“Gershwin” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #293 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Rose Bay
“Gershwin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

The Gershwin is not pretty on the outside but our room was very nice. It is ideally located and the staff were all very helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel for people visiting NYC. The only downside was we had to go home!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Paul T
GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Paul T,
We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location and highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentive staff. Every trip comes to an end, but we hope you get to visit us again very soon!
Director of Sales and Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cleburne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Overall we were very happy with our stay. The only improvements that could be made are to put a coffee maker in the room, if not provide coffee in the lobby. and have a mini fridge with a freezer. The fridge itself want very cold and was not adjustable

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars

1 Thank Sara B
GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear Sara B.,
We are glad you were satisfied with our Hotel. We are excited to let you know that part of the project is to have a full service restaurant & bar, as well as room reservice. I thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The staff was friendly and professional. I love old non-corporate type hotels and this was perfect. The hotel is being renovated so that may be an issue for some, but it was fine with me. Everyone I encountered was great.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Scott H.,
I am delighted you were impressed with The Gershwin Hotel. I highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly staff. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I got a nice deal for my 8-day stay and I had a great experience. The staff is very pleasant and professional. The room on the 10th floor was cozy with a Queen-sized bed, a view of the city, a fridge, free WiFi and a large flat-screen TV. I have a few complaints:

• The maids don't clean behind the bed. I misplaced something and while I was looking for it, I had the misfortune of seeing the dust bunnies behind the bed-frame. Not sanitary at all. Make sure to tell them to clean there if you find your maid in the hallway.

• The room isn't stocked with an iron and board. You have to ask for them. Do it on your first day so you don't get surprised while you're in a rush like I was.

• The toilet chain broke off and they had to someone to fix it on two different occasions. Despite that, I was never convinced that it was actually fixed.

• There was a lot of construction which made the hotel look far worse than it really was. I did not hear the construction, nor was it a real bother. The only issue is that using the stairs means going through construction area on 3 different floors, which is guaranteed to dust or dirty up your clothes. And believe me, you'll have the urge to go through those stairs anyway, because there is only 1 elevator for guests and it is ridiculously slow. You can spend up to 10 minutes waiting for it.

Despite all that, I'll give the hotel 4 stars. I got it at a really good price and those few hiccups didn't ruin my stay in the least. The hotel is at a good location and it was a very cozy stay. The busted toilet or slow elevator didn't ruin my vacation in the least.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor! The floors are being renovated from top to bottom, so if you get a higher room...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Newbourne,
I am delighted you were impressed with The Gershwin Hotel. We highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentive staff. We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. We are really excited to let you know that we are addressing all this issues with the ongoing restoration, we are confident you will be satisfied with the end result. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed Fri-Tues...staff very pleasant, professional and helpful especially Arielle and Hicham, they could not do enough for us! Great location new rooms well done, no bar or restaurant but plenty nearby. Would stay again...Richard

Room Tip: Ask for newly remodeled room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Richard C.,
I am delighted you were impressed with The Gershwin Hotel. I highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentive staff.
I'm pleased to announce that all our rooms are now fully renovated!
Zeeland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed for 2 weeks in July. The location for what we needed was spot on. Staff is very caring and kind. If you are a light sleeper don't get a room looking over 27th, as early risers it was OK to us.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Mary E,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience al the Gershwin Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Terruggia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

2 persons, one week. Perfect position, quite, nice and efficient personnel. Room not big but new and very clean. It is located in crowded area, near Union square, nice park. Perfect assistance before our arrival.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Dear Roberto M.,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Gershwin Hotel. We highly value your acknowledgement of our service. We are very excited with the on-going transformation. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.