one would think my business mattered...I am not sure what has happened but doubt I will stay here again especially as a business traveler. But clearly the hotel is geared towards European and Australian leisure travelers, and is busy, so doubt management is marketing the solo business traveler.
Pros - Location. the best location for NYC tourists, hands down. Free wifi that worked very well all week - an addition since my last trip and much appreciated. Rooftop terrace still great. Appreciate the free breakfast. Metro grill is always a great place for a woman traveling alone to sit at the bar and have a glass of wine and dinner and feel safe and comfortable. My room was spotless. This is a clean hotel. Doormen were great.

Cons - when I checked in late on a sunday they told me that the room class that I had paid for wasnt available (a premier king) so they tried to give me a smaller room on the third floor. I finally got an allegedly premier 2 double room on the 11th floor - right across from the elevators with the maids station immediately outside. (room 1107) The room faced a wall yet still managed to be very loud. Air conditioning was so loud and so in need of servicing that I couldnt have it on as white noise to drown out the very loud street and construction noise. I tried to have several conference calls during the week from my room but could not with the AC on- good thing it wasnt too hot. I never heard the elevators but the maids were very loud in the hall outside the room. I understand they need to get people up and out so they can clean the rooms but seriously. On monday am, I checked with the desk clerk and they said I could stay in the room even tho with 2 beds it was a more expensive room - since it was just me and they didnt have the king room I paid for, I am not sure what the issue was. I was so busy with work that I never asked to be moved because I didnt have time to repack and unpack which was my fault. But make sure you know the room level you have booked and try to get a room on the penthouse level which is the quietest.
The refrigerator didnt work and it took several requests to get it switched out.
i also tried to get a fed ex package picked up. I had a preaddressed and prepaid label but was told by the front desk that they had no idea when fed ex would show up. I asked if they could call to schedule a pick up. I was told no, they didnt know how to do that. Seriously? A hotel cannot call fed ex to come pick up a package? In years past, the front desk has been very helpful and always called fed ex for me. I had to call my secretary to call fed ex to come pick up the package. I asked the same desk clerk later in the week if I could schedule a car for an early pick up to go to the airport in the am (as I have every time I have stayed at this hotel) He said no, they would just call me a cab. And so they did but i dont understand the change in procedure.
Neither the resturant nor the roof top bar could bill dinner/drinks to my hotel room. The rooftop bar said they were not allowed to do so and the Metro Grill said their machine was down. Not a big deal but added to the whole lousy experience.

i am sorry that I have to write such a negative review - I have been so pleased with this hotel in the past and have been such a promoter to my friends and business colleagues. I need to find another hotel that appreciates return, business guests.

Room Tip: get a room on the penthouse floor. If you are jet lagged and need to sleep in, dont get the rooms ne...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank attytrav.
Ocean Grove, Australia
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

On arrival to New York after a overnight plane from LA we arrived at Hotel Metro at 10am.

We were very excited to be in New York City for the very first time and being a travel agent I was very excited to see what the city has to offer. Lets just say it did not start out on the right foot.

We went to go check in with a female by the name of Nikita. We were greeted with no eye contact and a miserable looking face. She instantly gave us attitude as if we were bothering her by checking into the hotel. We knew that it was more then likely our room would not be ready as of yet but when told that check in is not till 4pm we were not impressed at all. We were basically told "too bad" and were never given any alternative at all. The doormen on staff was excellent (actually all the doormen were) and took our luggage from us and told us we were able to go have some breakfast in the hotel and sit in there.
After sitting down for some breakfast and walking to macys we were so exhausted we went back to Nikita and said that we really need a room and If any was available can we please have it. She continued to huff and puff and roll her eyes like our request was so inconvenient for her. All she said under her breath was that it will be ready at 12.
After waiting in the lobby at 12 the doormen came upto us and said our room was ready (isn't that the receptionist job)
We were never advised of breakfast time, where our room was, anything about the hotel at all. When we asked Nikita again about the wifi we were left with a very disrupt "it's in your room".
Throughout the week we were there we were never greeted with a friendly hello or anything by the reception staff. They all really need to get a course in customer service or realize that they work in a customer facing job and need to at least smile :)

All in all the hotel room was okay. Breakfast was great. Room was quiet. We were at the back of the hotel so no view but we didn't care because it was quiet. We requested a high level room but got level 3 but that didn't matter.

I would not stay here again and would not recommend this hotel to my clients. The customer service of some of the reception staff needs to improve a lot !!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Jenna865
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Just returned from a 5 day trip to New York. It was the first time for us and we were delighted with the Metro. It's in a really good location, having a drink on the roof top bar with the Empire State building towering over you is amazing. Hotel Metro is a hotel with charming character and lovely staff. Breakfast is plentiful and very nice. Rooms spotless and very comfortable. Would be happy to recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: We were on the 11th floor and not bad but you are in New York so be realistic.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth186356
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We chose this Hotel after searching endlessly through the abundance of Hotels available in New York. We felt that it was well located (across the road from Macy's and a stones-throw away from the Empire State Building). We had flown in from Newark Airport and the train link from there to New York Penn Station was exceptionally easy to use and cost just $12.50 per person (one way).

The train was spacious, clean and well maintained and the journey (approx 30-40 minutes) went very quickly. The train doesn't have storage shelves for luggage like in the UK but there are overhead shelves instead which can be slightly inconvenient if you have large luggage but there are some seats which have more leg room so you could stand the cases up by you. These seats are located close to the doors so try to secure one of these if necessary.

From Penn Station, we walked to our Hotel having obtained a google map beforehand. I can confirm that this was extremely accurate and we found our Hotel straight away. The Hotel is located down a side-street off of one of the main roads and when we went, there were road-works going on outside however, we were advised by our Travel Agent that there are strict regulations in place as to when work can be done and the noise never effected us throughout our stay as we always went out straight after breakfast and returned much later at night - well if you're in New York, why would you stay in?!?!?!

The Hotel has a lovely Art Deco style feel with a large, light and airy lobby. The reception desk is located just as you come in the door and the welcome we received was warm and very friendly. There is plenty of seating in the lobby so if there should be a queue you can take a seat while waiting and across the lobby is the entrance to the breakfast room where tea/coffee/decaf coffee/hot water is readily available throughout the day for guests to help themselves so if you need refreshment during your stay, this is available. There are also toilets off of the side of the lobby which are extremely clean and well maintained! Also, the Hotel has an amazing roof-top terrace with a bar and plenty of outdoor seating (some of it under red arched awnings which you can see from the top of the Empire State building should you decide to go up!!) and the terrace offers fantastic views of the Empire State Building!

Our room was situated on the 5th floor above the main entrance to the Hotel and overlooking the side-street. As you are in the heart of New York, you should expect traffic noise but we didn't find it bad at all and it never interrupted our sleep during our stay.

There were 2 large double beds in our room (we were travelling as a party of 3 adults), a TV, chest of drawers, wardrobe/cupboard, iron, ironing board, clothes airer, hairdryer (a good one so you wouldn't need to bring one from home), bedside table and alarm clock, safe, fridge, a good air conditioning unit and an armchair. Despite having all of this, there was still plenty of room to move around and we didn't feel cramped at all. Also, we sometimes find that when more than 2 people share a room, you lack towels/pillows but this wasn't the case and we had more than enough! The bathroom is well equipped with complimentary toiletries (there's not many though so I would bring your own), a sewing kit and beauty kit and our room had a shower. I think that the only thing that stops this Hotel having a higher star rating is the bathroom as it was a little dated but having said that, it was fully functional, clean and tidy and had a lovely powerful shower! Throughout our stay, our room was kept immaculately clean by the Hotel Maids who clearly take pride in their work.

Breakfast is served from 6.30am and is described as continental and as expected it did feature the usual choices, however, we all felt that the quality, variety and taste was superior to what we had experienced in other Hotels. There was tea/coffee/decaf coffee/apple and orange juice, a variety of yogurts, a wide selection of cereal, 3 or 4 different flavour bagels and spreads, fresh fruit, croissants, and about 8 different flavour muffins which looked handmade and tasted divine - I can personally recommend the lemon one!!

There isn't a shop in this Hotel so if you need any postcards/stamps/souvenirs/water/food etc, you will need to purchase these elsewhere but as long as you affix stamps to your postcards, reception will happily post them on your behalf.

On our penultimate day, we decided that even though we could have returned to the airport the same way we came (as the trains start running at approx 5am), as it was a weekday and the thought of rush hour commuters and us with suitcases didn't appeal. Therefore, we booked an airport transfer with the concierge who was located in the lobby. It cost $25 per person but it ensured a hassle-free return to the airport - and meant that we could have longer in bed before our long journey home!!

I would highly recommend this Hotel to anyone and would definitely stay here again without considering anywhere else - if you decide to stay here - you will feel the same!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank KMAnonymous
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Hi All,
First of all, I am not a person who complains, and to be honest this is the first time i have EVER written a report about an hotel but felt, I should let you know just how bad an experience we had.

On arival.....no room ready but ok, it was befor the 4pm deadline, so acceptable I suppose. I went with my partner and her sister but when I saw our room, I was devestated, as it was extremely small, looked onto a wall, and no wardrobe.

I went to reception and spoke to the female hotel manager who was less than helpful, who said that there was no other rooms available and she could upgrade me for 35 dollers, I said NO PROBLEM, let's do it, as 35 dollers seemed nothing to get our holiday off to a flying start.

Then she said, it was plus tax, and it was actually 35 dollers PER DAY, and not per week, as she originally led me to believe. I was very tired, very frustrated, and unhappy but she wouldn't budge, I begged her to help but all she could do was offer me alterantive accomodation but it would cost me an extra 200 dollers to buy some peace of mind.

She stressed that it wasn't the first time this had happened, and said it was down to BA, as they had booked the rooms on our behalf, nevertheless, we had to pay the 200 Dollers, and TRY to get it back from B.A.

The next day, we got up early to explore New York, and left our room for the maid to enter and clean, on our arrival back in the hotel later in the day, we found that our door had been left open with all our money and belongings in the room, including passports, tavellers cheques, an ipad, and our passports had been left for anyone to help themselves to!........we wer'e told she had forgotton to lock the door, and recieved an opology.

We spoke to two old ladies, who had booked a room with two large beds. This booking had been made several months before but when they arived, they could not be accomodated, and instead had to share a bed. The wer'e in tears, as they wer'e in their 70's.

What a shambles! ..... Sorry Metro....change your staff, and get your act together!

Regards,
Ray S.

Oh dear, this really was an awful hotel!....I am not a crank, and will NEVER go back again, just thought you should all know.

Room Tip: Make sure your room doesn't look onto a wall, also check out the extremey noisy air con. On a pl...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Raystr
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is our 5th visit to NY City but the first stay at Hotel Metro and the weather was definitely on our side.
On arriving we were welcomed by the doorman and this was followed by a nice welcome from the reception staff. Our room was on the 7th floor, a small double which we were expecting. Although on the small side it had everything we needed and a really big shower in the bathroom and a very comfortable double bed. An added bonus for both ladies and gentlemen was the large magnifying mirror in the bathroom wonderful I wish more hotels had them such an easy and useful addition. It was kept spotlessly clean.
The complimentary continental breakfast is from 7am till 11am but tea and coffee is complimentary all day and night. The breakfast was very good with bagels, muffins, Danish's, fresh fruit, two toasters, excellent orange juice and apple juice and you could eat as much as you liked. The hotel has a bar that serves lunch and dinner but we didn't use it. We did eat at the Chinese restaurant in the evening. It is very near the hotel and the food is excellent. We also had lunch at Juniors at Grand Central Station.
The hotel's location was very good and central to all the main attractions. This time round we did the Guggenheim and a trip on the Circle Line boat around Manhattan island which was fabulous and the weather really made it even more special.
If you want advice about trips speak with Jeff on the excursion desk he is really good and genuine and doesn't try and talk you into anything. He helped us a lot with advice about going on the subways and buses as well as sorting out our lovely trip on the Circle Line boat.
All in all we had a wonderful time and as you can guess we really love New York but I think this may be our last visit especially as its our 5th visit but who knows. We would highly recommend this hotel it has everything you will need for a great time in New York, enjoy.

Room Tip: If you can choose a room on a higher floor as there is quite a lot of noise from the road outside th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple