“Good Mid-town Hotel”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue
Ranked #253 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is a well-located midtown hotel with reasonable pricing and provides quite adequate sleeping space. The rooms are small but provide what is necessary for a New York stay. If you reserve a particlar type of room, be sure to confirm that at check-in as I reserved a King, and got a double. My only criticism of the room is that the towels are very thin and small. I expected better from a Marriott property.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor for more quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Harry L
Courtyard5thAve, Front Office Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us! I am pleased your found our hotel convenient and comfortable for your time in NYC! You will also be happy to know that we have outfitted the hotel with brand new towels :) Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again! - Julie

Reviewed March 4, 2013

It's really 2.5 stars.
Look I am a business traveler and have gold/silver level with Starwood, Hyatt, and Mariott. I stay in Ritz Carlton's JW Marriotts and luxury resorts, but I also happily stay in Courtyard's and Hyatt Place's.
Also like Hilton Garden Inn's for biz.
This is my first Courtyard in a long time and it blows.

I will start with the good points:
- location, location, location
- clean comfortable room
- friendly staff

Now the bad points:
- way over priced for what you get, as in rip off (really!)
- no lobby
- Free Internet sucks (using my tether from my iphone to write this)
- Paid Internet did not work (I did not want to sit on phone with tech guy for 10 min)
- not even a fridge in the room
- no waters in the room
- tiny room, even for NYC standards
- only two elevators (oh, and for this trip I get a note that says allow for a 20 min delay in the AM because only one vator will be working..,! Wow, 20 min extra? I stayed here bed it's close to my client...)
- loud (I can hear neighbors and street)

I won't stay hear again and I already look to see if I can move which I may to a different hotel. We will see.

Signed disappointed Marriott Silver in NYC!

Room Tip: Um. They did offer to bring a fridge to my room... No pantry. No room service. Nada.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank wineguysf

While I thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your stay with us, I am quite disappointed you found your stay to be so thoroughly unenjoyable. Instead of addressing each bullet point individually, I would love an opportunity to speak with you personally. If you would like, please ask for me at (201) 529-5200. Thank you - Julie

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed in here in Feb 2013 only for three days. When we first arrived they greeted us warmly and then gave my two children a welcome bag of snack food and two teddy bears! That was incredibly thoughtful because we all know the kids need that extra snack while traveling for so long to get to the destination. The teddy bears were small but sweet. The kids played with them in the room the entire visit.
As far as location and cost- I thought it was perfect. It was only two streets over and two or three up to Grand central and about 4 streets over and 4 up to Time's Square. We walked around easily here. Also it's very close to Bryant park were you can ice skate and eat some great food. The NYC library is only one block away from the this hotel as well. Plus the subway is at the same corner. My kids who are 7 and 9 did walk from 5th street and 40th all the way up to Central Park at 59th and 5th. There are plenty of stores to stop at on the way to breakup the walk for little feet!
The hotel was quite, clean and fair size. We were on Floor 17 and enjoyed a peaceful sleep. The staff again was super nice and helpful. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Shannon D

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such a lovely review! Our littlest guests are some of the most important so I am so pleased your kids enjoyed themselves at our hotel! You seem to have gathered a very accurate impression of our incredible location - so I thank you for sharing that with our TripAdvisor readers! I hope you and your family return to our hotel for future stays in NYC! - Julie

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I had a girlfriend come in from california and living in nyc all my life born and raised in brooklyn .. Being in manhattan daily this hotel I booked on the spot the night person kenneth was polite helpful as well as all the staff the room was very clean for the price little small but its nyc .. Location is amazing and being in manhattan daily that block is quiet great comfortable location for the hotel .. It made a great impression on my girlfriend and she is a girl that does not get comfortable anywhere easy .. I will definality come back and stay again thank you for the amazing service and making our stay relaxed and comfortable ...

• Stayed: February 2013

What a fantastic review you have provided us! I will be sure to notify Kenneth that his efforts made an impression. Our staff strives to provide our guests the very best service so I am very pleased you found our team to be so friendly. We love welcoming local New Yorkers and hope you choose us again for a "stay-cation" next time you're in Manhattan! Best - Julie

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights for a getaway trip. Room was actually quite spacious for NYC, but I'm not sure if that was because I have platinum on Marriott. Room was clean. Staff in lobby was good, though one of the bellmen was kind of creepy. Not much in terms of amenities, but it's NYC and there is quite a bit nearby. The deli next door in particular had an excellent breakfast and lunch, and places to sit. Drugstore right around the corner. Times Square within an easy walk, but you don't feel right in the middle of it. There's another Courtyard about a block and a half away that looked like it might be newer and more spacious, but this did the trick as a place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback of your stay with us. I am disappointed we did not beat the "just ok" title, but I thank you for providing us with this review to improve our services. I am pleased our staff and location were agreeable with your stay with us, however, and I hope you do return again in the future. Best - Julie

Reviewed February 11, 2013

High price for a small room, but this is Manhattan and that was to be expected. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. The staff was very gracious and accommodating. I always received a helpful answer or suggestion to every inquiry. Prior to my arrival I received an email from the general manager containing useful suggestions and information on the area(s) nearby the hotel. After my stay I received a follow-up email also. The location was convenient to Times Square, Grand Central and many other attractions. Never had a long wait for an elevator even though we had a high floor room. This has been problematic in many other hotels.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a precise review of our hotel! Clean, comfortable, accommodating and convenient are all descriptors we are happy to hear. I am happy you found Justin's emails helpful as well! We hope to see you upon your next trip to NYC! - Julie

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I am a business traveler and stay here about once a month because it is near the client I see in NYC. Otherwise, I would not stay here. The rooms are very tiny, old, very tired furniture and draperies, tiny bathrooms, slow internet, thin walls, (noisy), etc. Last week I was upgraded to a suite, so that was the equivalent of 2 rooms, but not very impressive. I noticed that the door to an adjoining room was not locked, so tried to lock it and found it broken. Fortunately, although it was 9 pm on Sunday, the front desk sent an engineer right up and he fixed it. An hour later, the heater wasn't working and he came up again right away and said the sensor was malfunctioning. Lucky for me, I like to sleep in the cold, so I just asked him to turn it off, which he did. I have been here often when one of the two elevators was out of order and there is a really LONG wait. I also have been there when both elevators were out and walked up and down from floors in the 20s. Long walk when you have to take your luggage and check out. I was not offered any compensation or assistance when the elevators were broken. I am a 50-something female, so ugh is all I could say. This Courtyard has no restaurant, but there is a deli next door and a restaurant on the other side with a bar that has an entrance directly into the Courtyard, but again, they are not associated. I very much like the Bellman -- he has always been very helpful handling my luggage, storing it for me, and arranging taxis or limos to the airport. Front Desk staff is also very polite and professional. But otherwise, this is quite a down-market Courtyard. More like a Days Inn, I would say.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sjw11

Thank you for taking the time to review your frequent stays with us! While I am disappointed to see that you are not thrilled with your experiences here, I thank you for providing us with such valuable feedback. If you wouldn't mind, I would love a chance to speak with you personally about your impressions of the hotel, especially coming from a repeat and frequent guest. My email address is julie.v.kennedy@marriott.com and I look forward to hearing from you! Best - Julie