“Comfortable but very very small close to attractions” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Evelyn

The Evelyn
Ranked #294 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Guatemala
“Comfortable but very very small close to attractions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

We asked for a 2 single and 1 Queen/king bedroom we needed 3 beds in 2 private spaces it was as asked and also they have a shared room area for budget travelers and rent safety deposit boxes. Unless you want to pay 400.00 USD a night you aren't gonna get a big room in NYC its quit expensive. But we had everything we needed for a 3 night stay. You never spend time at the hotel anyways Because NYC is to enjoy all day you never get bored.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

The room was adequate. Nothing fancy, but clean with a beautiful bed. The staff was also very friendly and helpful. I'd stay here again for a night or two. Since you're in Manhattan you won't be in your room much anyway and this place was very close to the action!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Linkoping, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

Good hotel with a great location near the Empire State Building, and only 10 minutes walking from Time Square.

Nearest MTA station is 28th street wihich only took 2 minutes walking. We would choose this hotel again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

This hotel is in a great location for seeing the sights of New York. A stone's throw away from the Flatiron building and Madison Square we found it perfect for sightseeing. It is in need of a little renovation and modernisation - which they are currently undertaking which makes it a little noisy but I was so tired from looking around the city I barely noticed. The windows are not double glazed which does make the outside noise a bit more prominent but I can't complain about the sleep I had - the bed was very comfortable. My only real complaint was about the bathroom - in particular the shower which was very difficult to use as the head was non-adjustable and made it very difficult to be in it without getting my hair wet every time. The best point about the hotel though was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff - they really did go out of their way to help us when we were leaving - booking us a yellow taxi so we wouldn't have to pay extra for the hotel black cab and even holding luggage of our friends who were not staying in the hotel so we could go for dinner before we left. Thanks :-) Would certainly stay here again - the price was right and we had an enjoyable time

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear bagelobagel,
I am delighted you were impressed with The Gershwin Hotel. We highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentiveness staff. We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. Thank you for pointing out the shower and windows, we are in the process of correcting these issues. We are truly excited with the on-going transformation; we are changing to double pane windows and replacing the shower heads with rain showers. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay. I thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
The Gershwin Hotel
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

Take notice that the hotel is currently under extensive renovations (lift, top floor, common area). This is disturbing and takes away from the overall experience. The staff is great, but for the price of NYC hotels, one would expect not to inhabit a construction zone. I'm sure that the hotel will get back to standard once the works are finished, but it should offer a bigger price discount to accommodate its state.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

1 Thank Marc G
GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Marc G,
We highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentive staff and we deeply apologize for the disturbances. I know an apology doesn't change such an uncomfortable experience, we can only hope you give us an opportunity to make it up to you. We are very excited with the on-going transformation at The Gershwin Hotel. I'm confident you will be satisfied with the end result. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay in one of our restored rooms.
Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

Under renovation and did not inform us prior to arrival. Elevators rickety, slow & not clean. Room was barren. Bathroom was a disaster, there was mold or mildew & chipped paint. I would never recommend this hotel or ever stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Dear msschein,
I profusely apologize for lack of communication on our part. I know an apology doesn't change such an uncomfortable experience and we are aware our rooms and hotel are in need of updating. We are actually in the process of restoring both. We are very excited with the on-going transformation at The Gershwin Hotel. I'm confident you will be satisfied with the end result. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay in one of our restored rooms. It would be a pleasure to extend a friends and family rate. Please feel free to contact me directly.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

Comfy bed. Small room and bath. Clean. Good rate. Extremely loud noise from renovation across the street that included work trucks with booming generators until midnight each night, returning at 6 am. Paper thin windows in room made it worse.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GershwinManagement, General Manager at The Evelyn, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Ms.Carly C,

We highly value your comments. I apologize for the street noise you encountered. We are truly excited with the on-going transformation at The Gershwin. I'm confident you will be satisfied with our restoration and I'm thrilled to announce we will be installing sound proof windows. I do hope you were pleased with our hotel's central location. As you may have experienced, the Empire State Building and the Flat Iron district are minutes away. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay in one of our restored rooms. I thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts.

If I can provide additional information I'm at your service. Please contact me directly at jagosto@gershwinhotel.com or at 646.507.5400.
John David Agosto