“Good For Location and Price But...”

The Hotel @ New York City
Ranked #318 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 6, 2013

My husband, teenaged son and I stayed at the Ramada over Thanksgiving weekend. For the price and location, it's okay, but we ran into a series of frustrating issues. No one thing was major, but cumulatively, it added up.

First, the pros:

o As mentioned, great location and, for NYC, price
o Large room -- one of the largest I've seen in NYC
o Comfortable beds and pillows
o Timely response to requests

Now, the issues:

o When I went to check in, the woman behind the desk was on the phone, and by the conversation, not with a guest. Instead of telling whoever was on the other end that a guest was checking in, she continued her conversation for another two or so minutes.

Within 10 minutes of arriving in our room, we encountered first three issues below:

o When my son turned on the cold water faucet on the bathroom sink, there was a big "whoosh" sound followed by brown -- very brown, not just tinted -- water flowing from the spout. The same thing happened with the hot water. We ran the water for about 10 minutes before it cleared up. (As an environmentally conscious person, that was painful.)
o When I went to iron my son's shirt, I found that although operational, the "squirt" part of the iron was completely broken off and the bottom of the iron had some stains that transferred.
o The television didn't work. To the hotel's credit, someone came up very quickly and fixed it.
o The bathtub didn't drain. We didn't have time for someone to come up and fix it immediately so by the time the third person (my poor husband) showered, there was water in the tub well past mid-calf. Again, to the hotel's credit, it was sort of fixed by the following morning. It still drained VERY slowly.

Many of the reviews of this hotel were very good, so maybe we were just unlucky, but I'm not sure that I would chance a stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Thaddaway
applecorehotelsstaff, Marketing & E-Commerce Associate at The Hotel @ New York City, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Dear Thaddaway,
Thank you for your review and for bringing some of these issues to our attention. We’re surprised that you were not helped right away by the front desk agent. They are trained to be as helpful and friendly as possible. We will certainly have a word with our staff and we sincerely apologize for this.
We understand your concern about wasting water, but unfortunately during the weekend you stayed, there was a problem with the water pump and it was shut off for about 3-4 hours. This is why you heard the noise and saw the brown water after it was turned back on. We’re sorry that the iron wasn’t fully functional. We will certainly look into replacing the one in your room. We apologize for the other minor issues you faced in your room. Please note that these issues are generally an exception to the rule and are uncommon.
The majority of our guests are very pleased with their stay. The location and value they receive exceeds their expectations. We hope you will give us another chance for any future stays in New York.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels

Reviewed December 3, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I never write reviews but I hope no one else will have to go through what my husband and I experienced. My husband and I booked a room for one night online with ramada.com. We arrived to find we were charged for two rooms. The woman at the front desk said there was nothing she could do and gave me the number to call Ramada customer service... long story short, after customer service blaming the hotel and the hotel blaming Ramada customer service I still am out the money for a room I didn't reserve. I was told I had to file a complaint and they would do an investigation which could take up to 60 days. 60 days to possibly get money back for a room I didn't reserve?? To add insult to injury, they said this happens all of the time... yet they do nothing to fix it. Im filing a fraudulent complaint with my credit card company! My advice, go elsewhere. These people are taking advantage of customers, no customer service. Their policy is they cannot issue refunds for reservations booked through ramada.com because they are a franchise? Even though the woman at the front desk said obviously its just you and your husband and you only need one room AND we only received an email confirmation for the one reservation ( the one and only we booked) nothing could be done. If this review helps one person decide to go elsewhere I will be happy.

• Stayed: November 2013
5  Thank Waliso
applecorehotelsstaff, Marketing & E-Commerce Associate at The Hotel @ New York City, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Waliso,
Thank you for your review. We’re disappointed to hear about your experience with reservations. Unfortunately it is not in our policy to issue refunds for cancellations made less than 24hours prior to arrival. We clearly state this when making a reservation and in our confirmation letter. We do apologize for the inconvenience.
We certainly do not try to take advantage of our customers in any way. Our cancellation policy is very fair and after further investigation it seems that there were two reservations made under your name. Again, please accept our sincerest apologies as it is against our cancellation policy to refund one of them. Holding the room for a credit card guaranteed guest ensures that we keep the room overnight and results in our being unable to offer it to others who may want to stay on that particular night.
We hope you will give us anther chance on your next visit to New York.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed at the Ramada for 6 nights in November 2013. Staff were pleasant, and the room was small and serviced well. Facilities in the Hotel were ok, and breakfast was good. The bed was very comfortable and we'd recommend the Ramada as somewhere handy to base yourself while visiting Midtown and Lower Manhattan.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff H
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed here with friends over the weekend and found the hotel entirely satisfactory. Rooms are small, but it is a NYC hotel so not unexpected. Beds were fantastically comfortable and bathrooms were very clean and well maintained. Included breakfast was great, not hot, but had everything else you would need. Bagels were real New York bagels! Front desk staff was very helpful and accommodating. The location is great, easy to get cabs on Lexington and on 3rd Avenue, and an easy walk to great restaurants. I am a travel agent and would definitely recommend this hotel for clients looking for a "good value" hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank AndoverGramma
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Very happy with the choice of this hotel. 2 blocks from the subway, lots of restaurants in the vicinity as well as shops. Staff very friendly and happy to help - easily booked us a car service to the airport.
Bed very comfortable, room not overly large but big enough - good sized bathroom. Maids very good at leaving the room well stocked. Not noisy. Breakfast very good - good selection of cereals, juices, coffee & tea, bagels, toast, donuts etc - get down before 8 to ensure you get a table (good sized breakfast room but lots of guests).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Chels P
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We recently stayed here as a group of four. The room was very small (especially for a foursome), but it was very clean, and had all the amenities that we we needed/wanted (flat screen TV, safe, coffee maker, exercise room, etc.). Beds were so comfortable!!!

The hotel itself is beautiful from the outside, and clean and organized on the inside. The staff were very professional and helpful when asked questions.

The location is great - walking distance to the subway, some really great restaurants and so close to the Empire State Building!

Breakfast was fairly good, though I recommend that you get there early because the good items ran out quickly!

In terms of price, it was on the cheaper end of all the places we looked at, but still overall rather expensive (but this is to be expected for NYC).

Overall, this was a great stay. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends