“Excellent Staff Service”
Review of The Evelyn

The Evelyn
Ranked #287 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 28, 2014

The staff was fantastic in their kindness and their willingness to assist me in any way possible. They took interest in my appointments to ensure that I had correct directions to get to my destination on time. My car was handled very well... they had it waiting for me and someone stood outside to watch over it while I checked out. Overall, they were thoughtful in their assistance to my needs...highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Evelyn

Reviewed March 28, 2014

This hotel is undergoing major renovations which appears long overdue. I stayed for two nights last weekend and although there was no work going on the hotel was a bit of a mess. Work started at 6.30 on Monday morning with loud crashing and banging on the floor above. Nil chance of sleeping through the noise. Room was old and outdated. Bathroom was a debacle there was a scaffolding support holding up an area of the roof. The bathroom window was sealed by plastic and tape. The heater in the room intermittently made a loud hissing noise throughout the night. Was extremely outdated and not up to scratch. Workman are using the main lift and a ride up and down a few floors can take up to 20 mins. One of the few positives were the staff who were all very helpful under trying conditions. The location if the hotel is also good. I was however miffed upon checkout when I was asked how our stay was. I responded honestly but politely and informed staff that the hotel was not up to standard and that our room was less than acceptable. Staff agreed and advised I should have contacted the manager. My response was if you know that the room is not up to standard why put people in it. I got no response. We were in New York to meet up with some locals and they all laughed when we told where were staying. The hotel appeared modestly priced but after staying it is way over priced. Avoid this hotel until renovations are completed.

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank Scoshane
GershwinManagement, General Manager at The Evelyn, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear Scoshane,

We highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentiveness staff. We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. As you may have expierienced, the Empire State Building and the Flat Iron district are minutes away. Please accept my sincerest apologies. I know an apology doesn't change such an uncomfortable experience. I’m aware we are currently experiencing challenges but we are truly excited with the on-going transformation at The Gershwin. I'm confident you will be satisfied with end result. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay in one of our restored rooms. I do hope you will allow me to make this up to you and I thank you for taking the time to post a review.

If I can provide additional information I'm at your service. Please contact me directly at jagosto@gershwinhotel.com or at 646.507.5400.

John David Agosto
The Gershwin Hotel

Reviewed March 25, 2014

This hip little hotel had clean, cozy rooms available at a very nice price. Even though it was a budget affair, the staff treated me like I was the Queen of the World and they were working at the St. Regis. I got excellent service. It's on a small street between the edge of Murray Hill and 5th Avenue, so everything was available, and I was close to the excitement of Manhattan, but I felt safe and cozy in this groovy hotel. Very few amenities, but for someone who came to Manhattan to see Manhattan, and not just spend all day in a hotel room, it was perfect, and the service was amazing.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night in Manhattan and I'm glad it was here. They are doing renovations, but it's a great value. Our room faced the street, and surprise, New York streets are noisy! Duh! I didn't hear any construction noise. Clean, warm, small, Manhattan-sized room within easy walking distance of lots of sites, food, nightlife and NY culture. I'll be back! (PS: queen size beds were great and tough to find w/I paying a huge price.) BONUS - the staff were friendly, professional, accommodating and aimed to please!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Poor advertising, the rooms are nothing like the pictures seen on the website. This is a very old building, we were upgraded to a suite which was just a bigger older room. The staff were very helpful and polite but we ended up checking out after one night.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steven O
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Had problems with heat first day, no hot water second or third day. I was told boiler being worked on and they were draining water from boiler. Also, bed a little too soft. But I appreciated all the staff and cleaning service. They were all friendly and very helpful. Great team!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I love you guys! The hotel is perfect, the vibe and the charm it has is great! I ope to see you again in a near future! Thank you for everyting, and say Hi to Guadalupe! You know who she is! At least, everytime she cleaned my room she lefted an empty envelope by the bed side! Thank you for everything!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple