“Best inexpensive hotel in NYC”

The Hotel @ New York City
Ranked #321 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 3, 2009

I stayed at the Ramada Eastside Inn for 2 weekend nights when I was in NYC to visit some friends. For the price, it's hard to find a better place. (I travel to NYC several times a year and have stayed a many different hotels.) I booked through Priceline and paid $125 a night. The hotel is clean, modern and the staff was friendly. Yes, the rooms are small but this is NYC - - space is at a premium. The rooms had flat screen TVs, comfortable beds, private baths, etc. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice inexpensive hotel option in NYC.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
applecorehotelsstaff, Myriam from Apple Core Hotels at The Hotel @ New York City, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2009

Dear Sara210:
We thank you for choosing the Ramada Eastside for your lodging needs. Coming frequently to NYC, you know a lot about standards in NYC hotels and we are grateful to you for posting such a nice review on Tripadvisor! Like our staff, our service and amenities maintain a high level of quality and hospitality. We are delighted to hear that you liked our staff and our amenities! We hope that your review will help other travelers to make the right choice for their hotel needs when they come to NY!
Thank you again!
Myriam from Apple Core Hotels

Write a ReviewReviews (1,665)

Reviewed September 2, 2009

We stayed for 3 nights, it was really clean but the room and the bathroom were small. It is really convenient, 10 min. away from Empire State by Walking, and 5-10 min. walk to the subway (to go to Time Square, Central Park, etc.) It was also the cheapest one we have found in downtown. Staff were friendly. But in the end they sold us a shuttle which will take us from the hotel to the LaGuardia Airport, they made us pay 40 bucks, but then we have realized that if we had had the taxi instead, we could have paid only 25 bucks. :/ The breakfast is really basic, but satisfactory. Besides there is a Brazilian Coffee Shop Just adjacent to the hotel.. Awesome! I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends

Dear AJtheTraveller:
Thanks for staying with us at the Ramada Eastside! It is our constant endeavor to make sure that our guests enjoy their experience with us and we are delighted to hear that you did! Our guests really like our location. The Ramada Eastside is indeed located in the genteel Murray Hill neighborhood. The hotel is minutes from the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden, Gramercy Park and Union Square and a short walk from midtown, prime Fifth Avenue shopping and Macy's. Cleanliness is also very important to us and our housekeepers work hard to make sure the rooms are clean, fresh and comfortable. Our breakfast features healthy food to start a good day: cereals, bagels, fruits, yogurts, apple juice, orange juice and much more! We would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you faced with the shuttle. Please be assured that we will investigate further this issue to make sure it doesn’t happen again!
Thank you again and we would be more than happy to welcome you again!

Reviewed August 21, 2009

My husband, my father-in-law, and a friend of ours stayed at the Ramada Eastside from 8/9-8/13. This is a really good hotel to stay at when in New York, and hopefully my review of the most important things below will help anyone looking for a decently-priced hotel make a good decision.

When I was looking at hotels, I really needed the place we stayed to have good amenities, medium-to-large sized rooms, be accessible to the subways, have internet access and have some kind of breakfast. In essence, I was looking for a mid-range hotel with thoughtful amenities.

The Apple Core Hotel chain fit the bill for me and my family quite well.

Pricing
The prices are reasonable, ranging from $109/single person/queen sized bed/night to anywhere around $200. I kept watching their rates online, and was able to get the lowest prices. They offer a 10% AAA discount if you show your card when you check in. In NY, that was a great price, especially for how spacious the rooms are.

Rooms
We all had rooms with queen-sized beds. The rooms have been renovated over the last 6 months, and are contemporary in design (sage green, dark brown, oatmeal colors). There is enough room to walk around, and because of the high ceilings, you won't feel boxed in or claustorphobic. You won't have a ton of space, as this is NY, but you won't be cramped either. The beds are Tempur-pedic mattresses (aka memory foam), and comfortable. The linens are nice cotton, and while there aren't luxurious duvet covers, the blankets were warm. The fairly new pillows are standard foam ones. The room had a full bathroom, even though it was small, with a shower, tub, sink, toilet and hair dryer. There is plenty of drawer space, if you need to unpack for a longer trip (2 nightstands and a chest of 4 drawers). The closet was small, but there was an in-room safe, an iron and ironing board and luggage rack, so we had everything we needed. The rooms also had nice new flat screen TVs. The air conditioner worked great...we didn't need the heater as it was hot as hell in NYC...and the large window in the room gave a lot of light. Thankfully, there are blackout curtains! There was a desk and coffee maker in the room, too.

Amenities
We really liked the free WiFi and business center in the hotel. The Wifi is not super fast, and is shared by all guests in the hotel, so there are times when it will be really slow. Also, there aren't any ethernet ports in the rooms so you won't have the option of plugin in a cable. We were able to get email, but couldn't really watch the news or shows online on Amazon Video-on-Demand because the internet wasn't fast enough. There were plenty of brochures and maps for things to do in NY, if you need them, at the reception. The continental breakfast was basic, but good enough with mostly juices, milk, cereals, bagels, breads, English muffins, coffee, tea and boiled eggs. The breakfast items do run out by the last 1/2 hour of the breakfast time, so make sure to get there with enough time. If you miss it, there is the Brasil Coffee Shop attached to the hotel, where you can get a bigger variety of food. There is a fitness center, which we didn't use, and vending machines on the ground floor, that run out if the hotel is busy. The hotel also has a baggage check, so you can leave your luggage in their storeroom after you check out.

Staff
The staff was friendly at the hotel. Our best experiences were with Priya and Harry, but everyone was nice. The housekeeping folks are cool and do a great job.

Neighborhood
Murray Hill is a quieter part of NY. We didn't want to stay in the heart of Times Square, so this worked out to be a great location. We didn't hear the sirens or cabbies or crowds at night like you would in other parts of the city. Getting to the 4,5,6 subway lines was easy, as the 28th St & 34th St. stations are equidistance away, about 4 blocks. The neighborhood has some great Italian and Indian restaurants that are open late, and most of them can be found on 3rd Avenue or Lexington. Chinese Mirch, Lannam Vietnamese, and Turkish Kitchen were our favorites!

Things to Know
Overall, our stay at the hotel was really good. There are two quirks that I think anyone staying there should know about. One, there are two small elevators for the entire hotel. Guests and maintenance / housekeeping all use the same elevators. It can get pretty crazy around breakfast and check-out time in the morning, so plan for a wait. Also, ice machines are only on the 6th and 9th floors. If you get a room on either of those floors, definitely request ones away from them, as all guests who want ice at the hotel will come up there to get it, and you'll hear the ice machine working all night.

Along with these quirks, there is one warning that I would give guests, simply because we experienced this. When you make your reservation, make sure that the credit card you will charge the room to is valid and is not in jeopardy of expiring. Our card expired -- which is obviously not the hotel's fault -- but because they authorize the charge for the first night of your stay to your card even before you arrive, you will need it to be valid. Since our's wasn't, the hotel didn't hold a room for us, and we didn't have a place to stay on 8/8 like we thought we did. We had a room booked for myself and my husband one night before the rest of our family joined us, and we felt like the hotel should have called us, since we'd booked multiple other rooms. We were in a bind since we didn't find out until we got there in the evening, after having flown from Los Angeles. We could have given them another credit card, no problem, but they had given our room away. Priya, who was on duty at the front desk, was helpful in trying to get us another room in the city, and she let us keep our bags in their bag check, but that was a hassle we didn't need that first evening. It could have been avoided very easily by a phone call. Luckily we found a place to stay, and everything worked out, but it was more expensive that we had budgeted for. So...word of warning, just be careful.

Again, our stay was extremely comfortable and we would definitely stay again for a short trip.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Dear RecklessSage:
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review about our property!
We admire your great attention to details! Our team continuously works towards improving our service and your review definitely helps us! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the cleanliness and the decor of the rooms. Our hotel was indeed very recently renovated with brand new furniture and flat screen TVs, resulting in a modern style! Our guests also enjoy our Tempur-pedic mattresses. Those are memory foam beds that take the shape of your body for a perfect fit for you and an excellent night of sleep! We do apologize for the inconvenience you faced with the credit card information. As you pointed out, we put the first night on hold on your credit card 24 hours before your arrival. We hope that you understand that we have to make sure our guests provide us with a valid credit card to guarantee the reservation. Nevertheless, we apologize for not calling you and we will take further steps to ensure that it will not happen again. We hope that you will give us another chance to serve you better in the future!

Reviewed August 18, 2009

We were very satisfied with our stay at this hotel. The rooms were updated and very clean. Check in and out effortless. Helpful staff. Free internet and breakfast were a bonus. Location easy to get to all areas of the city.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends

Dear llbb2121:
Thank you for staying with us! Guest satisfaction is the most rewarding thing for us and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed you stay at the Ramada Eastside and that our standards were up to your expectations of service, comfort and value! We truly appreciate your comments and would be very happy to welcome you again very soon!

Reviewed August 2, 2009

The hotel is located in a neighborhood that one could describe as Little India. There are a lot of nice Indian restaurants around (many of them completely vegetarian). We also tried many other types of restaurants nearby and were never disappointed. The hotel is on the green line of the subway (#6), which services a lot of museums and other tourist hotspots. Just walk around in all directions to get to know the neighborhood and you will eventually find what you are looking for. Free wireless that worked. The price was right.

Now the bad side...

I chose the hotel based on the reviews posted on the Trip Advisor website (the one with the mouse and the other with the cockroach were not posted then, otherwise I would not have booked with them!!!). Although efficient, the front desk staff are most unfriendly. They never greet you when you enter or exit the hotel. They just stare at you.

We had a very small hotel room -- not ideal for working if you are there on business (a small desk was placed right next to the TV). There was a queen bed with very little space around for two people. It seemed quite clean, although I had an allergy to either the cleaning products or something else in the room. (Another guest was scratching uncontrollably in the elevator.) On some cleaning days, our room was cleaned to perfection. On others, they dropped clean towels and supplies in the bathroom, and did not bother doing the bed! We were there for ten days, and although I do not like wasting water on cleaning sheets excessively, I knew for sure that they did not change them until day 8 because I cut myself accidentally and got a blood spot on the sheets, which was there for an eternity!

The bathroom smelled of pee when we got there, and the smell never disappeared. I don't think they clean the bathroom floors with disinfectant. For four days straight, our bathroom floor was never cleaned (the same hair was there -- and when it's so small, believe me, you notice).

The remote control did not work. My husband went to the front desk to request new batteries. They sent the audio guy upstairs who showed up, I think, with the same remote. It worked while he tried it, and then it did not work again. I did not bother with it again.

They encourage people to post good reviews on Trip Advisor, which I do not like very much. They should worry more about getting a supervisor to check the cleanliness of the rooms and about dealing with pest control. I did hear some suspicious noise one night.

I will definitely not return, although I liked the location. The size of the room was not a big concern -- I was not expecting the Plaza for the price I paid --, but I do not tolerate uncleanliness and unwanted visitors.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
applecorehotelsstaff, Myriam from Apple Core Hotels at The Hotel @ New York City, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2009

Dear Vovelle,
Thank you for selecting our hotel for your lodging needs. We understand how disappointing it must have been to have such problems during your stay and we are extremely sorry to learn that. Our staff is trained to be as helpful and pleasant as possible. We are truly grateful for helping us by bringing this issue to our attention. We have taken some serious steps to ensure that it will not happen again. We are glad to hear that you found our staff to be efficient and our rooms clean. Cleanliness is very important to us and our housekeepers work hard to make sure our rooms are clean fresh, and comfortable. We are also very surprised about our housekeeper not doing the bed. The linen is changed every time a guest checks out of a room so the next guest can have clean linen. We encourage guests to let us know if they need anything during their stay, including having the linen changed. At any time, our staff stands ready to ensure that our guests have everything that they need. The overwhelming majority of our customers are very happy and satisfied with their experience and we hope that if you choose to stay with us again in the future your experience will be a happy one too.

Reviewed July 31, 2009

Selected this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews and the great AAA price. First impressions? Large room with two very comfortable queen size beds, strong air conditioning, good location, fast free WIFI. The surprise? There was a mouse in our room! Need I say more?

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank MsTravelHag

Dear MsTravelHag,
Thank you very much for posting a review on our hotel! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our rooms, location , price and amenities. As you mentioned, we offer free WiFi, but our guests can also have a complimentary Continental breakfast every morning, have access to a fitness and a business center and much more! We are also surprised about the mouse in your room! We are taking preventive steps to make sure this kind of incident doesn't
happen: eliminators come every week to our property. As a result, this must have been an isolated incident. Nevertheless, we apologize for the inconvenience and we hope that you will give us another chance to serve you better in the future.

Reviewed July 27, 2009

My friend and I met up in NYC for a girls' weekend getaway. Initially, we were impressed by the size and cleanliness of the room. For an older building, it seemed to be quite well maintained and it was obvious that the rooms had been modernized. Still, it was nothing fancy but quite nice for the price.

However, on our first evening, my friend found a cockroach in our coffee maker. Fortunately, we only saw and killed the one but where there's one cockroach, there are always many more. That was off-putting enough for us to keep all of our belongings zipped up in our suitcases for our entire stay.

There was also a strange incident with some towels that were hanging in our closet. They were damp and left on hangers. Not sure why they were there, we left the closet door open one day so that the housekeeping staff would see the towels and change or remove them. However, the towels stayed there for our entire visit.

The staff was competent. There weren't overly friendly or helpful but they weren't rude or unhelpful either. They served their function, nothing more or less and that was just fine with us. One slight annoyance with our check-out though. We contacted the front desk at approximately 11:15am (45 minutes before our departure) and asked them to call an airport limousine to pick us up at noon. Five minutes after our request, the front desk called our room and told us that our car had arrived, and to please come downstairs. It was a minor incident but irritating because we had to rush to finish packing and check ou of the hotel.

On the plus side, we had booked a smoking room but were hoping that we could get a non-smoking room. The hotel wasn't able to accomodate us but the smoking room was was very clean and did not smell of smoke at all. If we didn't know that we were given a smoking room, we would not have been able to tell. Also, the beds were very comfortable.

All in all, it was not the most enjoyable stay but it was by no means the worst. This hotel cost approximately $30/night less than any other hotel we could find of a comparable class/rating. We had originally reserved a room in another hotel which was brand new and I'm sure that we wouldn't have had the bug issues in the new hotel, but we decided to save a little money and go with this hotel.

The problems weren't enough to put a damper on our visit, but it would have been much nicer to have a bug-free stay. It's an old building and I know there's only so much that one can really do to completely eliminate a cockroach infestation. This may be the reason why this hotel is available for a lower price than their competitors. We got exactly what we paid for.

You need to consider your comfort level with cockroaches before booking with this hotel. If you're ok with them, then this hotel is a very good value. If they tend to gross you out, then it's worth the investment to book a more expensive hotel. Personally, I probably won't stay at this hotel again because of the cockroach issue. I understand the difficulties of dealing with cockroaches, but that doesn't mean I'm ok with sleeping with them.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank k8_raleigh
applecorehotelsstaff, Myriam from Apple Core Hotels at The Hotel @ New York City, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2009

Dear k8_raleigh:
We truly appreciate you having chosen the Ramada Eastside for your lodging needs! It was nice to hear that you found our rooms very clean and well maintained, and that you enjoyed our Tempurpedic beds. Our guests love those beds as they adapt to the shape of your body and hence, make it the perfect bed for you! We are extremely sorry for the incident that you faced, it is shocking and we were surprised to hear that we had a cockroach in your room.
As you mentioned, it's an old building, but we are taking preventive steps to make sure this kind of incident doesn't happen: eliminators come every week to our property. As a result, this must have been an isolated incident.
Please accept our sincerest apologies for the discomfort you went through during your stay. The overwhelming majority of our customers are very happy and satisfied with their experience and we hope that if you choose to stay with us again in the future your experience will be a happy one too.