“You won't sleep”
Review of The Evelyn

The Evelyn
Ranked #287 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 25, 2013

From the outside the hotel looks great and has an excellent location. However, don't expect to sleep much. Walls are paper thin and you will be able to hear the noises coming from your next door neighbor and from all the people coming out of the elevator even if you are not close to it.
You will have to wait a while before the elevator arrives. Very old building, so you can imagine how the elevator is.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gabyx1
Write a ReviewReviews (2,181)

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My mum and I shared a room for 3 nights a few weeks ago on holiday. As we walked in my first impression of the place was that it was dull, run down and not very inviting! However, the staff were very friendly and helpful and gave us a lot of information! The hallways by the rooms were very shabby and run down looking but that didn't matter to me as we weren't going to be sleeping or living in them for the 3 nights! The rooms were very basic, clean and comfortable, although not a lot of space was provided! Thank god It was only my mum and I! Everything about the en suite was pleasant, clean and satisfactory! I can't say enough about the beds, they were the comfiest beds I have ever slept in and I would sleep in them again in a heartbeat!! The food in the little cafe was beautiful!! All the type of food on offer was healthy, ideal and would cater for nearly anyone's needs!! Quite simple but amazing! Would happily stay in that hotel again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2013

First impressions were a bit daunting. Reception area and hallways are very run down. However the room, though quite small with somewhat shabby furniture , was freshly painted, bed was clean and bathroom newly tiled. There was nowhere in the bathroom to put toiletries although it was quite spacious. The bath is very high and would make it difficult for an infirm or very short person to climb into to shower. We spent a week there and got used to the facilities. Location is just off 5th Avenue and is within walking distance to Metro and restaurants. Essen restaurant across road and down a bit is recommended for breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I found this location to be great... quick walk north to Times Square or South to Flatiron. It's a little away from the action but close enough. I was traveling for business but it wouldn't have mattered because it's NYC- who wants to spend time in a hotel when there is SO much cool stuff to do? The room was simple but just what I needed. The bed was fantastic!! Best bed EVER in a hotel and just what I really needed after my long days.
I would stay here again, it's pricy but it's NYC so that's expected.

Room Tip: I was on the 3rd floor and the elevator is a little slow so I was able to take the stairs.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Seven of us stayed in this hotel. We had booked two suites. However, their definition of a suite isn't quite the same as mine. We had two rooms in each "suite" but no area for sitting together.There were two bedrooms. One had a desk and a small fridge. The other had a dresser and small table. We had a total of 2 chairs. Luckily we didn't spend a lot of time there .In the pictures the hotel looked really funky with cool artwork and furniture, but I never saw any art.

It is an older hotel and was clean but needed some sprucing up. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. We found it expensive for what we got, especially for the area. Is a little removed from the action.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We went for a long weekend in June, in short, we would stay there again.

Pros:
New York charm
Valet parking
Clean rooms
Near restaurants
Walking distance to Time Square
Good, friendly staff
Quiet

Cons:
Not the fastest elevator (old building)
Not much of a view (could be limited to our room, however)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The best thing about the Gershwin was its location. It's a 10/15 minute walk to Times Square and transport links are good. The rooms are fairly simple, however there is WiFi access in the rooms, air con, a television and a safety deposit box, which is free to use.

Before arriving, I had the impression that it was something of a boutique hotel, however it would be very generous to call this hotel boutique. I believe that the hotel was fairly priced in comparison to other hotels in New York, and I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple