“Nicely located, decently priced, could be cleaner”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue
Ranked #244 of 468 Hotels in New York City
California
“Nicely located, decently priced, could be cleaner”
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

The best features of this hotel are its Midtown East location and non-microscopic rooms. Compared to similarly-priced New York chains, the hotel room actually had space to move around, along with good-sized closets.

The room could have been cleaner, however. The sink never got a good scrubbing and I suspect the carpet was not vacuumed during our four-night stay. Walking around barefoot was disconcerting.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Korean first
Carlisle, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 12, 2014

OK, I'll give this hotel credit for being in a great location. It was clean. But that's it. Small-ish average room otherwise. No way to keep anything cold. No water. I've stayed in other, better, convenient midtown hotels. And particularly, ones with a far better idea of customer service.

I put the do not disturb sign on the door (as is my habit in every hotel I visit) so that the room would not be made up. Came back after a day out, sign was not on the doorknob, room was made up. I hate when that happens, I really do. I went down to the lobby to complain. (And I don't hesitate to voice my opinions when I feel that some experience I'm paying for could have gone differently-- almost always with a much better response from staff.) Got a real 'attitude' from the manager--immediately ready to argue, no 'sorry that happened ma'am'--not at all. Instead he said he'd check with the housekeeper the next day. So he's going to tell me that the housekeeper said she didn't see the sign? I don't really care what the housekeeper says, no one's on trial. But after that encounter, I sure do feel like I don't ever want to encounter Marriott Courtyard staff again, if that's the response. I looked at the other reviews--- I don't know who those other managers were that responded to problems so politely, but it wasn't anyone I ran into I'm staying here with points. I stay in hotels a lot, I have a choice. Anyone looking at this hotel should understand that it's 'the location' you're getting---don't expect much else.

2 Thank CarTRVLR
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed April 9, 2014

This hotel is amazing! The location is perfect, right across from the NY Public Library, a few blocks from Times Square, walking distance to Central Park and a very short distance to Grand Central Station. The front desk staff was so incredibly friendly and helpful. They arranged for a car service back to the airport on our way home. They always greeted you when you walked in the door, holding the door for you and once hailing us a cab. Our key didn't work once when we got back to the room. Housekeeping called down to the front desk for us and the engineer was up within 3 minutes (that's a 23 floor elevator ride!) to change the battery in our lock and make 100% sure everything was working. The room was great too! We had a Corner King for 3 people. Plenty of room with the pull out bed. It was very clean. We left a note asking for an additional coffee since there were 3 coffee-needers with us and housekeeping took this even a step farther making sure we had extra towels and supplies for 3. I do travel a bit and have stayed in a number hotels at all different levels but this was one of the most enjoyable stays. I HIGHLY recommend the Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue.

Room Tip: Corner King with sofabed had plenty of room for 3 with enough space to walk around the pull-out bed.
2 Thank sglover11
Lewis Center, Ohio
Reviewed April 7, 2014

The location is great. It is far enough away from Times Square that you can get some sleep but only about 6 blocks away if you want to go there and have dinner. It is also within walking distance of the Empire State Building and Grand Central Station.

Parking was about $50 per night. We just left our car in the garage until we were ready to leave.

The hotel room was clean but small. You can request a refrigerator to be brought to your room for no additional charge.

There is a street vendor closeby that offers bagels, doughnuts, fruit and muffins in the morning. Most of the restaurants in this area had limited seating.

If you need to check out before you are ready to leave the city, the doorman can put your things in storage for you for a few hours.

Rates were reasonable for NYC.

No pool is available.

2 Thank Magnolia001
Victor, New York
Reviewed April 2, 2014

The staff is great! The location is very convenient to everything in the midtown area and since it is right in the middle by 5th avenue it is easy access to west or east side attractions and businesses. Rates are usually very reasonable. Did I mention the staff treats you with respect and kindness! I recommend this place to all my friends.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank RichP28
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed March 31, 2014

It is a good hotel in a great location with fairly reasonable prices. We were able to walk to a lot of theater and, of course, Times Square, Grand Central and other great places are nearby. We also had plenty of space for a NYC hotel room.

However, they still need some work. When I checked in the room was very hot and they sent up the engineer. He explained that the thermostat was not communicating with the heat/air unit. He was able to fix it, but by the second day, the unit in the other room had the same problem. The rooms need more lighting. I could leave the shade open but then everyone in the building across the street could look right into the room. (The room did not have any drapes. It just had blackout shades.) The second TV remote was not working and they replaced it quickly. The staff might be 'NY City' friendly. I asked at the front desk the best way to get a cab and was told to 'walk to the corner.' I thought the front desk clerk might suggest she would call one. When I arrived, I watched the bellhop put out his hand hoping for a tip and looking disgusted as departing guest declined to offer one. Generally, everyone was cheerful but they have ways to go before it meets typical Courtyard standards.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank planner_221
Courtyard5thAve, General Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us as it is imperative to our growth as an operation. I sincerely apologize for the mechanical errors you encountered as I'm sure they were inconveniences you did not anticipate. I also apologize for the attitude of our front desk and bellstaff. It should have been explained that yellow cabs are not available for reservations or calling. NYC Yellow Cabs may only be "hailed down" and at busy times this can be difficult for one bellman trying to assist multiples guests at once. Regardless of the situation, I apologize if you felt their attitude was anything less than hospitable. Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope you will give our hotel another chance during your next trip to NYC. If you do anticipate your plans bringing you back to our area, please don't hesitate to contact me directly for reservations assistance. Thank you again - Justin Scarpa, General Manager. justin.scarpa@marriott.com
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We enjoyed our girl's trip and stay at this Courtyard Marriott. While the rooms were small for four ladies, our hotel was in a great location to shop and site see. A shuttle to the airport was only a couple blocks away. The staff was friendly, helpful, and willing to answer all our questions. A great convenience store was right next door with delicious bagels.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Hi Stephanie! Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. I'm happy to hear that your group enjoyed your stay and had a nice time in NYC. We'd love to see you again during your next trip! Best wishes - Justin Scarpa, General Manager. justin.scarpa@marriott.com